Smartphone as Launch Monitor

TheRyno

Reaction score
Handicap
The specs on the new iPhone show multiple lenses on it. I’m not familiar with the type of camera lens in a launch monitor vs a phone. Does anyone know if this is possible with current phones or could the lens for future phones gets better to make launch monitors more affordable?

Rapsodo just released a mobile launch monitor that uses your Iphone camera. Uses the front camera though.

Bridgestone BFit, but it's pretty much abandonware at this point

I’m not sure we are there yet but that’s a super interesting idea. It might be possible but the cameras would need a ton of programming

I’m wondering if that’s what makes the launch monitors so expensive, a really expensive lens. I know that they snap pictures at a ridiculous rate so maybe that’s where the phones can’t keep up. It seems like the smartphone cameras have gotten way better over the last five years so maybe they come up with a way to do it.

When it comes to the astronomically expensive, the only quality launch monitor that uses a camera is GC2/GCQuad. The other two launch monitor brands worth mentioning in this category are Trackman and FlightScope, both of which use doppler radar for measuring ball data.

That being said, I think the cost being passed on to consumers is mostly going to salaries (in exchange for time/effort/research to write programming to make data points useful or otherwise improve the product). Though I'm sure the quality of the camera or doppler radar plays a role in the end unit cost.

When it comes to the astronomically expensive, the only quality launch monitor that uses a camera is GC2/GCQuad. The other two launch monitor brands worth mentioning in this category are Trackman and FlightScope, both of which use doppler radar for measuring ball data.

That being said, I think the cost being passed on to consumers is mostly going to salaries (in exchange for time/effort/research to write programming to make data points useful or otherwise improve the product). Though I'm sure the quality of the camera or doppler radar plays a role in the end unit cost.

High frame rate cameras in a small form factor are very expensive.

Launch monitors, for the most part, don't use 'cameras', they use a radar based system. iPhones, as far as I know, don't have radar installed.

Launch monitors, for the most part, don't use 'cameras', they use a radar based system. iPhones, as far as I know, don't have radar installed.

The highest precision launch monitors do use cameras. The take multiple pictures in a tiny amount of time, then compare them to measure speed, angle, and spin, and then extrapolate the data to determine flight path/carry distance/spin.

Depends what you consider "high" frame rate.
GCquad claims 10,000 fps, cheapest I could find I a very brief google search was around $1300 for a single cam.

High frame rate cameras in a small form factor are very expensive.

Correct. And heading down a similar path, doppler systems can be had for less when total package is adopted.

The highest precision launch monitors do use cameras. The take multiple pictures in a tiny amount of time, then compare them to measure speed, angle, and spin, and then extrapolate the data to determine flight path/carry distance/spin.

That depends on who you ask. The gold standard is still Trackman on the PGA Tour and it only uses a camera for setup/light measurement purposes, not for ball data. It uses doppler radar for it's measurements.

I love both the Quad and Trackman, but I would really like a system where Trackman is paired with a high speed camera that is focused on you so you can see your numbers but also see your swing.

I love both the Quad and Trackman, but I would really like a system where Trackman is paired with a high speed camera that is focused on you so you can see your numbers but also see your swing.

That's been available for years. You can even use a phone now to pair with the Trackman Windows based software.

Some of my earliest lessons 5 or 6 years ago were done on Trackman with 2 cameras paired - head on and down the line.

That depends on who you ask. The gold standard is still Trackman on the PGA Tour and it only uses a camera for setup/light measurement purposes, not for ball data. It uses doppler radar for it's measurements.

Highest precision for limited ball flight* is what I should’ve said. When hitting into a net, cameras are more precise. Trackman Is the gold standard when you can track the full flight of a ball.

That's been available for years. You can even use a phone now to pair with the Trackman Windows based software.

Some of my earliest lessons 5 or 6 years ago were done on Trackman with 2 cameras paired - head on and down the line.

I'm pretty sure I knew that. I was thinking more along the lines or a proper high speed camera.

Highest precision for limited ball flight* is what I should’ve said. When hitting into a net, cameras are more precise. Trackman Is the gold standard when you can track the full flight of a ball.

And the gold standard for club creation is not always as it appears (same on PGA Tour).
There is no doubt and its not even in the same ballpark, which type of unit works better indoors.

And the gold standard for club creation is not always as it appears (same on PGA Tour).
There is no doubt and its not even in the same ballpark, which type of unit works better indoors.
Can you elaborate on that? When you say club creation, are you referring to which system OEMs are using? I kind of always assumed the R&D tester guys were using Trackman with robots hitting into a range.

Can you elaborate on that? When you say club creation, are you referring to which system OEMs are using? I kind of always assumed the R&D tester guys were using Trackman with robots hitting into a range.

Both, but more switched to camera in the last 24 months than ever before. The trend will continue until another brand steps up and challenges the ability to see the face as well at impact and work as well indoors.

EDIT to Add - The good news is there are choices for everybody and there are some great machines out there. We switched from radar to camera (flightscope to foresight) and couldn't imagine going back. We met with Trackman during that time as well.

I’m not sure we are there yet but that’s a super interesting idea. It might be possible but the cameras would need a ton of programming
It is definitely possible with some of the cameras on a few high end Android phones not sure about IPhones.

I am waiting for the day it's standard equipment on each cart making lost balls a thing of the past or much more infrequent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I knew that. I was thinking more along the lines or a proper high speed camera.

It is possible to pair the software with high speed cameras. I’m not sure if it’s limited to specific makes/models or other compatibility issues. The cameras used in my lessons where high speed cameras so I could view the videos of my swing in slow motion.

I’m not sure what you mean here.

I’m not sure what you mean here.

Trackman has partnerships with the PGA, while OEMs go after newer technologies to improve their club making abilities.

Trackman has partnerships with the PGA, while OEMs go after newer technologies to improve their club making abilities.

They just have to be intelligent about it because new doesn’t always mean better. But I’m all for companies trying as often as possible to produce something better.

Back