Shipping clubs or get a Travel Bag?

Cats04

Reaction score
Handicap
7.8 GHIN
So I just read the great review of the Sun Mountain travel bag and am curious to know if anyone still ships their clubs FedEx these days? I have no problem buying a travel bag, but I honestly don't travel enough by plane to justify it. Has anyone shipped their clubs to their destination via FedEx recently? How's the price and service etc? Thanks!

I use a travel bag because I like to have other things in it as well. My golf shoes, extra balls, etc.

A friend of mine had this same dilemma last year and ended up shipping them.
The cost of a good travel bag and the horror stories with the baggage handlers made up his mind.
Shipping was somewhere around $75-$100 I think.

I tend to travel with my bag for the same reasons. I guess it is also a feeling of having my clubs with me for most part of the journey. Minus the time in the cargo bay. Currently in the market for a new travel bag to fit a cart or staff bag.

The good news is where you are, a THP Invitational is just a few hours away and you wont need either. :D

Both.

I have a Club Glove travel bag, but I use Ship Sticks for sending the clubs ahead. I've hear too many horror stories of airlines destroying bags and clubs to ever trust them.

My clubs have made it thru one flight with no issues. I have an Ogio bag and I wrapped my clubheads with a couple towels to protect them. Also attached multiple business cards and put them in all the pockets as well as added a lock.

Going to be taking them on two trips this year so fingers are crossed. With southwest giving me two free bags it's def cheaper than mailing them.

Both.

I have a Club Glove travel bag, but I use Ship Sticks for sending the clubs ahead. I've hear too many horror stories of airlines destroying bags and clubs to ever trust them.

Thanks for the ship sticks reference. I've always looked online but didn't like the rates. They're not bad at all.

I have a travel bag that I like and I typically use that if I'm on JetBlue or Southwest. Never shipped but I've always been interested, just didn't find a cost effective method.

Knock on wood, I flew three times with my clubs in 2013 with no problems. 2014 will be a bigger test (5-6 or even 7 flights) and I plan on flying with my clubs as opposed to shipping.

Travel bag. Just bought one for an upcoming trip.

I fly all the time with my clubs and only had one incident, where my travel bag didn't make my flight, so the airline delivered my clubs to my house a few hours later. Otherwise, it's been fine. I fly my bag for free, so I've never shipped my clubs, but it sounds like a hassle and is pricey.

I fly all the time with my clubs and only had one incident, where my travel bag didn't make my flight, so the airline delivered my clubs to my house a few hours later. Otherwise, it's been fine. I fly my bag for free, so I've never shipped my clubs, but it sounds like a hassle and is pricey.

Im with you. I have been on hundreds of flights with my clubs and never had a single issue with breakage.

Thanks for all the good info guys...I just checked out the Ship Sticks site. Sounds like I might need to invest in a travel bag either way so I guess new wedges are out of the picture for a while!

Just get a Stiff Arm and you'll have no issues.

I got a travel hard case from SKB used off KSL Classifieds (local classifieds listing in Utah) for like $85. Probably wouldn't have bought it new cause they are fairly expensive, but used was a no brainer. Shipping clubs is too expensive for my taste, plus they stay out of my sight for too long. Probably need to pick up a Stiff Arm for travel to The King though - don't want to bust that brand new Big Bertha!

Definitely check them in as baggage in a travel bag. My wife even works for Fed Ex, and has a really good shipping discount, but I still prefer to have them straight off of the plane.

THP #theking #imwithchad

A friend of mine had this same dilemma last year and ended up shipping them.
The cost of a good travel bag and the horror stories with the baggage handlers made up his mind.
Shipping was somewhere around $75-$100 I think.

You've never received a package that was beat the hell up? You don't think that can happen to your golf clubs?

I use a travel bag because I like to have other things in it as well. My golf shoes, extra balls, etc.
Same here, comes in handy to hold other items as well, I guess I could pack all them in advance and ship, but I haven't used a service like that yet.

Travel bag, but I go with a hard case (skb) - practically indestructible. If you fly for golf more than once a year, it pays for itself in 2-3 trips.

Only remotely new thread about golf club travel that I could find so I am posting in here...

Any one know the fee Delta Airlines charges for golf clubs? On their website it looks like if its under 63" and 50 lbs then they treat it like a normal checked bag and first bag is free. But then I found that the first bag free looks to be for a upgraded flyer...anyone fly Delta a lot and know the answer?

You will pay for checked bags unless you have status (upgrade or credit card).
Golf bag falling under 50 lbs is the same cost as any other checked bag in my experience.

I dont know about bag size but when i flew to dallas recently delta charged $50 for checking a bag.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back