So I finally befriended my driver, but ...

CarstenBF

Reaction score
Handicap
Short story long, I've recently picked up golf again after a 20 year hiatus. Didn't use any kind of woods back then, be it driver or FW's. However during a visit to my sister a borrowed a set, and hit it's Callaway driver pretty well. So I figured I wanted my own. During winter I picked up a cheap G10 off the rack. Got the 12* version as I'd read quite a few postings on people playing too low lofts. I'm not exactly a long hitter, so I figured it'd be just the thing for me.

Now spring is here, and I've had the opportunity to put it to use. First couple of range sessions was abysmal to put it mildly. Very low launch and terrible slice to the point that the ball ended rolling sideways. I was about to give up on the thing, but then started experimenting with tee'ing it up quite high (entire ball above head at adress) and moving the ball way forward in the stance. (all the way to the left foot or slightly beyond) I try to swing like the ball is centered in the stance, which makes me strike it when the head is on it's way up.

Boom! Heureka! Wow! (it helped quite a bit)

However, this succes came with it's own set of problems. The trajectory is so high that I think I'm loosing distance. Furthermore I can't really use it in windy conditions. Which is about half the times I'm out here.

Enough prose, here comes my question. Do I get a lower lofted driver, or will I have to amend my technique? Seriously considering getting a 7.5*, but that had me thinking. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

(yes, yes I'll go see my pro about it. Just thought I'd get some feedback in here aswell)

Thanks in advance
- Carsten

A shaft change will lower the loft and will be much easier to work with than going to a 7.5

I got to agree with JB on this, get fit for a shaft and do that first.

I'd say work on your technique first. You haven't taken swings with a wood in over 20 years so you'll need to develop come consistency. Once you get a comfortable and somewhat repeatable swing, then think about changing shafts or driver. If you do any driver changes, I'd recommend gradually stepping down in loft. Less loft will amplify the sidespin you put on the ball = more slice.

Thanks for your input.

Not entirely convinced that a shaft change would help much, I mean the trajectory is REALLY high. Probably launching the ball at 40-45*. While that sounds perfect from a theoretical point of view, in the real world not so much. If I push/pull it, I'm usually in a world of trouble as nothing is gonna save me (trees, rough, etc). Anyways, demo-day coming up, so that should give me a chance to try out a variety of stuff.

Less loft will amplify the sidespin you put on the ball = more slice.
I see. Is it like more loft = more backspin = sidespin less of a factor?
When I'm focused I don't really slice it much anymore. But I'd hate to put myself in a position to be more vulnerable in that respect. (evil slice of doom always lurking in the shadows)

Too far up infront of your stance? now that you have the motions back, try moving it a little farther back, Like a ball or 2 balls inside your front foot?

Yeah, worth a try. Still got some lessons spare. Should devote at least one of em to the driver I suppose.

Thanks for your input.

Not entirely convinced that a shaft change would help much, I mean the trajectory is REALLY high. Probably launching the ball at 40-45*. While that sounds perfect from a theoretical point of view, in the real world not so much. If I push/pull it, I'm usually in a world of trouble as nothing is gonna save me (trees, rough, etc). Anyways, demo-day coming up, so that should give me a chance to try out a variety of stuff.

I see. Is it like more loft = more backspin = sidespin less of a factor?
When I'm focused I don't really slice it much anymore. But I'd hate to put myself in a position to be more vulnerable in that respect. (evil slice of doom always lurking in the shadows)

Changing a shaft can alter the flight characteristics in most cases more than changing the degree in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back