Softer shaft or flatter lie angle?

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
For the better part of the last two years, I have been seeing some very toe up face angles with my irons. Lots of shots going left.

Looking at it, to get close to .5° lie angle at impact, I would need to be 3° flat.

Would I be better off flattening the lie angle or going to a softer shaft, or both?

For the better part of the last two years, I have been seeing some very toe up face angles with my irons. Lots of shots going left.

Looking at it, to get close to .5° lie angle at impact, I would need to be 3° flat.

Would I be better off flattening the lie angle or going to a softer shaft, or both?
3* Flat works better than trying to time your swing to a Weaker, Softer Flex

All my irons are 2* to 3* flat. For the same reason and it has significantly decreased my Hooks, I meant Draw. ?

Try a couple of clubs with a flatter lie angle , such as a 9-iron and a 6-iron, and see what happens.

I believe softer flex would more so effect the timing with the swing more than lie angle at impact based on my recent club champion fitting. I'd think flatting your irons would be the best path.

I would go the bending route before swapping out shafts. Also if you go softer from where you are now does that eliminate the left?

I would go the bending route before swapping out shafts. Also if you go softer from where you are now does that eliminate the left?
That's the other thing. Going a bit softer might straighten it out in general. But if the lie angle is still that far off, it will end up effecting turf interaction more than anything.

From what I understood, softening the flex might get some more toe down deflection.

I was/am really leery of softening the shaft to a weaker flex.

I would go swapping out shafts, because I’m never one to do the easy fix, plus golf shaft experiments are the best

(serious note, bend first then swap shaft)

Bend them. Way cheaper fix, plus you don't want a situation where you need an extra couple yards and you're afraid to jump on it.

I am about 3* flat on all my irons. It’s an easy and cheap adjustment. That would be my route.

I play all mine 1 flat and fitter recommended not going with a softer flex shaft.

Bend them. Way cheaper fix, plus you don't want a situation where you need an extra couple yards and you're afraid to jump on it.
I'm not going to bend my irons. Lol. I'm going to buy new ones. That's the THP way.

I'm not going to bend my irons. Lol. I'm going to buy new ones. That's the THP way.

Buy new. Bend the old, use as backups.

That is the THP way

Way cheaper to bend. And you can always bend it back.

I’d go with a flatter lie. I’ve played 2° Flat
Irons since I first got fitted.

Back