Sim Leagues - Anyone play in them?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just joined a fall Simulator league (on GC Quad) at a local barber shop.

My first time doing this sorta thing.

Anyone have tips/tricks on playing golf on a sim?

Cheers!

O'Carroll and I did one for 2-3 years. It was pretty fun. Something to do during the winter and kept the swing a little more in tune during the off-season.

I have not and have less than zero interest in doing so.

We had a winter sim league at my old office. We played with autoputts. Basically all you can do is have as much fun as you can. Sims still mess up from time to time, and you just have to roll with it.

I have not and have less than zero interest in doing so.

Less than zero....that's quite the strong opinion. Curious why the disdain?

I used to play in them for a couple of years.
My advice is...
1. Don't get hung up on the accuracy of the shots in the sim.
2. Don't overswing trying to get more distance as that will build bad habits for your real game.
3. Putting is almost ridiculous.
4. Learn the limits on the sim and play accordingly to shoot your best scores.
5. Have fun, use it as a form of practice during the winter and.....Have fun !

I don't as we can play almost year round. Love being outdoors in the fresh winter air.

Less than zero....that's quite the strong opinion. Curious why the disdain?
I'm not sure, it just doesn't feel like golf to me. It's fun to do once in a while but every week? no thanks.

I thought about joining one this year just to have a good time not for serious golf but I travel a bunch for work and it seems to be starting up again so I decided not to.

I did one for the first time last winter. It was on a Trackman and I was way more interested in the numbers than the accuracy of the shots. Chipping, pitching, and putting are a crap shoot but I saw it as an opportunity to work on my path and gapping my irons. Like someone said earlier, temper your expectations and you'll be fine.

I did one for the first time last winter. It was on a Trackman and I was way more interested in the numbers than the accuracy of the shots. Chipping, pitching, and putting are a crap shoot but I saw it as an opportunity to work on my path and gapping my irons. Like someone said earlier, temper your expectations and you'll be fine.

Nice, THIS ("work on my path and gapping my irons.) is one key goal of mine for sure.

Nice, THIS ("work on my path and gapping my irons.) is one key goal of mine for sure.

I would show up a little early and use the "driving range" and I think I enjoyed that more than the actual golf.

I've been in winter sim leagues for about eight years now. The sims I have played on - two so far, and soon to be a third this year - all do pretty well on the full swings. If you tend to hit your wedges high, as I do, you may - or may not - be limited indoors by the sim's ability to pick up the ball. Don't get frustrated when short game techniques that work outdoors don't work inside. You may need to use more lob/flop shots (in my case, with a gap wedge) or bump and run with a lower lofted club than normal. Paradoxically, the sim improved my short game because I had to learn new shots. It will probably take some experimentation. Putting varies by brand but can be challenging until you get somewhat of a feel for it. Gimmies of 3 feet, or even 6 on tough courses, are not uncommon.

Use your outdoor ball, and if you need to add reflective tape to maximize your swing and ball flight data, do it. I found the those data to be most helpful in getting to a more consistent swing (so THAT's what in-to-out feels like").

The tech is very good but not perfect, so don't be surprised if occasionally you have a pretty good swing shown as 45 degrees open, for example.

Don't get frustrated if your sim has some quirks, particularly around OOB/unplayables. Be happy you're making full swings in the winter. Our league experience is that generally scores are a little lower than they would be outside.

Finally, remember you're hitting off mats, and your joints will react accordingly.

1st time tonight.

On GC4…

Man, the putting is rough. I’ve managed to 3 putt my first 5 holes. Oof….

I used to play in them for a couple of years.
My advice is...
1. Don't get hung up on the accuracy of the shots in the sim.
2. Don't overswing trying to get more distance as that will build bad habits for your real game.
3. Putting is almost ridiculous.
4. Learn the limits on the sim and play accordingly to shoot your best scores.
5. Have fun, use it as a form of practice during the winter and.....Have fun !
Exactly what drumdog said.

I just started playing in one last week. I’m pretty sure a team of sandbaggers is in the league. I’m surprised they do that in sim golf too. I didn’t know what to expect and outside of the driver being way off, it’s not bad so far. It’ll keep me swinging for an extra month after it’s too cold for me to golf outdoors. It’s also a chance for my son to work on his swing path to club face numbers. He’s trying to stop hitting push hooks.

Been in one the past two years and will be on two teams this year as well. I find them really fun and we play 6ft gimmes because as everyone knows, putting isn't perfect. But other than that, it's great fun and a good way to keep the swing grooved during the winter

I do not, and have not but would sign up for one in a heartbeat if we had one up here.

Honestly though, I'd rather have a home sim setup though.

Honestly though, I'd rather have a home sim setup though.

This is definitely something I’ll be looking into. We’re still figuring out where and when to buy, but a basement simulator has been agreed to in principle.

This is definitely something I’ll be looking into. We’re still figuring out where and when to buy, but a basement simulator has been agreed to in principle.
I was pretty keen on the SkyTrak system, but now with the new Foresight and and Bushnell models, I'm thinking I might save a few more pennies and opt for that ecosystem.

I was pretty keen on the SkyTrak system, but now with the new Foresight and and Bushnell models, I'm thinking I might save a few more pennies and opt for that ecosystem.

I have a SkyTrak (I think). It somehow disappeared in my move, it’s probably at my dad’s house. I’m assuming I was gonna put it in my luggage and it didn’t fit. I don’t want to buy a new launch monitor but there’s even more good stuff out now.

I have a SkyTrak (I think). It somehow disappeared in my move, it’s probably at my dad’s house. I’m assuming I was gonna put it in my luggage and it didn’t fit. I don’t want to buy a new launch monitor but there’s even more good stuff out now.
If I had a launch monitor, it'd come in the vehicle with me! Along with my golf clubs and hockey gear! Hope yours turns up!

First time in three years that I’m not in a sim league. My teams just fell apart for various reasons. But I did love driving to the course where the sims are when the weather outside was too nasty for golf.

In my younger days I felt the same way about indoor softball...the bigger the snowflakes, the better my satisfaction. 😎

Indoor softball
That’s interesting
I played on some national championship teams back in my 20’s. Those games in Alabama were crazy! Scores like 30-28
With 6 home runs per team, and then a home run is an out.
Nothing but grand slams and hard line drives.

Back