Shorts on European Tour

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The European Tour is in South Africa this week playing the Alfred Dunhill Championship. The temperatures are hovering around 100, so the players are allowed to wear shorts.

It seems most are taking advantage of it.

Last edited:
I have said it before, I have zero issue with players wearing shorts when the temperature is warm enough

I think it is a step in the right direction, not only is it more comfortable for the players but safer with extreme temperatures.

I agree. Though it’s a bit strange seeing Ernie Els in shorts.

I have zero issue with them wearing shorts no matter the temperature. I logged dozens of rounds this year in shorts where the temperature at the start was in the 50’s.

There is no reason for them to not be allowed to wear shorts I get the whole tradition thing, but I think we have moved beyond that point for the game.

Just stayed watching this and noticed the shorts. Love it! Love the tranquility of the event. Birds chirping. Wild life all around.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Finally, some common sense.

I like it! I guess it takes the European tour to finally display some common sense.

Change happens! We no longer have to wear ties and wool coats! The PGA should get out ahead of this before there is a revolt!

I’ve always been all for shorts. I think I have some reservations though. Some players have really started to come out of their shells as it were, on social media. I’m terribly worried that Phil would show up to the waste management wearing daisy dukes.

I don’t think the world is ready for that.

No Dave, the world is not ready for daisy dukes on any male golfer. I'm sure that the allowed shorts will be bermuda length.

No Dave, the world is not ready for daisy dukes on any male golfer. I'm sure that the allowed shorts will be bermuda length.
It’s nice to know that in a crazy mixed up world, that I’m not completely out on my own. Thank you sir! ??

Finally, some common sense.
Exactly. Its way overdue. These guys are often playing in crazy heat and humidity. Its humane to give them the option of wearing shorts.

I prefer to see shorts than those weird joggers Ricky was wearing

Kind of surprised at the love for this. I think this looks really really bad. I thought I had DVR'd some amateur stuff by mistake. That got deleted quickly. Seriously hope we dont see a lot of this.

LOL!! pretty funny. I watched some this morning. First thing though, what a gorgeous golf course!

I get it, that it is 104*F but there have been tournaments in the past that have been played in similar heat index (heat + humidity) with traditional golfing attire and nobody died, that I know of. I think the shorts do look amateurish. Too casual. I think professional golfers should look professional.... just my humble opinion.

Glad to see Tim Herron and Jason Dufner do not play on the EuropeanTour. And if John Daly's wardrobe manager advises any European players, we may see the rule rescinded, see below.

Shorts worn in top-tier professional golf tournament. Fatalities = 0. (y)

It’s about time.

Time to end the archaic thought processes against letting them wear shorts.

Simplest solution is to let the tournaments decide if they allow or not.

Definitely past time; grown adults should be able to wear shorts on the course without issue

Kind of surprised at the love for this. I think this looks really really bad. I thought I had DVR'd some amateur stuff by mistake. That got deleted quickly. Seriously hope we dont see a lot of this.

I agree. Appropriate dress is part of the game . Traditionally, only women are permitted to wear short pants on the golf course and clubs such as Augusta National and Cypress Point still maintain this policy. Forbidding the wearing of hats within the club house dining room is another appropriate dress tradition, which I like.

I agree. Appropriate dress is part of the game . Traditionally, only women are permitted to wear short pants on the golf course and clubs such as Augusta National and Cypress Point still maintain this policy. Forbidding the wearing of hats within the club house dining room is another appropriate dress tradition, which I like.

I don't have an issue with hats not being allowed in the club house, but I think that there are elements of tradition that need to evolve, and the wearing of shorts is one of them

As someone has already mentioned, I think it should be the choice of the tournament as to whether they allow shorts

Back