4hourrule

Callaway UW 17deg Tester... ask away.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
?
No,this is Not about Golf Clubs cuz let's face it, almost everyone has a story 🙄.
No, this is about Downsizing.
Wife and I had talked about it for several years. Twins finish College and move on :cry: so we have this house that takes forever to clean not to mention the Landscaping and Lawn.
We finally did it end of 2022 moving from MO to VA closer to families. We love our little house but... so many things I miss. So much Garage space, my Bar (although drinking all the Wine we had was nice 😀), lower level that was always cool.
Just wanted to know if I'm being nuts about this, and who else has gone through this?
P.S. didn't help when there was the Golf Simulator Giveaway/Review which would have fit perfectly in my Exercise area.

We’re on our 5 year plan, definitely staying busy on eBay, FB marketplace and Goodwill. I’ve got a giant garage and am trying to relegate myself to one portion that’s about the size of a one car garage. I’ve “retired” from hunting and shooting sports for the most part, fishing and golf is enough. Really trying to go minimalist on all the “stuff”. We have 4 daughters so the next house is going to be an interesting task. Sounds like we may need to double check what we’re after.

We’re on our 5 year plan, definitely staying busy on eBay, FB marketplace and Goodwill. I’ve got a giant garage and am trying to relegate myself to one portion that’s about the size of a one car garage. I’ve “retired” from hunting and shooting sports for the most part, fishing and golf is enough. Really trying to go minimalist on all the “stuff”. We have 4 daughters so the next house is going to be an interesting task. Sounds like we may need to double check what we’re after.
4 Daughters, ok so down to 3 Bathrooms 😀. You're gonna need the "Wedding Planner".
Darn, forgot about everything I sold. Oversized 3 Car Garage so sold an extra Car, Motorcycle, all my large Woodworking Equipment, boxes of Xmas lights etc.

We moved a little over a year ago. Love the new place and new town. There trade offs however. Previous house had a really nice deep 2 bay garage. New one not so much. New one is across street from golf course. Trade off. We couldn’t downsize much due to the fact that kids and grandkids come and stay so we needed to maintain that space. If kids all lived close by we could have down sized.

We moved a little over a year ago. Love the new place and new town. There trade offs however. Previous house had a really nice deep 2 bay garage. New one not so much. New one is across street from golf course. Trade off. We couldn’t downsize much due to the fact that kids and grandkids come and stay so we needed to maintain that space. If kids all lived close by we could have down sized.
Good point about trade offs. We now live in a Golf Community where I'll sometimes take my Motorcycle with a few Clubs to practice range- 3 min. Away.
And what is it with naming a Garage as a 2 Car, what'd they use Swatch Cars?

I'm on the other side and I'm sure that I'll still have sellers remorse.

We're going from a smaller house to a bigger house. I'll be adding 3 bedrooms (only adding a 1/2 bath), private office, second living space, children's play area and our garage is going from 18x18 to 36x22. I'll also be gaining a deck instead of a patio and an entire back yard. I will be in the market for 2025 or 2026 depending on when I can afford it golf simulator set up in the 3rd stall.

I'm sure that I'll miss how easy our place is to clean right now and how cheap everything is. I have never paid over 200 a month for utilities since I've been there, which is shocking to me. I can't see having a ton of remorse because it's for the good of the family but everything is going to add up to be more in every way.

3 beds 2 baths 1 story 1800 Sq. ft. on Page Belcher Golf Course Tulsa OK. Still miss that house!

I think I will regret selling this place once we build a new place in a couple of years. The town is awesome and the schools are great but there is no land to build on here.

No remorse here but thoughts. Had a resort like house as the family was growing up. It was just too much to handle. So we downsized moved. Have moved 3 more times since then. Moving sucks too.

No,this is Not about Golf Clubs cuz let's face it, almost everyone has a story 🙄.
No, this is about Downsizing.
Wife and I had talked about it for several years. Twins finish College and move on :cry: so we have this house that takes forever to clean not to mention the Landscaping and Lawn.
We finally did it end of 2022 moving from MO to VA closer to families. We love our little house but... so many things I miss. So much Garage space, my Bar (although drinking all the Wine we had was nice 😀), lower level that was always cool.
Just wanted to know if I'm being nuts about this, and who else has gone through this?
P.S. didn't help when there was the Golf Simulator Giveaway/Review which would have fit perfectly in my Exercise area.
I really appreciate this post. We are a small number of years away from being empty nesters. Yesterday I literally started dreaming of down sizing…maybe one of those “Tiny” houses on some land (no way the wife could go that extreme). I am following this thread.

We are in the beginnings of moving from san Diego area to Ventura or Goleta. Daughter, SIL and grandson are in Goleta. We thought we were in our last home, done a ton of upgrades throughout the last 20+ years here. But the 4 hr drive through the greater LA area has just become ridiculous To do twice a month. Goleta area has several courses I like. Ventura, Oxnard and Camarillo have courses that I know nothing about but I know they are there. Five years ago we were reluctant to consider this but we both agree being closer to help out and be more a part of the grandsons life was more important. I’m taking this opportunity to cleaning out the decades of accumulated stuff I don’t use……but think I might need at sometime.

We're 3 years away. My wife told me to start looking. We've been in our current home 35 years, we built it a couple years after we were married. I'm not as emotionally attached as she is but even she realizes it is way more than we need going forward. I'm sure this will be one of the more difficult things we will do together.

I think that making a major life change will take time to adjust too.
I can't wait to retire and move somewhere where I can play golf 12 months in a row.

We’ve been talking about our downsizing plan for a few years. We’ve still got some time until we start it but I’m already thinking I’ll regret when we do.

We had a big dipsie do on that this year. We sold our house, moved across the country to retire near one of our daughters’ family and initially thought the other daughters’ family was heading this way too.

Sold all our furniture figuring we’d downsize and didn’t want to be constrained by current furniture on which house we choose.

Got out here and other daughter’s family settled elsewhere and my mom moved up here. Suddenly, this became the epicenter for family visits, including my brothers and their families.

So instead of downsizing, we went the other way and now have a 4,100 sq. ft. house on half an acre—and had to fully furnish it!

Must say we’ve had fun doing so and get the last of the furnishings Monday and next year we’ll finish the landscape changes.

Good thing my health is good!

Very sorry for your being down on that. I have no knowledge of the area you chose to retire to, but like you we have done same, though we had vacationed here for about 23 years before making the actual move.

Old house was about 7000-7200 sqft (plus 2 car garage). This house is about 2700 with garage underneath. No question there are challenges, but we have decided to grin and bare it - looked forward to this for a solid 15 years before it happened. Had to get rid of so much stuff - can't begin to list it all. Still glad we did it and happy to be here. So, time heals all - as they say, be happy and explore - look forward to the next chanpter (and all those still to come.).

I think you have to really dial in your mindset at this point in life. My dad & uncles are the generation of “the most toys wins”. A lot of the stuff is more like trophies and in some respects getting rid of anything is an admission of aging, defeat and inability to do “the thing” anymore. You have to ask yourself:

“Is it the thing or the idea of the thing”

I understand the hope of doing something, someday. There’s also the misery of wanting it and failing to do it. Not to mention seeing the “thing” on a daily basis as a reminder that you ain’t gonna do it.

So for me, at least, I’ve taken the mindset of what I really want vs. what’s in the way of what I want, knowing there are time and financial limitations. Kinda leave behind a lot of the things of my youth and look forward to the next chapters. It’s quite liberating.

I’ll add: don’t mistake the “I” for “just me”. My wife and I talk a lot about it and if anything, she knows there will be more golf clubs down the road and I know there will be more dogs. 🤣

I'm on the other side and I'm sure that I'll still have sellers remorse.

We're going from a smaller house to a bigger house. I'll be adding 3 bedrooms (only adding a 1/2 bath), private office, second living space, children's play area and our garage is going from 18x18 to 36x22. I'll also be gaining a deck instead of a patio and an entire back yard. I will be in the market for 2025 or 2026 depending on when I can afford it golf simulator set up in the 3rd stall.

I'm sure that I'll miss how easy our place is to clean right now and how cheap everything is. I have never paid over 200 a month for utilities since I've been there, which is shocking to me. I can't see having a ton of remorse because it's for the good of the family but everything is going to add up to be more in every way.
36×22 :love: :love: :love::love:

No remorse here but thoughts. Had a resort like house as the family was growing up. It was just too much to handle. So we downsized moved. Have moved 3 more times since then. Moving sucks too.
I stopped counting moves after 12

I really appreciate this post. We are a small number of years away from being empty nesters. Yesterday I literally started dreaming of down sizing…maybe one of those “Tiny” houses on some land (no way the wife could go that extreme). I am following this thread.
A couple Relatives are looking into that in W. VA No thanks, my Wife likes Size... 😉

We had a big dipsie do on that this year. We sold our house, moved across the country to retire near one of our daughters’ family and initially thought the other daughters’ family was heading this way too.

Sold all our furniture figuring we’d downsize and didn’t want to be constrained by current furniture on which house we choose.

Got out here and other daughter’s family settled elsewhere and my mom moved up here. Suddenly, this became the epicenter for family visits, including my brothers and their families.

So instead of downsizing, we went the other way and now have a 4,100 sq. ft. house on half an acre—and had to fully furnish it!

Must say we’ve had fun doing so and get the last of the furnishings Monday and next year we’ll finish the landscape changes.

Good thing my health is good!
Ouch. Furnishings are fun but not the best time to buy.

Very sorry for your being down on that. I have no knowledge of the area you chose to retire to, but like you we have done same, though we had vacationed here for about 23 years before making the actual move.

Old house was about 7000-7200 sqft (plus 2 car garage). This house is about 2700 with garage underneath. No question there are challenges, but we have decided to grin and bare it - looked forward to this for a solid 15 years before it happened. Had to get rid of so much stuff - can't begin to list it all. Still glad we did it and happy to be here. So, time heals all - as they say, be happy and explore - look forward to the next chanpter (and all those still to come.).
Oh I love the location, just miss being able to stretch out. 😀 2200 isn't bad, but what we came from... shoulder shrug.

Ouch. Furnishings are fun but not the best time to buy.
Do you mean inflation and 4-month wait times on orders of stuff custom or not in stock? Yeah we had to navigate that.

So I went from a big place, to a little place, back to a big place. I would not call it "remorse", but I did not like the reduced space when went smaller. It could have been poor design; but in general, I like having certain spaces at a certain size - kitchen for example - I really want to have a proper space to prepare/cook. And I love my outdoor space now - garden, sitting areas, etc.

Back