i think almost every shotgun start event i've played in over the past 5+ years has been a fundraiser of sorts. so i'm there for that above everything else and go into it knowing it's going to be a long day. i don't hate them and don't care if we start on a par 3, par 4, or par 5.

It doesn't bother me at all. Means that all groups will finish at once, or close to the same time at least. Then, there is no waiting around for scores to filter in. Still playing 18 holes of golf. Doesn't really matter much to me what hole we start on. I guess a difficult par 3 isn't always my favorite start. But, will have to play the hole eventually anyways.

I like to play the course in the way it was intended to be played. But if we have to shotgun I hate starting on par 5s when I'm not loose.

Do you like Shotgun starts?

I've been disappointed with every shotgun start event I've been in since none of them used an actual shotgun to get things started 😒 Fortunately I've never had to start on a par 3 - that wouldn't be a good way to open up.

Do you like Shotgun starts?

I've been disappointed with every shotgun start event I've been in since none of them used an actual shotgun to get things started 😒 Fortunately I've never had to start on a par 3 - that wouldn't be a good way to open up.

Multiple factors...that determine if I prefer shot gun starts
How many groups are in the tournament? If there are a lot I’m in favor.
What hole am I starting on? I do not like having to start on a par3.
Double groups per tee? Don’t really think this speeds up the pace of play.

On a charity outing we always started on the same long par 5, usually with long drive competition on it too. We would start off birdie or par. At the end if the round we always olay this hole for fun on the way back to the clubhouse, and 9 times out of 10 we eagle it. If only we could end there, instead of start :ROFLMAO:.

But I really don't mind them at all.

It's always been at a charity tourney for me. I know it's going to be a long round, and because it's for a good cause, I'm OK with it.

Shotgun starts do not bother me. Wherever you start it is still going to be the 1st hole.

I fundamentally don't mind shotgun starts - it that those tourneys tend to grind to halt this is most annoying.

Most fun shotgun start ever was at The Graphite Challenge on Saturday - no one else on the Palmer course and just our three groups. It was raining pretty good so we shot gunned it lead group on 3 and ripped around in 3.5 hours. Good times.

I’ve actually never played well on any shotgun start. Today was no exception.

For me it depends on the type of tournament.
Scramble, yeah shotgun it and shotgun beers for all I care..
Stroke play, tee times.

For some reason these always turn into a drinking contest. I do great in the drinking part, not so good for my HC. :ROFLMAO: Hey it was fun.

For me it depends on the type of tournament.
Scramble, yeah shotgun it and shotgun beers for all I care..
Stroke play, tee times.
We need to play together at some point.

Don’t mind them... still get to play all the holes. Issue is really do they manage the intervals well. It’s really easy to overcrowd the course

I love everybody finishing at (roughly) the same time, but don't always like the hole I end up starting on. I enjoy playing a course from the first tee as it was designed, but I get why they have to do shotguns for some tournaments.

I've played a handful of shotgun events and every time I knew soon after getting to the course which hole I would start on and had plenty of time to warm up. Not sure I'd play any better or worse due to which hole I'm starting on...

For those who mentioned they don't like a shotgun to start on a par 5, what do you do when a course you play as a par 5 on Number 1? How is that different?

As long as it's only one group per hole, I'm fine with them. When they double up and put two groups on a hole it tends to make for a long day.

Years ago I played in one and we started out on the longest drive hole. I was later told that my drive had stood until the final group. Somehow I got lucky and managed my best drive of the day on the hole that mattered.

Negative. Pace of play is always slow and when you find out you are the B/C group on a hole it just makes kills the vibe.

Never been part of a competition where there are "C" groups. They cut it off when there are 2 groups per tee, A and B. I figure that "C" groups are the result of simple greed. If you're not raising enough money booking 2 foursomes per tee, 144 golfers in total, raise your entry fee!

i think almost every shotgun start event i've played in over the past 5+ years has been a fundraiser of sorts. so i'm there for that above everything else and go into it knowing it's going to be a long day. i don't hate them and don't care if we start on a par 3, par 4, or par 5.

Yes! The last one I went to was sponsored by the "Wolves Club of Youngstown" an outfit that I had never heard of before. My buddy played with one of their members, and that was how I got invited. It was $160 per to play, which is expensive around here. They had "B" groups, and you could tell it was going to be slow, because there was a ton of food and drink between every green and tee! A true indulger would be unconscious after the round!

There was breakfast, food and drink all over the course, and a sumptuous dinner after the round! It was pretty laid out! To top it off, my buddy won the 50/50 raffle! It turned out to be $800 plus! As we walked out of the place, he peeled off $160 and handed it to me. He said, "Free golf today!"

Now that's a friend!

I don't mind them at all but it can get a little backed up when they have separate groups like A and B. Most of the time it has been ok for me though. I don't like starting on a par 3 though.

"Like"? - no

But I'm more okay with them on courses I've played before. It's kind of a bummer to play a brand new course that you may never play again as a shotgut IMO.

I was disappointed there was no shotgun

Back