Short Golf Courses are More Fun

I'll say shorter. It gives me more chance to actually earn a par instead of triple bogey.

I've played at a course for the last 30 plus years that is 6200 from the back tees. It has very small greens with lots of slope. Very challenging.
There's a course about 50min away from me that is only 6600 and change from the backs, but I won't even bother. It's stupid hard even from 6100 yards, cause there are maybe 3 or 4 driver holes. The rest are a bit sketchy

Golf is a challenge to me, no matter the distance. :ROFLMAO:

They can be more challenging, too. If you had to choose between a short course or a long course, which would you prefer?
I def prefer shorter courses Extra long courses are pure evil.
A short course with well protected greens can be just as challenging as a super long course.
IMHO

We have 2 public courses here and one is 18 hole normal length and the other is a shorter course, 9 hole with par at 31, I think. For everyday play, I prefer the challenge of the 18 hole course, but when you have a short amount of time, the short course is a blast and I have played it as fast as 45 minutes enjoying every shot

just because it is "short" does not mean it is any easier. we have a course around us that the whites are 5600 yards but i'd be dam if i can score on that course. it's crazy tight with lots of hills and blind shots. but in general playing a shorter course can be more fun....it is usually easy to score.

Club here has two courses, one is 5400 from the back and the other is 6800. 5400 course is way more fun.

Longer. The big dog needs to eat for most rounds to be fun for me. I'm not a huge fan of courses where I have to play to yardages and can't use driver.

Of course long and short are subjective descriptions. In my golf world short is the par 57 3000yd executive I often play and long is 5800 - 6000yd regular courses in my rotation, I enjoy both. What I don’t enjoy is a course so long or difficult that frustration and failure is assured.

I want to go the other direction. I prefer a wider course to a narrow course! ;) Length to me isn't much a deterrent one way or the other.

So you are saying it isn't so much length, but girth? I am of the opinion it is not the size overall, but what you do with it. You can have a lot of fun on a par 3 course, and it doesn't take as long to play, am I right?

Wait this is all adding up to sound very very bad if you read it as a metaphor for something else... I am going to stop now...

So you are saying it isn't so much length, but girth? I am of the opinion it is not the size overall, but what you do with it. You can have a lot of fun on a par 3 course, and it doesn't take as long to play, am I right?

Wait this is all adding up to sound very very bad if you read it as a metaphor for something else... I am going to stop now...

100% the first time I have heard girth to describe a golf course ?

100% the first time I have heard girth to describe a golf course ?

BS, you haven't said, we should go play those resort courses over in BFE, they are so girthy? I don't believe it.

BS, you haven't said, we should go play those resort courses over in BFE, they are so girthy? I don't believe it.

I haven't but that's all I will saw from now on. I will also complain when the course does't have enough girth.

I could see a shorter course being more appealing to a golfer like myself...a higher handicap.

Playing shorter irons that I feel more comfortable with.

I prefer a long course so I can play more shots. We do love our local execs for a fun confidence boosting round.

For me it depends.

I'm a fan of any course that demands a variety of certain shots, while still allowing creativity. Short, wide open, and easy sounds awful to me - but short with all sorts of trouble is a ton of fun. I even enjoy par 3 courses provided they aren't just eighteen flat 100 yard holes like most of them seem to be.

But to answer the question, are short courses MORE fun - I'd say no. The most fun can be had when playing an appropriate length for my skill level, on a well designed course.

I prefer a course that requires or encourages me to use more of the bag. Short courses rarely do, and I get bored me easily with that.

the short course I played yesterday only has two holes where I can use my driver/3w...and the longest par 3 is 168...I enjoy playing it but I’d like at least one more hole where I could use a wood.

I will take the short course as I am shorter off the tee. I can still use most all of the clubs in the bag.

Length doesn’t matter. The course and how the design and holes flow is more important.

Short course as in Par 3, yes some of them are absolutely amazing

I prefer a course that requires or encourages me to use more of the bag. Short courses rarely do, and I get bored more easily with that.

This exactly. I've played about 4,000 rounds and maybe a dozen times shorter than 6,200(excluding maybe 100 rounds at par 3 courses). Most of my golf the last 30 years has been between 6,400-6,850.

Depends. I’m a member of Pacific Grove. It’s just
Over 5700 yards, which I guess would be classed as short. But thanks to it’s coastal back 9, it’s known as the poor man’s Pebble Beach. Also, with the usual sea breeze, it plays a helluva lot longer than it’s 5725 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on the course. I don’t remember playing a course over 6700 yards and not leaving feeling like it was more work than fun. But I have played some at 5800 yards that felt the same way. My ideal course seem to be 6300-6500 where I can hit driver off of most tee box but am not forced to. Long courses I feel like I have to hit driver most every hole and then some short courses I can’t hit driver on too many holes.

Back