So the PGA show has come and gone. For 400$ what is the best option on a launch monitor?

Tandy

Reaction score
Handicap
So the PGA show has come and gone. For 400$ what is the best option on a launch monitor?
Seems the best choices are SC-200 plus, Flightscope Mevo and the unknown ES-B1. Would you wait for a review on it or no? Right now am leaning towards the Mevo.
Any thoughts from anyone that was at the show? Was great coverage interesting to follow along!

I would probably say save your $400 to be honest. The Rapsodo was cool but it also had some inaccuracies on things. If you were able to save another 400, then you'd have 800 by 2021 and the market could be totally different.

I would probably say save your $400 to be honest. The Rapsodo was cool but it also had some inaccuracies on things. If you were able to save another 400, then you'd have 800 by 2021 and the market could be totally different.
Interesting, that was the forth option that I didn't want to bring up lol. Thanks might just do that.

Some people like MEVO. In my testing it had a lot of inaccuracies compared to better units. My thought is if launch, spin and other items are desired and/or chased, and they are off by a few percentage points, the chase could be detrimental.

I don’t see the value yet, but think within a couple of years it will be there.

Interesting, that was the forth option that I didn't want to bring up lol. Thanks might just do that.

Theres a very crowded boat of people wanting to find something in that price range. And we’re all gonna have to keep waiting. I had the Mevo, it lasted about two range sessions before I returned it. Not any fun having something inaccurate

Save and invest in the Sky Track. I’m biased. I literally bought one at the show but I have to say out of all the ones I looked at, reviewed and checked out personally, the Sky Track offered the most and the best bang for my buck.

Theres a very crowded boat of people wanting to find something in that price range. And we’re all gonna have to keep waiting. I had the Mevo, it lasted about two range sessions before I returned it. Not any fun having something inaccurate
The big question is is it consistent though with its inaccurate numbers that are off. Like if it's off by 10 or 5 yards, is it always consistently off by that number? Or is it all over the map with sometimes over sometimes under off the actual yardage. Is a bit confusing question , do you get what I'm asking here?

The big question is is it consistent though with its inaccurate numbers that are off. Like if it's off by 10 or 5 yards, is it always consistently off by that number? Or is it all over the map with sometimes over sometimes under off the actual yardage. Is a bit confusing question , do you get what I'm asking here?

I do, yeah. Spin was off, launch was off, and since those are calculated, who knows how much I was way off

Save your ur money for 4 years and you’ll have $1600! Then if the tech is there buy a less expensive one. If not, well, you’ve got $1600 lol

I really thought this segment of the market would be racing ahead at the show, but obviously the technology and price points just aren't merging for guys like me yet.

I don’t need spin or launch, I’m really just looking for distances and found the G80 to fit my needs perfectly. The GPS function also has me leaving my rangefinder in my bag.

So while I can’t fit myself (I wouldn’t try anyway) I can figure out my distances. (It’s proven to be pretty accurate)

Some people like MEVO. In my testing it had a lot of inaccuracies compared to better units. My thought is if launch, spin and other items are desired and/or chased, and they are off by a few percentage points, the chase could be detrimental.

I don’t see the value yet, but think within a couple of years it will be there.

i’m shocked trackman and foresight haven’t dipped into this market. the market seems so ripe for this.

i’m shocked trackman and foresight haven’t dipped into this market. the market seems so ripe for this.

It is, but both companies say they wont do it, just do it, because their name and reputation are on the line. I believe we will get there, but I dont love that people how much it leads to false fit, etc with a lot of the popular devices currently.

It is, but both companies say they wont do it, just do it, because their name and reputation are on the line. I believe we will get there, but I dont love that people how much it leads to false fit, etc with a lot of the popular devices currently.
Did you learn anything about the Mevo + JB? It is in the 1999 range, but it has some big claims. Maybe they are the real deal at that price???

I am glad that foresight and the others are not just jumping in, but why would they? As devils advocate... they can only cannibalize their high end market if they make anything useful to the recreational golfer.

Did you learn anything about the Mevo + JB? It is in the 1999 range, but it has some big claims. Maybe they are the real deal at that price???

I am glad that foresight and the others are not just jumping in, but why would they? As devils advocate... they can only cannibalize their high end market if they make anything useful to the recreational golfer.

I learned about it pre show. I look forward to testing it out. I spoke to a friend that said they had some issues at show demos, but that at least those units were functioning properly. But my FlightScope X2 Elite functioned properly at the show too, then gave me fits with improper readings.

I learned about it pre show. I look forward to testing it out. I spoke to a friend that said they had some issues at show demos, but that at least those units were functioning properly. But my FlightScope X2 Elite functioned properly at the show too, then gave me fits with improper readings.
Yeah. It is only a matter of time. I'm anxious to have something to go to the driving range with.

Today was a prime example where I am working out a new swing and could not tell if I was getting the distances, launch and spin I am used to seeing. Well, I wasn't, but I could not tell what was off. While at the range, I could probably get along with a unit that gave me accurate launch and accurate ball speed and deduce the spin , curve, etc from there. Indoors and you need more data.

Anyway - look forward to learning more on this segment!

I was thinking about pulling the trigger and pre-ordering a mevo+ but I may wait a few months and see what the early reviews say. I currently have a Voice Caddie SC300, fairly accurate with full iron shots, I thought it over estimated on driver swing speed, but ball speed and carry distance was accurate, but definitely has its limitations.

Interesting stuff, had also been wondering why the big name companies don't have a cheaper option on top of the more expensive units that they have. Must be something behind it as to why they wouldn't have one.
So purely from a stand point for knowing or learning your distances on one's clubs and two to play around the approach and target mode to keep up your swing in the winter months.
Can the SC-200 and/or the Mevo be trusted to be accurate enough for at least that?

When they do and it provides 75-80% of the features at the fraction of the cost of their high end 15-20K professional units. The high end units will need to be reduced in price, because they will be selling less of them.

Example: The Tesla Model S and X were selling a lot prior to the affordable Model 3. Now the Model 3 is Tesla’s bread and butter vehicle. Less sales of the S and X, because the cost is still expensive.

The Mevo has the highest potential at that price range, but do you really want to wait months/years for FS to get their **** together?

Yeah. It is only a matter of time. I'm anxious to have something to go to the driving range with.

Today was a prime example where I am working out a new swing and could not tell if I was getting the distances, launch and spin I am used to seeing. Well, I wasn't, but I could not tell what was off. While at the range, I could probably get along with a unit that gave me accurate launch and accurate ball speed and deduce the spin , curve, etc from there. Indoors and you need more data.

Anyway - look forward to learning more on this segment!

look at it like this. Let’s say you are looking for launch angle and testing shows it’s reasonably accurate. What is reasonably accurate with launch angle? A degree? 2 degrees? I’m not sure I think that is acceptable without imaging (camera system).

Rapsodo told me 1.5 degrees or so and that brings I a pretty big launch window.

I think launch monitors are a great fitting tool. As an owner of a few I believe some work better than others. I’m just not sure I would be diving straight in yet to chase numbers that aren’t reality. Just my take.

The Mevo has the highest potential at that price range, but do you really want to wait months/years for FS to get their **** together?

I own the original MEVO, and pre-ordered the MEVO+ based on my happiness with MEVO and with Flightscope's exceptional level of customer service. I'd be REALLY interested to learn in what aspect FS doesn't have their shiite together...

Same, I had a buddy down there who was going to try to buy it. They were not offering a show discount (except saving sales tax) and after he demoted it, watched demoes he said he wasn‘t comfortable with it yet. Hence I will wait till it is out and they work some bugs out. I still think this had a huge upside.

I own the original MEVO, and pre-ordered the MEVO+ based on my happiness with MEVO and with Flightscope's exceptional level of customer service. I'd be REALLY interested to learn in what aspect FS doesn't have their shiite together...

Comparing the unit side by side to both TrackMan and GCQuad left a lot to be desired. Then their last update to X2 units a couple of years ago, left readings in shambles.

In my opinion, this is why they went consumer products, because so many in the industry where accuracy is a necessity had switched.

Comparing the unit side by side to both TrackMan and GCQuad left a lot to be desired. Then their last update to X2 units a couple of years ago, left readings in shambles.

In my opinion, this is why they went consumer products, because so many in the industry where accuracy is a necessity had switched.

Thanks, JB. What "unit" are you referring to?

I would add that rollout of the original MEVO wasn't pretty. In the end, the data MEVO reports is nicely comparable to the same parameters reported by Trackman4 and GC2.

Thanks, JB. What "unit" are you referring to?

I would add that rollout of the original MEVO wasn't pretty. In the end, the data MEVO reports is nicely comparable to the same parameters reported by Trackman4 and GC2.

Not in my testing side by side with GCQuad and TrackMan. 1 out of every 2-3 comparable and the others off by quite a bit. Glad it works for some it did not for us.

Back