Shot Scope X5 Watch

Shot Scope is replacing my X5 that stopped reading

Question for long time X5 users, I am trading a used putter to a friend for a new unopened X5 watch. I am not going to use the shot tracking (sensors) feature of the watch, all I am looking at it for is the on-course experience, accuracy to hole (F-M-B), distances to hazards and scoring on watch. My question is, should I just sell the watch unopened and get a V5 or will the X5 in its simplistic role provide a hassle free experience. I have a very old Garmin Approach S6 which works but am finding the accuracy of distances is off.

I would like to get a clearer screen, etc. but don't want a lot of hassle. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
I don't believe you can keep score on the watch (I don't use that feature, personally), without using the shot tracking tags.

I am not going to use the shot tracking (sensors) feature of the watch, all I am looking at it for is the on-course experience, accuracy to hole (F-M-B), distances to hazards and scoring on watch.
If you are not tracking shots and just want GPS distance and scoring then the G5 is gonna be what you want. It has the distances and a digital scorecard without the shot tracking.

Well that's frustrating. It's not for everyone, but I'm in the habit of touching the tag to the band and double checking that the club shows on the screen.

Should I have to? No.

But I prefer to be a bit particular about it rather than having this happen.
Wanted to do a shoutout to Shot Scope Support - @GavinwithaR1 & @jenisontheforum
They are trying to resolve my drop shot issue.
I'm adding my correspondence here on Tag testing and SS saying that tagging the watch really doesn't help

IMG_2313.png
..IMG_2314.png
IMG_2315.png

Last edited:
Question for long time X5 users, I am trading a used putter to a friend for a new unopened X5 watch. I am not going to use the shot tracking (sensors) feature of the watch, all I am looking at it for is the on-course experience, accuracy to hole (F-M-B), distances to hazards and scoring on watch. My question is, should I just sell the watch unopened and get a V5 or will the X5 in its simplistic role provide a hassle free experience. I have a very old Garmin Approach S6 which works but am finding the accuracy of distances is off.

I would like to get a clearer screen, etc. but don't want a lot of hassle. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.
I would keep the X5 knowing that if you ever changed your mind down the road and wanted to have the stats you have that functionality

I wish they would fix the Android app. I much prefer to edit right after my round when it is fresh and I don't have a computer Henry bit I have my phone. It used to work fine but with updated it doesn't go 2 holes of effort before I can't click and drag any shots and have to save and leave the round.

Dreadful. @GavinwithaR1 any chance of a software app update?

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

There was a software update but it doesn't seem to fix any issues.
Still some text cut off in app. Also the writing freezes up after a few holes and you can't select and move shots anymore.

Disappointing experience after using a shot scope device for over 4 years now.

Weird glitch yesterday. Set my watch to EST and auto-putting for some reason. Not a big deal, but don't have any putting stats for the round now. Then I synched the watch to download the round after everything went back to normal. 🤷🏼‍♂️

1. Excellent experience with the watch hole maps distances and even hazard checks. Didn't miss a shot and the putt reminder when on green is excellent as is notification for scorecard reminder and "error" notification in the corner.

2. I thought after tracking every shot something went away as it was not listed in history on the watch. Talked with CS and not only did they help with connecting the watch, but they also got the round back and uploaded.

Bring on the data and fun of "reliving" each round on the computer.

Damn annoying. 2 clubs I can’t remove from my bag. My old Ping Driver (the D tag broke which is why my new driver has a 3W tag) and the LW (which was some random driver that I’ve never even heard of let alone owned. I was hoping editing the club may allow me to remove it but nope). Also noticed the watch taking longer to pick up a GOS signal and dropping signal a lot more recently. I wonder if it’s time for me to start looking at something like a Garmin.
IMG_9721.jpeg

Damn annoying. 2 clubs I can’t remove from my bag. My old Ping Driver (the D tag broke which is why my new driver has a 3W tag) and the LW (which was some random driver that I’ve never even heard of let alone owned. I was hoping editing the club may allow me to remove it but nope). Also noticed the watch taking longer to pick up a GOS signal and dropping signal a lot more recently. I wonder if it’s time for me to start looking at something like a Garmin.
View attachment 9267410
You can't "select" that club by tapping on it then hitting the "Remove Club" button at the bottom? You can't delete clubs that have been used, but you can certainly remove them from being "active".

View attachment 9267410
I'd bet my Albatross coin balance that customer service could fix this for you

You can't "select" that club by tapping on it then hitting the "Remove Club" button at the bottom? You can't delete clubs that have been used, but you can certainly remove them from being "active".

I can. But when I click out of My Bag, and then go back into it, the 2 clubs are back there, taunting me.

I'd bet my Albatross coin balance that customer service could fix this for you
I have a message in to them, so hope so. Seems this isn’t a common issue so weird it’s happening to me.

My newly replaced X5 is back to working correctly, so it was definitely the watch and not the tags

Disaster today. Half way through the round the watch became semi unresponsive.
If I touched the screen to see my shot distance nothing happened.
If I pressed the score on the screen it didn't go to score card but jumped to the choose home screen.
Couldn't get to the score card menu via the settings either .

This watch is so much worse than my old V3 in terms of bugs and unreliability.
The app is a terrible too. Feel like I have wanted hundreds of dollars on a beta product that can't last 2 rounds as advertised and requires trouble shooting every other round.

Customer service is only good thing about this product but unless they allow me to trade this in and get something else that works without problems they have lost me as a future customer.

I’ve largely had good experiences with my X5 until today. Playing in the rain my watch went on the fritz. It kept having phantom touches and the touch screen was awful. It was torrential rain so it was a bummer. Luckily my Garmin S62 is my regular watch so I just swapped them about 5 holes in and just played out the rest of my round. I’m playing again tomorrow so I hope the ShotScope goes back to normal.

I’ve largely had good experiences with my X5 until today. Playing in the rain my watch went on the fritz. It kept having phantom touches and the touch screen was awful. It was torrential rain so it was a bummer. Luckily my Garmin S62 is my regular watch so I just swapped them about 5 holes in and just played out the rest of my round. I’m playing again tomorrow so I hope the ShotScope goes back to normal.

During the recent Shot Scope data event they mentioned that an upcoming software update will allow you to put it in rain mode where it disables the touch screen.

During the recent Shot Scope data event they mentioned that an upcoming software update will allow you to put it in rain mode where it disables the touch screen.
That’s good to know. I had a typo too, it wasn’t torrential, it was basically a constant drizzle to just above that. I can swim in my Garmin but as mentioned countless times the cost of the two are miles apart so I’m not expecting the same ruggedness capabilities

Disaster today. Half way through the round the watch became semi unresponsive.
If I touched the screen to see my shot distance nothing happened.
If I pressed the score on the screen it didn't go to score card but jumped to the choose home screen.
Couldn't get to the score card menu via the settings either .

This watch is so much worse than my old V3 in terms of bugs and unreliability.
The app is a terrible too. Feel like I have wanted hundreds of dollars on a beta product that can't last 2 rounds as advertised and requires trouble shooting every other round.

Customer service is only good thing about this product but unless they allow me to trade this in and get something else that works without problems they have lost me as a future customer.

Sorry to hear that! I experienced the early problems like everyone else, but after their firmware updates and a factory reset, the only "bug" I ever experience is to look at the watch and see it on the "Last Shot" screen. Of course, there are features I don't use, such as scoring or Pin Reminder, so I don't know if that helps with reliability. I also do not use it in any amount of rain, even light drizzle.

Yep it’s a known flaw with the touch screen. There is a rain mode coming but also if the watch is in lock mode you typically have less issues. Also this is where the V5 doesn’t have these type of issues

Sorry to hear that! I experienced the early problems like everyone else, but after their firmware updates and a factory reset, the only "bug" I ever experience is to look at the watch and see it on the "Last Shot" screen. Of course, there are features I don't use, such as scoring or Pin Reminder, so I don't know if that helps with reliability. I also do not use it in any amount of rain, even light drizzle.
I have updated and factory reset it .
It works fine for a round or 2.
To have it get laggy mid round and though working having the touch screen not do what it's supposed to made it unusable.

I have enough to worry about during my round than if my watch will fritz out.

And I used to have no issues editing on phone. It. Is not possible now as after 2 minutes of editing the app locks up not allowing movement of the shots.
This has been a bug for over a season and they are doing nothing to fix.

I would trade my X5 for a v5 if shotscope would offer that option and perhaps at least fix part ofy ruined experience.

Yep it’s a known flaw with the touch screen. There is a rain mode coming but also if the watch is in lock mode you typically have less issues. Also this is where the V5 doesn’t have these type of issues
i'm not sure i'd characterize it as a "flaw" per se, more of a limitation that comes with a touch screen.
drizzle makes my phone's touch screen do all kinds of crazy things too, at about 5x the price.
like everyone i play mostly in decent weather, but rain doesn't stop me so i'm looking forward to being able to turn the touch feature off.

i'm not sure i'd characterize it as a "flaw" per se, more of a limitation that comes with a touch screen.
drizzle makes my phone's touch screen do all kinds of crazy things too, at about 5x the price.
like everyone i play mostly in decent weather, but rain doesn't stop me so i'm looking forward to being able to turn the touch feature off.
I wasn’t insinuating it was a flaw with the watch just touch screens in general

I have both the x5 and the v5 coming to me tomorrow. I really would like the touch screen of the x5 but have heard a lot of horror stories. Have they fixed it? Or should I just go with the v5?

Had the X5 out again yesterday for the first round tracking after having the phantom button press issue that had the watch unusable. Happy to report that I had no issues this time out. Still not sure what cause the watch to think something was continually pressing the menu button, but a decent cleaning as well as a factory reset seems to have fixed it.

Back