Should Courses Enact a HC Check on Tees

that depends how long the course is.

That’s very true. I guess I shouldve specified if the back tees are 7k plus yards...maybe even 6800+

I’ve played plenty of courses where the back tees were only 6500 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this is really about pace of play I will offer my observation that in my experience players that hit 6 shots per hole are rarely much (if at all) slower than those that hit 4. It's not about the number of shots a player takes or is forced to take because of the tee box they play from, it is about whether or not they move their a$$ between those shots.

A bit of a tangent but I would actually go so far as to say that getting rid of carts would improve the pace of play more than monitoring tee boxes (and no I am not advocating actually doing this). So so many people do not know how to manage carts and it has a big impact on pace of play. Playing from incorrect tee box? Eh, I just don't see this as a big pace of play problem when you consider how few are actually playing from the tips and how much impact it actually causes for those that do.

... I was playing Encino in LA a few years ago with 3 Indian gentlemen that were playing the black tees at 7023 while I played the blue tees at 6574. I shot a 69 and none of them broke 125. I will give them this, they played fast and we never lost sight of the group in front if us and often we even had to wait. While we were waiting on the 18th tee I asked them why were they making the game so hard on themselves when they could probably break 100 from the white tees at 6139. Their response was a learning experience for me. They said I paid twice as much to play golf as they did and "I was not maximizing my dollar value". They were in their 60's and said they started playing in their 50's and were just not very good but they enjoyed playing, and playing from the tips they got to hit more shots. For them it was not about their score, just trying to hit a few good shots and enjoying the day, pushing their carts in the sunshine getting some exercise and trying to get better and of course the camaraderie. I really enjoyed their company, gave them a few golf tips and they were very respectful of my game never moving near me when I was hitting, but did not do the same for each other because they hit so many shots and wanted to keep moving. It was one of the most enjoyable days I have spent on a golf course.

That’s very true. I guess I shouldve specified if the back tees are 7k plus yards...maybe even 6800+

I’ve played plenty of courses where the back tees were only 6500 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And there are also many that are not even that long. And also on tp of that point on many courses where the old standard red/wht/blu tee system is still a norm its usually the whites that are played by majority of people. yet there are penty pace problems at these courses too. So if playing too long a tee was rul the problem then ost all these shorter curses would have no issue at all. But they do. i mentioned before about 2 courses by me. One is one of 5 county courses that plays 500 yrds shorter and yet has the same pace. The other course (private but open to public) is even a bit shorter and is well known to have bad pace much worse than our county courses have. The whole tee thing really is a misguided thought logic.

This assumes that the subject would score better hitting driver on every hole rather than playing strategically.

Then why would someone be upset they can't pull driver every hole.

I dunno. Who said they couldn't? I'm not sure you're asking the right person. I don't know when the last time I pulled driver on every par 4 and par 5 in a round. Probably c.2000.

Maybe the person just wants to play the set of tees that they're comfortable playing and can play fast enough from their preferred tee.

I think its (at least from my view) the taking driver out of my bag that will upset me. And moving forward would do that to a number of folks. or i would go from using it between 9 to 11 times to perhaps just 5 or 6 times. Imo its wrong to take a whole chink pf the course away from soneone. But to be fair I will say that i do play the correct tees for my distance at about 6450 give or take (course dependant). Sure there are plenty peole who can ove up and still use driver on most holes. But the ideology will result in amny people like me who dont use driver on all holes as it is to then now not use it much at all and probably wouldnt be necessary on any the holes. I just font think thats the right thing to do to people just because they may not have a cap low enough to play a tee set that they are long enough to play.

Back