Smoking on the course

Does weed count? Way more of that going on up here in the PNW that cigs or cigars. I have never smoked cigs but people should not be ostracized for that. Respect others on both sides of the equation. Personal space does matter in many instances and what I really don't care for is cigarette smoking guy sitting close on the train reeking in the early morning. Don't take that personal cigarette smokin' guy, it's just an opinion not a value judgement.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me one bit

I'm not a fan, but it is what it is. I'm also not a fan of vegans or people who do crossfit but here we are.

Honestly though, as long as they are respectful and not blowing smoke in my face it doesn't really matter to me much.
Ahh..but what about parkour? I can go for that if they are wearing joggers.

Love a cigar now and again... not a must and always check with playing partner if they care. Never ash or spit on the greens/tees.

Kind of a odd qualm that you would have against someone outdoors... in a cart ok i get, but generally not in confined spaces together during the round

Cigar / smoke is a lot like music/ speakers , on the course ….
You can’t contain the smoke / cigar or sound ….

So I have to breathe it or listen to it , regardless …

So it impacts me ….

Reactions: Ooo
It doesn't bother me. But if you smoke a cigar, please smoke a good one.

I smoke a cigar or two while playing and usually have them in a holder in the cart. Ash on the green? I would rather have ashes than sunflower seeds or spit.

As a cigar smoker I am very conscious of where I stand in relation to my playing partners so the smoke does not envelop them. Also, when taking a cart I make sure to always be behind the other cart so my smoke does not waft into them while driving.

The fact is that smoking makes you look cooler. More people should smoke imo. I'm thinking about taking it up.

You crack me up!

I burn the devil's lettuce for about 95% of my rounds. I ALWAYS ask whomever I am with if they mind, and over hundreds of rounds, I never had anyone show resistance. I mostly walk so no worries about sharing the same cart. I remain courteous and try to do it after we hit our tee shots on a par 4/5 where we can go our separate ways and keep distance so it is not blowing in their face. It has been legal here for years so I don't see it any differently than a cigarettes' or cigar. A few playing partners actually said they preferred it vs the cigs and cigar since it will be a much quicker and less frequent indulgence.

Many of my regular partners smoke cigars on the golf course. I have never smoked in my life. The guys I play with are very considerate both about secondhand smoke and where they put the cigars and cleaning up after themselves. I don’t really like riding a cart with someone who smokes because you can’t really avoid the smoke.

Even when I was a smoker I didn't smoke on the course. Too big of a hassle, putting it down to hit, policing butts. Maybe if there was a long wait behind a slow group, I would light up. I don't find vapes to be as bad as cigs, they usually smell a lot better.

My regular playing partner smokes, and I am an ex smoker, so it doesn't really bother me.

What does, however, is cig/cigar butts around the green or on the course. Lazy.....and inconsiderate of others as well as the course.

I dipped for over 40 years, however, most who know me never knew I was dipping. I tried to keep it to myself and was always respectable of others. No, I don't dip anymore, I'm about three years removed from it now.

I will have a cigar from time-to-time while golfing, I don't smoke them off the course. I never smoked cigs or cigars while I was a dipper but as an occasional cigar smoker I am respectful of others and will go out of my way to not offend anyone else.

I don’t care personally but it really never comes up. I see a few butts on the ground but during play in my experience. Thinking about it I don’t know anyone personally that smokes, and the golf buddies that smoke a cigar are more on the patio with a drink after the round than on the course.

I don't smoke, but it's not my business if other people do. I'd just prefer not to ride in a cart with them. What I don't like are people who throw their butts on the golf course instead of using garbage cans on every tee or collecting them somehow to throw away when they finish playing.

It doesn't bother me that much, but it does piss me off when I see people smoking on our city golf courses (where it is banned by bylaw). If you have to smoke when you play choose one of the 20+ courses that allow it - not one of the three that doesn't.

I smoke cigars on the course but I always check with the group I am playing with to make sure everyone is ok with smoke and if they are not I will not smoke one.

SAITA or is being paired with smokers an annoyance?
I give. What means "SAITA?" A search comes up bupkis.

As for the original question: Meh. As long as they're not blowing it at me I don't much care.

N.B.: I'm an ex-smoker, having quit fourteen years ago after smoking for about forty years.

Last edited:
I smoke cigars on the course but I always check with the group I am playing with to make sure everyone is ok with smoke and if they are not I will not smoke one.
Looks like I need to open your box back up that I just packed! What are some favorites?

Looks like I need to open your box back up that I just packed! What are some favorites?
I tend to get a box of Cohiba Red Dots once a year and then buy a couple of tins of Minis at the same time. Then, I will fill in from there with more Medium cigars at a much lower price point. We have a cigar shop here and the guy that runs it usually has a good recommendation.

I tend to get a box of Cohiba Red Dots once a year and then buy a couple of tins of Minis at the same time. Then, I will fill in from there with more Medium cigars at a much lower price point. We have a cigar shop here and the guy that runs it usually has a good recommendation.
Repackaged :)

Back