Seems like every ball has improved, then why change?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
In reading lots of ad copy regarding the new Callaway, Titleist, and Srixon balls, is it just me or did anyone else come to the conclusion, that baring any revolutionary changes, the ball you're currently using is probably still the best ball fo you.

I noticed that a lot of the ad copy makes it sound like the changes are revolutionary, but they always end with... "if you are a high swing player, it might add a couple yards to your game". Which in my case, being a slow swinger, means that I won't see squat by switching to the newer version. I'm betting the Snell MTB-X will still be the longest ball with great spin characteristics and all the others will pretty much be exactly where they were last year.

Ball selection isn't just about distance. It's about spin, feel, trajectory and more.

In reading lots of ad copy regarding the new Callaway, Titleist, and Srixon balls, is it just me or did anyone else come to the conclusion, that baring any revolutionary changes, the ball you're currently using is probably still the best ball fo you.

I noticed that a lot of the ad copy makes it sound like the changes are revolutionary, but they always end with... "if you are a high swing player, it might add a couple yards to your game". Which in my case, being a slow swinger, means that I won't see squat by switching to the newer version. I'm betting the Snell MTB-X will still be the longest ball with great spin characteristics and all the others will pretty much be exactly where they were last year.
I'll play any premium ball, prefer the newest generation.

For the most part, I have not been able to tell a noticeable change from year-to-year except on few occasions. For instance, when I use to play Chromesoft, I liked the Gen 1 ball but then started playing the Gen 2 ball and found it just performed better for me, so I played the Gen 2 exclusively even though I could get the Gen 1 a bit cheaper. Now that I play the MTB Black, I can pretty much sub the original MTB for the MTB Black and I really cannot tell the difference. Both perform really well for me.

I like that Bridgestone has/had a ball that helped straighten out my slice. It was either the e6 or the B330rx. Now that I think I have my slice fixed through other means I'm still interested in what Bridgestone has to offer me, a slow swinger. Their smart urethane REACTIV covers sound like the neatest thing since Nintendo and cooler than the other side of the pillow. I want to try that out.

I'm sure the other site will be doing a ball comparison and I'll wait for it to see which ball is performing and which is just changing their ad copy. For the average golfer, it's extremely difficult to compare golf balls.

I like that Bridgestone has/had a ball that helped straighten out my slice. It was either the e6 or the B330rx. Now that I think I have my slice fixed through other means I'm still interested in what Bridgestone has to offer me, a slow swinger. Their smart urethane REACTIV covers sound like the neatest thing since Nintendo and cooler than the other side of the pillow. I want to try that out.

I've used some of the Bridgestone balls (RX and BX) and really liked the RX, but found other balls that performed just as well and were not quite as expensive. That's the other thing, for every ball that you find that you really like, chances are you can find one that performs just as well at a lower price.

id guess you might wanna dig a little deeper. Check out the new Bridgestone ball just released yesterday and what theyve managed to develop. More distance off the tee and more spin around the greens is a huge advancement. besides, the price stays the same.

I'll use up what I have for current QSTs than I'll have no choice but to upgrade to the new model QSTs.

What about durability improvements? What about thinner covers to increase that speed for us slower swingers? (95-98 for me)
There is a lot more into it than just saying it is longer.

id guess you might wanna dig a little deeper. Check out the new Bridgestone ball just released yesterday and what theyve managed to develop. More distance off the tee and more spin around the greens is a huge advancement. besides, the price stays the same.

Sounds a lot like what Callaway said about the new CS and CSX. Honestly, don't you think every iteration of a ball will include this kind of hyperbole?

Sounds a lot like what Callaway said about the new CS and CSX. Honestly, don't you think every iteration of a ball will include this kind of hyperbole?
If you havent taken the time to research or read into it you wont know. I know this, Bridgestones technology is patented and noone else can replicate it.

You could also still be playing balata balls and old hickories for clubs......why change at all?

It may be hyperbole, but from listening to the podcast from the 4 THP'ers at the show that spoke with Bridgestone, there have been years and years of research put into the new balls and the REACTIV cover. One of them said it's Tiger's ball. He's been working with Bridgestone over the past 20 years.

One of the demonstrations put on was just bouncing a new ball. Apparently letting it bounce under its own weight from a height resulted in one rebound. Bouncing the same ball with more force resulted in a more energetic rebound. The same thing can be expected off of a club face. Hit it with a driver and it flies off the face; hit it with a wedge and it stays on the face longer to engage the grooves promoting spin.

Hyperbole? Maybe. Advertising? Sure. I'm still interested to see the ball in play and whether it works for me and my slow swing. But that's why there are many ball manufacturers out there... more choices is a good thing!

I'll take that bet.

I'll use up what I have for current QSTs than I'll have no choice but to upgrade to the new model QSTs.

Check out Bridgestone RX and RXS especially with new releases.

I play ProV1's and there are slight differences year to year, but they still play like a ProV1 if that makes sense. I know they are going to feel great, fly like I want them too inside 100, and hit roll out like I want them too on the green. Off the tee I have a hard time telling much difference in any ball except playing a Callaway SuperSoft I hit the ball 10 yards further. They just do nothing around the green. chipping is akin to driving on ice with those balls. It's like please stop, please stop....

If there are improvements, then why wouldn't you at least consider trying them? Better cover, better wear, any of that is always a good thing. Even if you don't change a single stat, a ball that lasts better for you is always a good thing.

Assuming you’re happy with your current ball, every club in your bag and shafts installed in those clubs, and most importantly won’t be changing anything about them going forward - yes I think your current ball would be perfectly fine to stay with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure the other site will be doing a ball comparison and I'll wait for it to see which ball is performing and which is just changing their ad copy. For the average golfer, it's extremely difficult to compare golf balls.

How hard is it to grab a sleeve of balls from every manufacturer and test them using your own swing? And as that specific site has now changed their stance on, what doesn’t necessarily work for them, might actually work better for certain types of golfers.

Back