Sleeper Wedge purchase. Tour Edge Bazooka 1 out 58 degree wedge Review

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
First let me say this is the first thread I've ever started so bear with me. I hope I can do a decent review first try.

I was flirting around on Rock Bottom golf a few days ago looking for a lightweight pencil bag for my local Par 3 municipal course when I came across the Tour Edge Bazooka 1 Out 58 degree wedge. I have always had trouble with my short game (obviously if you observe my posted handicap). This wedge promises in its name what I always hope for when I'm in the sand... To get on the green with 1 Out. I looked over the wedge and initially was skeptical. We have all seen the cheap looking Solus or ray cook wedges on Rock Bottom. How ever I am familiar with Tour Edge's merchandise and their great warranties and customer service. So I decided to look a little deeper.

I found that the club appeared to be quality due to the fact they took the time to put a quality grip stock on the wedge (lamkin 3gen wedge grip). I'm not made of money but for 49.99 and me being in desperation to fix my short game, I figured I'd try it. The wedge came yesterday while I was in the middle of a 12 hour overnight shift. I was so excited to try it I went out to my Municipal Par 3 course at 7am with my new pencil bag, Tour Edge wedge, a few irons, and my putter.

My first shot with it came on the 1st hole where I hit the ball to the left of the green leaving me a chip from about 10 feet off the green. I had little green to work with so I pulled out my 1 out. Hit a nice chip that landed where I wanted it on the fringe and rolled to about 2 ft from the pin. Very pleased.

My first swing with it was interesting. Easily the heaviest wedge I have ever held. The head is so dense. At first this was a little of a distraction. But as I completed my practice chips I liked the weight. I tend to bail on chips where I don't have much room to work with and leave them well short. I felt that the weight assisted me through the ball and did not allow me to bail due to the weight. The club felt absolute quality from the heavy head to the stock "pure feel steel" stepless shaft to the lamkin grip.

I continued to use the wedge on numerous occasions through my round yielding no bad chips. The thick sole of the club carried it through the ball on chips I felt that I would have chunked miserably with my beloved tour trustys.

The play out of the sand was incredible. Aim an inch and a half behind the ball and swing and it came out every time. That was a huge confidence booster for me. Something I normally struggle with appeared to have become something to not be feared.

Needless to say after 13 or so chips and bunker shots I was smitten. I did however find a con with the wedge, make that 3. 1. The wedges weight on full swings was distracting and yielded mixed results. 2. I don't play any chrome finished club and hated some if the glare I caught of the polished toe and heel area. 3. I felt the wedge did not spin well, however that may be my inability to spin the ball not the wedge.

To wrap this up. I have found an amazing deal, a hidden Internet gem. I felt I had to share this with my fellow club ho's. 49.99 worth it for anyone looking to help their short game.

And to answer before anyone asks. I have tried similar clubs and this was far superior to the Cleveland smartsole, TM ATV, Wilson Sandy Andy, and Ben Hogan Sure Out

Here are some pics. Feel free to ask any questions!
tour-edge-1-out-sand-wedge-2.jpg

tour-edge-1-out-sand-wedge-md-3.jpg

Looks extremely smart-sole ish

It is but I like it way more. Heavier for sure. And love that extra long Lamkin wedge grip

Interesting. Didn't know Tour Edge had this. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm. As bad as my bunker play is as of late I may need to try one.
Thanks for the pic and review. Very informative.

An update.

Played 2 more rounds with it, and still am smitten with it. Learned to like the heavy head on full shots and now is becoming my go to club 85yards and in. Wet conditions today at the course and that wide sole saved me Alot. I can't say enough how much I love this wedge. And how much better it is than the smart sole. Love my first Tour Edge product.

Interesting. Didn't know Tour Edge had this. Thanks for the post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thus wedge has me pondering other tour Edge offerings. How do u like ur Irons?

Hmmm you have me pondering?!?!?!?! Happy to hear you found something that works for you!

Thus wedge has me pondering other tour Edge offerings. How do u like ur Irons?
Simply put, I love them. They are forgiving, have a nice large face (my preference) which presents well at address, and I have consistent distance. I will say that the sound at impact is somewhat muted, but it doesn't bother me when I see that ball fly straight.

Nice review, thank you! Next to putters, I think wedges are the most fickle clubs to find a good match with and having one you feel real confident about can help shave strokes from that score card. Congratulations.

Good review. Interesting because I've seen the clubs you've mentioned on that site... but decided to pull the trigger on a Cleveland CG16 black pearl sand wedge... I didn't even consider the bazooka 1 out...

Are you finding that the wedge gives consistent results on all of your shot attempts? How does it react if the club face is a bit more open than you think it is at address?

I ask the second question because I've lined up with my CG16 to chip and I guess I've got the club face open as the ball goes shooting off the toe and goes entirely the wrong direction in a shank away from me.

Simply put, I love them. They are forgiving, have a nice large face (my preference) which presents well at address, and I have consistent distance. I will say that the sound at impact is somewhat muted, but it doesn't bother me when I see that ball fly straight.

I'm going to hit the bay I think and give those a whirl. The are GI irons I'm assuming? Thanks!

Good review. Interesting because I've seen the clubs you've mentioned on that site... but decided to pull the trigger on a Cleveland CG16 black pearl sand wedge... I didn't even consider the bazooka 1 out...

Are you finding that the wedge gives consistent results on all of your shot attempts? How does it react if the club face is a bit more open than you think it is at address?

I ask the second question because I've lined up with my CG16 to chip and I guess I've got the club face open as the ball goes shooting off the toe and goes entirely the wrong direction in a shank away from me.

I had my 5th round with it today. Very very consistent. I now really enjoy hitting full shots with it. Chips are effortless and I have the wedge checking up a bit, definitely not the best spinning wedge tho.

To answer ur question, it's wide sole really isn't friendly to opening up the face. But if I'm reading ur question right it sounds like u weren't intentionally opening up the face? The wedge opened up the face on its own? If that's the case this wedge with the wide sole keeps the face square at address. I have not tried to open it up and take shots with it, it is a 58 degree so I haven't ran into any situations where I needed more loft. I will try tomorrow to open it up though and see what transpires.

Okay so 6 rounds and many range sessions logged with this wedge and I really think we have a winner here. 49.99 and is arguably dare I say my favorite wedge I have ever purchased. I'm finally getting the wedge to check on longer pitches and full swings. It has more bite than my Tour Trustys which is interested because there is no extra face milling. this wedge has gotten me up and down more in the past week and a half then I have all summer. The sole on this wedge just oozes confidence on any shot.

To answer scorpion12 I do not recommend opening the face up, the sole is to large and unless u were sitting up on a fluffy rough lie u could not get under the ball. It's a 58 degree wedge tho so it gives u all the loft u need on most shots.

I've been very pleased with how this wedge has worn. Not much wear and been struck approximately 100+ times. Everything is holding up fantastic. This wedge is a keeper

Guys 49.99 rock bottom golf, it's almost a bad idea not to try it.

very good review(s). thanks for the posts and like others, congratulations on finding something that works for you. That's a big deal when it comes to the short game.

very good review(s). thanks for the posts and like others, congratulations on finding something that works for you. That's a big deal when it comes to the short game.

Thanks I'm excited about my wedge and putter. Short game is improving slowly but surely

You answered my question. Good job finding a wedge that works for you. The problem I occasionally have with my wedge is that I'll line up for a shot and address my ball. If I'm not paying attention the face of my wedge will be left of parallel to the ball (I'm a lefty) and the ball comes off the toe... if I keep the face of the club more to the right of parallel to the ball, it does fine. It's just me being lazy and not paying attention. (And no, it's not intentional when this happens and the ball coming off the toe)

You answered my question. Good job finding a wedge that works for you. The problem I occasionally have with my wedge is that I'll line up for a shot and address my ball. If I'm not paying attention the face of my wedge will be left of parallel to the ball (I'm a lefty) and the ball comes off the toe... if I keep the face of the club more to the right of parallel to the ball, it does fine. It's just me being lazy and not paying attention. (And no, it's not intentional when this happens and the ball coming off the toe)

Hmm that's an interesting problem to have. never heard that before

Just updating. I'm probably 20+ rounds in now with this wedge and it is now 2nd to my putter for my most used club (says alot about my GIR huh?). I love it. I highly suggest trying it, really is an amazing deal.

Quality wise it is wearing very well. I've hit out of some rocky sand traps and only usual nicks. Love this club on chips and even more on full shots.

Glad you found something working for you.

Glad you found something working for you.

Thanks you. Now if I could only fill the rest of my bag with clubs that work for me

Thanks you. Now if I could only fill the rest of my bag with clubs that work for me
Any update on this wedge ... you still loving it? I'm looking for a 58 and sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this one.

I know their bazooka line is "inspired" by other items, but I cant help but look at this and see a near identical remake of the SmartSole.
They messed up on the weight placement in my opinion, but I am sure it functions fine.

I know their bazooka line is "inspired" by other items, but I cant help but look at this and see a near identical remake of the SmartSole.
They messed up on the weight placement in my opinion, but I am sure it functions fine.
I've got my eye on a couple SmartSole's on eBay too. I've finally wisened up and retired the 60 degree lob wedge and need to put something in its place. I may just hold off until I can get to Golfsmith next weekend, though I'm afraid that if Wilson releases the Infinity putters before then I'll wind up with a larger bill than I anticipated!

Back