Skills You Wish You Had

Mad_Brad

aka braddman19
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Doing some home renovations today (HVAC), and it got me thinking, "I wish I knew how to use tin-snips properly".

Over the years I have had some weird things that I wish I knew how to do properly.
- the tin snips thing. I am tired of struggling with using them. Either I have the wrong ones, or my technique sucks.
- I wish I had taken a summer when I was younger, and worked with a painter to learn how to properly paint a room. I've gotten better over the years, but am still not great.

A lot of the things involve being able to do a job myself instead of having to get someone else to do it.

Is there a skill you wish you were able that would make your life easier? (non-golf related)

Scorpion12

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Non golf related... construction. It’d be nice to look at something and be able to build it... framing, plumbing, metalwork, woodwork... concrete. I’d like to be able to pour concrete instead of paying someone to do it. And lay tile. And counters.

GolfTravelDude

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
electricity......wish I knew how to connect the wires and not fry myself

Doubleb21

Stuck in the 80’s
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5.7 Grint
Electrical stuff for sure. Shut the power off and I still super cautious.

Molten

Man Down
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
There are so many skills I wish I had but probably general handyman skills. I’ve got some but don’t trust myself with the majority of it.

MattyD-MPLS

Captain for The 2020 Grandaddy
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am the worst at home projects and wish I could do any of them well.

I also wish I could sing. I love music and would love to be able to sing in front of people.

Reframmellator

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Doing some home renovations today (HVAC), and it got me thinking, "I wish I knew how to use tin-snips properly".

Over the years I have had some weird things that I wish I knew how to do properly.
- the tin snips thing. I am tired of struggling with using them. Either I have the wrong ones, or my technique sucks.
- I wish I had taken a summer when I was younger, and worked with a painter to learn how to properly paint a room. I've gotten better over the years, but am still not great.

A lot of the things involve being able to do a job myself instead of having to get someone else to do it.

Is there a skill you wish you were able that would make your life easier? (non-golf related)
I just learned about three years ago that aviation snips are color coded:

https://lifehacker.com/aviation-snips-are-color-coded-for-a-reason-use-the-co-1684150936

You may have the wrong ones.

Mad_Brad

aka braddman19
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just learned about three years ago that aviation snips are color coded:

https://lifehacker.com/aviation-snips-are-color-coded-for-a-reason-use-the-co-1684150936

You may have the wrong ones.
I have the yellow and the green. Used both today, numerous times the wrong ones lol. I think I need something with more offset.
That or give in and set of shears or a nibbler. Not that I would use it often. Have done more HVAC in this house than I ever did in my previous.

LLIB

I miss my HoF Tag
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
The armpit of America aka Northern Appalachia
Handicap
Life
I’ve done hvac since I was 15 along with plumbing, electrical, and carpentry so no problems there. I can’t cook for sh*t though. That’s one thing I wish I was good at

Turtlerancher

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Pick one.
Kind of weird but, I really wish I had learned to type on a keyboard. Amazing watching the wife and her 120 + wpm. while I'm the hunt and peck guy.

MNMarc

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Electrical. Thankfully I’ve got a buddy that is a master electrician so I spoil him with booze whenever he helps me out.

Mad_Brad

aka braddman19
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Kind of weird but, I really wish I had learned to type on a keyboard. Amazing watching the wife and her 120 + wpm. while I'm the hunt and peck guy.
I am still a version of hunt-and-peck, a faster version, but only to about a 40-50 wpm pace. The 120+ wpm is an insane skill.

vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Electrical is definitely one thing I wish I understood more about. I can change light fixtures and ceiling fans etc, it when it comes to rewiring Or adding an outlet, I am not so good there.

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9 (9.2)
More general handyman skills would be my choice - I can do a number of things, but it is when I hit problems in some jobs that I have difficulty finishing them

neophyteguy

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
I'm very good at destruction, less so in actual construction. Saying that, I can usually do an "ok" job with smaller handyman projects but wish I had the patience to complete basic construction type work to a finished level. Being able to properly do Drywall type work would be great to have in my arsenal.

gonyr

Reaction score
Handicap
Plumbing. I flat out suck at it. There's always a leak to deal with when I think I'm done. Electrical I've never had any issues with, but plumbing just kills me every time.

cbaker2882

#teamneversleep
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Code. At least right now, the possibilities are endless with coding, especially being good at it.

Duffer Waldorf

President, Carl Carmoni Fan Club
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
11.6 (GG)
Electrical -- the previous owner(s) made some strange decisions when wiring the garage and smoke detector circuits that I'd like to fix.

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
It's a loooong list for me.

OldandStiff

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Reading all of you wanting to know how to do carpentry, run a pair of snips, electrical work, plumbing, concrete, etc. got my wife to ask what was wrong with my face. lol As someone who can do all those things, I'm not sure it's any kind of blessing.

I really wish I could play the piano, but I don't know how it would make my life easier. Is growing hair a skill? I'd like that one. I can't even remember what it's like not to have to worry about my head burning in the sun.

Stemmy66

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score

probably you have the wrong snips..... I'm not an expert but I do know that they have left, right and straight cutting snips so understanding that is half the battle..... I think..... If its me, I'd just use a sawzall ;)

is patience considered a skill? if so, I wish I had that as a skill.....

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in