Setup for flexibility challenged

braveheart

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,
I see in many of your replies that you advocate a back foot perpendicular to the target line and keeping flex in your back knee on the back swing. Does that not limit the amount of turn into and back swing and make it easier to come over the top? Especially if you lack the flexibility. I feel so restricted when I setup with a straight right foot.
I tend to naturally setup in a slightly closed stance, back foot flared out. Decent contact most of the time but my miss is usually a push/slice but I a can hit a hard pull if I strengthen grip too much. I am often told that I don't finish my swing well, I cut it off or run out of right arm.
Please educate me on this. Thanks.
Mike

Freddie,
I see in many of your replies that you advocate a back foot perpendicular to the target line and keeping flex in your back knee on the back swing. Does that not limit the amount of turn into and back swing and make it easier to come over the top? Especially if you lack the flexibility. I feel so restricted when I setup with a straight right foot.
I tend to naturally setup in a slightly closed stance, back foot flared out. Decent contact most of the time but my miss is usually a push/slice but I a can hit a hard pull if I strengthen grip too much. I am often told that I don't finish my swing well, I cut it off or run out of right arm.
Please educate me on this. Thanks.
Mike

I have serious back and hip issues and was taught that flaring the back foot out would allow you to make a larger turn on the backswing and flaring the right foot helps you follow through.

I've tried it a few times, but seem to make too large of a turn with my hips on the backswing and kind of get stuck there.

Braveheart,
I just may be the least flexible person in the whole wide world! Ok, that is a vast overstatement but I too struggle with flexibility.
Two thing that really gave helped me are 1. Dropping your right foot back say, maybe 6-8". This gives a good start for your backswing, and gives room to come through and complete your swing on a inside out (vs over the top, and across the ball from the outside) swing path.
2. Flare that front foot just a touch to the intended target (only an inch or so open from square)
This has helped me feel more loose and free throughout my swing. I hope it helps you.

Freddie will be in shortly, and will give you great advise!

How big of a turn do you want? If you need to flare your foot to make a turn or a bigger turn then I'd work on flexibility. Start stretching so that you don't feel so tight.

If your body only allow for a limited turn when setup correctly then that the swing you have. The results of the swing are really your new reality. Opening the hips or back foot to cheat that lack of flexibility will only bring greater problems.

The square back foot and flexed knee is designed to limit the back swing and increase the coil. If either is not in place then consistency will be limited. Can you learn to play like this and have enjoyment, yes! 100% yes! But if you are wanting more out of your game I would advise follow the tips. But more importantly you can stretch in your living room for 20 minutes a day or during your favorite show.

Bo Jackson did sit-ups and push up during jeopardy and wheel of fortune. He turned out ok.

Like sitting on the loud paper waiting for the Dr to come take a look at you haha

Haha - that's exactly my thoughts!

Seems like I read all sorts of opinions about what's best for coiling for distance.

I've had limited flexibility in my mid back forever (having regular physio to try and get some movement in there) and I can only do a 3/4 swing at most. I have always flared my back foot....

Until last week - when Freddie encouraged square foot with knee flex as a fix for my spinning feet and I had a couple of rounds with some of the best striking for a long time.
I felt I had more stability and balance, and as I said, strike was great (for me lol).

I feel if I stick with the program, it'll help me make the most of what I've got.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I am a PT and have done some stretching in the past (yoga) that has made me feel less restricted. I will put more emphasis on that for the rest of this off season (northeast winter) and strive to be more attentive to the setup Freddie advocates. Better coil, stability and balance as well as consistency seem to be good reasons to adopt it.

Back