Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Had a female neighbor come over and frantically tell me she had a copperhead behind her back porch. Ok, I have no real snake fear so why not check it out. I took an Ocello Dust Mop with me i was so scared, šŸ¤£

I found this terrifying beast. Donā€™t judge itā€™s size by my hand I have NFL QB sized hands.

I threw it in Kurtā€™s hot rob (kidding, released unharmed as noted by the last pic).

Probably 28ā€ long. Big garter snake but just another boring garter snake. I of course didnā€™t tell her that, šŸ¤£ so she was shrieking as it was trying to bite me (wasnā€™t going to happen, I may have played that a little, šŸ˜‚).

Who would corner and grab this non poisonous snake and who would tell their neighbor to go away? 57AFA396-ADC6-46F8-8349-EEB6B5567AFF.jpegF7CF659E-01F9-4B76-9090-4F84940A357D.jpeg6D5839AB-E5F2-498D-A017-E75760B1D5BE.jpeg3F534DDA-CE5A-4E28-832D-6374A6A78DC4.jpeg

Haha! I was morel hunting last weekend and had one just like that stir up at my feet. I was right next to a big drop-off into a stream below. He scurried right off the cliff! Almost looked like he jumped out of fear...

Your good deed for the day! I'm lucky to live now in a place without poisonous snakes, but worried constantly for my dog in Italy where they have some nasty vipers.

That's a big nothing burger in my homeland.

Never had fear of snakes. Respect for the venomous variety. Here is one that a guy caught recently at a nearby snake hunt. 74D7C527-CB93-4673-9C31-286DBA1E4691.jpeg

Never had fear of snakes. Respect for the venomous variety. Here is one that a guy caught recently at a nearby snake hunt. View attachment 9005671

Thatā€™s edible! Iā€™ve ate smaller ones than mine before. That was during survival training though. You eat what you can.

i went fishing with my brother in-law, who is deathly afraid of snakes, and he saw a snake swimming in the lake we were fishing...funny thing was that it was about 30 yards from us and he started to have a heart attack thinking about it. of course the snake started swimming our way. he dropped his poll and ran. one of the funniest things i have ever seen. :ROFLMAO:

I catch snakes all the time! Love 'em! Respect the poisonous ones but love chasing down the non-poisonous ones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The snakes are sure out here in Houston. We saw 3 in one 30-minute walk around Kingwood - one was the biggest Hog Nose Snake I've ever seen!

As many are fleeing blue states for red states, they are having to come to terms with the (4) venomous snakes found in the U.S. It sure makes sense for people to learn to recognize and differentiate between the venomous ones and non-venemous ones.

Without looking into it, it seems to me that one of the warmer, wetter winters we had a few years back led to an explosion in Copperheads - they seem to be everywhere now.

I had a huge black snake on my deck yesterday. My wife came running in all scared. I went out and coaxed him down underneath the deck. I explained to my wife how cool these snakes are and great for our ecosystem of our area (killing rats, mice, etc.). I have never been scared of šŸ and have always been interested in them. I have run across some big rattlers and copperheads that I give a wide berth to. The only snake in North America that I will be on high alert from is a water moccasin, they are extremely aggressive and unpredictable.

If you like the outdoors, snakes are part of it. They are definitely going to be in the fun places haha. I've actually got tagged by a copperhead twice (I don't recommend it) and I still move nonvenomous ones if they are in harm's way. I got a little guy living in my rose bush called "Gary the Garder" and he is about that size. I actually saw him for the first time yesterday when I mowed.

Venomous ones though scare the piss out of me now, being that if I get bit again there's a good chance I would be allergic to the antivenom. Haha I came up on a timber rattlesnake last summer and that rattle felt like death blowing on the back of my neck.

20200226_140412.jpg
Hiking in Seguaro National Park with my uncle 2 winters ago, pointed this out and told me if I tripped, just fall, don't stick your hand out to catch yourself while hiking in the desert canyon's! šŸ˜³

Dude that thing is massive. Biggest one you have ever caught?
Wasnā€™t me. It is one of the largest Iā€™ve seen in the area

Sorry, but the only good snake is a dead snake to me. I know they do a lot of good things and I will not mess with them but not a fan.

I'd go help.

I've dealt with several snakes in my yard over the years. All totaled I think it was 5. All but 1 were harmless. 1 was dead when I found it... drowned in my pool. It was a milk snake. Another one went through my skimmer and wound up in the filter basket by the pump. That was a surprise when I opened it up and out popped a snake!:eek:

One was I don't know. Never found a picture that looked like it. It might have been a juvenile... whatever it was I almost stepped on it mowing the lawn.:eek: It went on its way after I tried to run it over with the aformentioned mower. It was a grayish color with blueish mottled patches. It looked kind of like a water moccasin but I'd not seen one in that coloration.

A couple of coachwhips or black racers... one of which decided it wanted to check out my garage. Scared my wife and I battled the thing for 1/2 hours chasing it around the garage trying to get it to leave. I finally cornered it and grabbed it... the crazy thing was mock striking at whatever I put near it. Once I released it, it played dead in the yard. :cautious: "Now! Now you play dead. Stupid snake." I checked on it 10 minutes after I freed it and it was gone.

Growing up in West Texas I've run across a few Rattlebugs over the years. While I'm not really afraid of them I don't want to mess with them any more than I have to. I had a friend that was bit by a small one in the back of his ankle. He was about 23 at the time and in pretty good shape and it put him in the hospital for 3 weeks. We gassed a couple of dens at a buddies ranch a few years ago and got a few. They did it one time when I was in high school and got about 130 from 2 dens.

A couple encounter I had were mowing at an Army Corp of Engineers lake in college. I was weedeating under a big oak tree that had limbs hanging down so you couldn't mower under it. As I'm doing it I see a little 1 ft one curl up near the head of the weedeater. People asked why I didn't kill it with that and I was like with my luck it would swing it back at my legs and bite me. I was also mowing a trail on a zero turn and had a big one raise up right in front of me. I pulled back on those handles pretty quick.:ROFLMAO:

used to have a snake in college, briefly..... was really hoping we saw a desert variety on the trip to vegas....

Yeah, I'm out on all snakes. There was a large black snake of some variety just off the cart path by the 15th tee box at The Ocean Course at Hammock Beach and I involuntarily nearly crashed the cart with Tyler :LOL:. Needless to say when @JDax put his drive on 15 into the foliage I didn't dig in too deep :oops:

The Cottonmouths worry me the most since they can be aggressive. Seen a few rattlers out hunting and hiking and they are at least polite enough to give off a warning (most times at least).

Back