Slacks or shorts?

Shorts 100%. I played yesterday in 0 wind 94 degrees with a heart index 104. My fingernails were sweating. No way could you wear pants and be remotely comfortable. I've worn FR and a hard hat most of my working life as well. On the golf course, no way in that heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Let the host course decide. Can't ever see the Masters being for shorts, but the St. Jude, AT&T National, etc are sweltering. It makes sense or feels like they should be in shorts on the desert, but things like the Waste Management are early in the year when it's not hot.

Let the conditions dictate it, they can wear rain gear in rainy weather, layers in cold weather why not something more comfortable in hot weather?
I'm of the mind that players should be able to wear shorts, but I've never really approached it from this lens - I like it.

lam off the view , fit for purpose most of us are basing our preferences on where we live and play ( geographic location ) , the players are subject to generally pristine conditions and seldom wind .

Can’t see it be a driving issue ... a lot of Asian players both female and male have minimal skin exposure and play in long long and even with almost fully face mask ( cloth made fixed around hats )

Just this week we had tournaments in close proximity and girls wore shorts , men full pants . Different governing bodies granted , but commonality would be better

Personalily l play , in all weather , and dress for it , shorts are comfortable ,but we get all sorts of weather in a day here lol

I wear shorts when I can because I'm fat and I sweat, even then I still sweat and have a towel just for that. I see no reason that tour pros should not be allowed to wear shorts. It literally makes no difference to the game.

People keep talking about growing the game, this is part of the dress code that stops that IMHO. I get no jeans/ ripped jeans, tank tops etc, but really. does it matter., if it's not literally offensive wear, then it really does not matter (and even then offensive is subjective).

Are you keeping pace and being respectful on the course and also being respectful to the course. I played a country club on Sunday that is supposedly high end, for my area, yet myself and a playing partner literally fixed a minimum of four pitch marks on every single green. I'd rather a guy in shorts and tee shirt played and fixed his own marks than some guy in trousers figured someone else will do it for him.

I wear shorts when I can because I'm fat and I sweat, even then I still sweat and have a towel just for that. I see no reason that tour pros should not be allowed to wear shorts. It literally makes no difference to the game.

People keep talking about growing the game, this is part of the dress code that stops that IMHO. I get no jeans/ ripped jeans, tank tops etc, but really. does it matter., if it's not literally offensive wear, then it really does not matter (and even then offensive is subjective).

Are you keeping pace and being respectful on the course and also being respectful to the course. I played a country club on Sunday that is supposedly high end, for my area, yet myself and a playing partner literally fixed a minimum of four pitch marks on every single green. I'd rather a guy in shorts and tee shirt played and fixed his own marks than some guy in trousers figured someone else will do it for him.
Fully agree 😃What ever happens to the mantra , fix 2 divots, yours and another ? , if we all did it the greens would be flawless ⛳

I have zero issue with shorts, so if the conditions are such that someone wants to wear shorts, then I feel they should be allowed

If they can't wear shorts maybe they can wear a kilt...

1623745331874.png

Dont care really, but how about shorts most tournaments, and long pants at the majors?

I was a little wierded out with the guy wearing cuffed pants last weekend, dont remember who, but it seems less professional if thats the image they want to keep.
what's wrong with cuffed pants? Asking for a friend... he's got a couple pair in his closet he still wears to work...

I don't care either way.

I personally don’t care either way. Summer weight golf slacks are a whole lotta nothing anyways so I don’t see it as a big deal.

It’ll look kinda weird at this point not seeing them in pants.

Either way would be fine, I say leave it up to the course.
Wearing the super light weight thin pants they have now isn't that big a deal, not having the direct sunlight on your skin helps keep you cooler. It is why you see so many people wearing the sun sleeves, if it wasn't a benefit then they wouldn't do it.

It's a shame that Phil works so hard on his calves and they don't get any sun. Break out the shorts.

What would the over/under be on the % of tour players wearing tall socks with shorts?

Shorts. I don't see the need to wear pants when it is 90*.

Shorts. I find it odd so many people want to watch these guys sweat even more.

Slacks for me, protection from the sun, ticks and poison ivy and they can be as cool as shorts with the right material.

I was/am against "business casual" going from just Fridays to all the time with Friday becoming grunge day! :mad:

So I am in the slacks group. Be professional, look professional.

Last edited:
Shorts. I find it odd so many people want to watch these guys sweat even more.

My summer weight golf pants are cooler than shorts. They probably weigh 4oz and don’t suck. Addidas Clima-Cool I think? I don’t care if they wear shorts, don’t get me wrong. But summer golf pants are cooler than shorts if we’ll done….

Except days where it’s hot and humid and windy.

My summer weight golf pants are cooler than shorts. They probably weigh 4oz and don’t suck. Addidas Clima-Cool I think? I don’t care if they wear shorts, don’t get me wrong. But summer golf pants are cooler than shorts if we’ll done….

Except days where it’s hot and humid and windy.
Need those pants! Although I’m hard pressed to find a day that’s not hot and humid in PA.

Pants does not make you anything but elitist. men wear shorts at these clubs during the normal weekends why PGA has pants is beyond me as the "proper golf attire" does not mention pants only

I don't really care either way. I can see the valid arguments for both sides. BUT, if I had to choose one or the other? I would lean towards traditional and require slacks.

It's been 20 years since they let the caddies wear shorts- time to let the players wear them.

They're all wearing shorts during the practice round today - I say let 'em wear shorts!

The Tiger era has brought about changes in the level of fitness among PGA players, but these dudes obviously do a lot of leg work now - they're beasts!

I still like the slacks look, but I won't lose any sleep if they change it to shorts.

Back