Birdman03

Reaction score
Handicap
I have noted that if I just rotate back to the top and down through the ball the club will stay too steep. To shallow it out I must consciously bow my lead wrist.

Looking at high level ball strikers (see Lee Trevino example attached), they all do some combination of "sinking" into the ground while rolling the wrists/forearms to flatten the shaft.

Do you intentionally incorporate a shallowing move? It would be nice to make that happen automatically.

Attachments

• Shallowing.jpg
    Shallowing.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have never done anything intentionally to shallow the club. I’ve always found it is something that naturally happens when you sequence correctly. Starting the downswing with the lower body creates the space you need for the club to be on plane.

I have been working on Not cupping my wrist.
Tiger also has the sitting motion motion.

I have never done anything intentionally to shallow the club. I’ve always found it is something that naturally happens when you sequence correctly. Starting the downswing with the lower body creates the space you need for the club to be on plane.
Yes, that is probably the most common advice I have heard on this. However, from what I have seen not many average (and even above average) golfers are doing it properly. Steepness is such a common fault.

I have been working on Not cupping my wrist.
Tiger also has the sitting motion motion.

Yes, at address my lead wrist is cupped quite a bit, so getting it flat at the top feels like a lot of "bowing" to me.

I use the HackMotion trainer to check this. It shows I rarely flatten my left wrist at the top even though I am trying hard to do so.

Fortunately my wrist conditions are good at impact.

I don't have a 'shallowing move'.

I've simplified a lot of my golf swing and swing thoughts over the past couple of years.

Here's my process.

1. Start backswing with my trail hip.
2. Keep arms attached and wide, let them move with my hips.
3. Kill my arms, wrists, and hands at the top, dead weight.
4. Start downswing with my lead hip.
5. Let arms come along for the ride.

This naturally shallows me out without having to think about re-routing which is insta-death for me.

Steepness is such a common fault
It’s common because starting the downswing with the shoulders is the common flaw that makes going OTT the only path that the club can get back to the ball.

It’s common because starting the downswing with the shoulders is the common flaw that makes going OTT the only path that the club can get back to the ball.
It's also the symptom that causes humping the ball (early extension) to try and save it.

To make a conscious manipulation to shallow the shaft in the speed of the downswing is a damn impossible ask. The problem you are looking to fix is directly related to everything that happens before. The golf swing, especially landmarks on the way down, are reflexive and not intentional.

I don't have a move that I make, it just happens.

Get the club to the top, turn the hips, the shoulders come with them & the club shallows.

I don't have a move that I make, it just happens.

Get the club to the top, turn the hips, the shoulders come with them & the club shallows.
And for the love of all that is holy, do not try to leave the arms behind.

Back