Selecting wedges, brand and type—any help is appreciated!

get your last club checked for loft, then 3-4 degrees higher from there. You can look for the match clubs to your set, the wedges you are looking at are not close to the same shape and bounce of your set.

get your last club checked for loft, then 3-4 degrees higher from there. You can look for the match clubs to your set, the wedges you are looking at are not close to the same shape and bounce of your set.

Danny, you bring up an interesting point in club shape and bounce. Eye 2 wedges are certainly out there, but now that they are banned on the tour how will they be looked upon for amateur play?

I haven't swung an Eye 2 in a long time, but I played a SW mixed in with my crappy starter set back in the day. It was the best club I've ever owned.

BTW, I picked off a 50*/12* and a 60*/8* Tour-W off ebay. I'll hit them a bunch and see what happens. If I don't like 'em, I've only got about $50 per club invested in them . . . I'm excited to see what happens, it's my first complete set of wedges and first lob wedge.

What about some new Eye 2 XGs??

What about some new Eye 2 XGs??

Saw them, an option for sure. Going for about $100 per new, no? Are they pretty much the same as the old eye2's but with conforming grooves/the newer ping grip?

Saw them, an option for sure. Going for about $100 per new, no? Are they pretty much the same as the old eye2's but with conforming grooves/the newer ping grip?

I believe so. Maybe more than $100, but I believe they are the same as the original eye2s but with new CC grooves.

Went to the range today to hit my Tour-W 56* to get a better feel for it, and see if I wanted to get a 50* and 60* version of the club. I worked my way up the ladder from 56*/12* to the driver I just got (clearance?) at Sports Authority, a 9.5* Nike SQ Machspeed Str8 driver. It was my second time to the range with each since buying them.

It was tough to tell that much with the wedge because the ground was so wet and the lie was so thin, but I suspect I'll be happy completing the set of Tour-W's.

Anyway, by the time I got around to hitting the driver, I was really in a good place with my swing and I crushed the first four or five pretty long and straight(ish). Of course, I fell in love with the distance, and I started spraying it everywhere the next five balls.

I learned my lesson and went back down to low irons, and worked my way back up. I know I'm probably in need of a lesson (it has been over 20 years since my last), but I also know that you are so right about how important it is to practice the short game.

Glad I could help! Just keep practicing and you will see your scores coming down in no time I promise. It might start off 1 or 2 strokes per round but think about it this way! If you score 98-100 this week then next week you shoot 96-98 then the following shoot 93-95.... In no time you'll be down in the 80's.... Just my 2 cents worth. It worked for me... It might not for you but I assure you, If you keep working from 150 in you'll see a difference in no time! Good Luck!

The Eye 2's came in today, and I must say, it took half a bucket of balls to really make the adjustment from my 10-year-old Walter Hagan irons. Going from hitting the low irons to hitting the Tour-W 56* was a bit of an adjustment, as well. I may end up grabbing at least a PW to match my set . . .

Getting used to the SQ Machspeed Str8-Fit driver, but not the sound it makes. I hit it more consistent than my old Cleveland Launcher 400 Titanium w/ Grafalloy Blue stiff shaft, but I'm not convinced it is a longer club. I'll take the trade-off, though.

Glad I could help! Just keep practicing and you will see your scores coming down in no time I promise. It might start off 1 or 2 strokes per round but think about it this way! If you score 98-100 this week then next week you shoot 96-98 then the following shoot 93-95.... In no time you'll be down in the 80's.... Just my 2 cents worth. It worked for me... It might not for you but I assure you, If you keep working from 150 in you'll see a difference in no time! Good Luck!

The 80's is something I haven't seen since my junior year of high school, on or off a golf course! lol

The Eye 2's came in today, and I must say, it took half a bucket of balls to really make the adjustment from my 10-year-old Walter Hagan irons. Going from hitting the low irons to hitting the Tour-W 56* was a bit of an adjustment, as well. I may end up grabbing at least a PW to match my set . . .

Getting used to the SQ Machspeed Str8-Fit driver, but not the sound it makes. I hit it more consistent than my old Cleveland Launcher 400 Titanium w/ Grafalloy Blue stiff shaft, but I'm not convinced it is a longer club. I'll take the trade-off, though.

Sorry if this is a repeat comment...read all the others. An option is to get the serial number off one of the irons and go to a shop and have them order the PW for that set. It will be a little higher price since it's considered a "classic" by Ping but they make it. One awesome thing about Ping...you can always get a replacement if needed.

Sorry if this is a repeat comment...read all the others. An option is to get the serial number off one of the irons and go to a shop and have them order the PW for that set. It will be a little higher price since it's considered a "classic" by Ping but they make it. One awesome thing about Ping...you can always get a replacement if needed.

Sounds like good advice.

I finally completed that set of Tour W wedges, and I hit played them for a few rounds and about ten times out to the driving range. I liked them, but I found them to be so different from my Eye 2 irons that I just didn't feel comfortable taking full swings with them. If I were a better player with a more consistent and better stroke, maybe I wouldn't have had those kinds of problems.

At any rate, I decided to sell the Tour W's and pick off an Eye 2 pitching wedge and sand wedge off ebay. That was just what the doctor ordered, it seems, because now there is no drop off from how I hit my irons to how I hit my wedges. One of the posters (in addition to you) here gave me that advice in the first place, and at the end of the day they were right (thanks!). We'll see how that transitions from the range to the course this week, but I feel good every time I grab one of those Eye 2 wedges—which is half the battle for me!

Back