Drexel

Reaction score
Handicap
My usual golf partners can’t make the trip to MB next spring. I was thinking of doing it by myself. Never done anything like that by myself. Any advice - where to stay, what courses to play, time of day to play, your experiences playing as a single on a trip like that?

My usual golf partners can’t make the trip to MB next spring. I was thinking of doing it by myself. Never done anything like that by myself. Any advice - where to stay, what courses to play, time of day to play, your experiences playing as a single on a trip like that?

For decades since I was a youngster I've found pairing up with strangers to be one of the best aspects of the game. Wherever you want to play there will likely be twosomes and threesomes ready for you to join them. Go for it !

Last edited:
Depends your trip objective. You can set up in south MB and do something like Calendonia, True Blue, Pawleys, River and TPC (and/or include some of the lesser courses if $/Budget is a factor). You can als set up in North MB and do Barefoot, Dunes, Tide and so. And finally, you could set up in betweeen and drive a bit longer to hit the "best of".

Time of day...this is easy, since you have ultimate flexibility - I will always suggest first tee time is 930ish. This way you get brekkie, a good warmup and are never rushed and enables a decent sleep. And since you will be on your own, if you want a 2nd impromptu round somewhere it will be easier to jump in soewhere.

My best golf experience is late day, when the course is quiet and play as a single. Why not build a vacation around that experience?

I always felt a little strange dining as a single. Maybe, go to a sports bar and eat at the bar? You'll blend right in.

As a single, if given a choice, I have always preferred joining a twosome or another single rather than a threesome. The dynamics of being the "stranger" seems to work better for me that way. Of course, if the only spot is with a threesome, slot me in!

When dining alone, I like to have something to read/look at (book, magazine, phone). Eating at the course outside & watching the action on the course works too.

Why not connect w some of your THP compatriots to join you for some/all of the rounds?

Why not connect w some of your THP compatriots to join you for some/all of the rounds?
Was going to say if we can have a member/guest fly in - we could certainly get you some MB THPers! I know it was more people that were interested in joining a group in Michigan, had it not already been set up for small group.

I did 3 weeks solo in Scotland and Ireland. Some courses let me book as a single and some didn't. I met a lot of good folks when getting paired up. It was a blast. I can't tell you about MB. I just posted to say going alone is fun and you should have no reservation about it.

I've done Myrtle Beach solo many times, especially back before I sold my condo. As long as you don't make it too long of a trip, you'll be fine. 3-4 days solo? I could do that every month and look forward to it. I would recommend getting tee times in the morning because there will be a better chance of getting paired up with a group. Also, that way you don't have to sit around all morning waiting to play. That drives me nuts. I always shoot for 10:00 am. By the time you are finished, you can hit a good happy hour and extend that out until you are ready to head back to the hotel.

I can't do a whole week in Myrtle Beach solo though. It get's depressing staring out at the ocean in the afternoons with no one to talk to after a few days lol.

Well, you could time your trip to take part in the Myrtle Beach World Amateur in end of August to beginning of September. A THPer just did that and had a thread on his events.

That might be too late in the year for you though.

Lots and lots of good courses around there. Let us know what you come up with. I've never played there so 🤷‍♂️ I'm clueless

I've not done a solo golf trip, but considering the circumstances that your other partners can no longer go, I think its great you're making the best of it as a solo trip!

Go, and make some new friends along the way. Never turn down vacation time, trips, or an opportunity to play golf. Believe me, I’ve learned that lesson the hard way.

That's not for me but if you decide to do it, reach out to some fellow thp'ers. I'm sure there are a few who woukd join you.

One thing I have done in the past was go to the PGA store and see the the people in the lobby. They can set you up with a lot of places the day before you want to play. They seem to always have openings somewhere as they have a list of like a 100 courses.

I went to the Myrtle beach World Am as a single. My league partner couldn't get the time off.
I had a blast, I met so many great people but it was a organized event.

If you go I would HIGHLY recommend you play Caledonia. It was by far the most beautiful course I have ever played.

I stayed at the convention center since I am not a beach person.

I went to the Myrtle beach World Am as a single. My league partner couldn't get the time off.
I had a blast, I met so many great people but it was a organized event.

If you go I would HIGHLY recommend you play Caledonia. It was by far the most beautiful course I have ever played.

I stayed at the convention center since I am not a beach person.
Thanks- Caledonia is definitely on the list!

The thought has crossed my mind to do that as well. The few guys I normally play with I could not stand for more than 4-5 hours a weekend? Went to MB about 25 years ago with a group of 7 other guys. Have wanted to return at some point or to pinehurst. Will be interested to hear how it turned out. Good luck.

@lockstockrye advise spot on. Trying to collect some THPers to join in a good idea. 3rd go to one of the tour options and jump into a preset tour.

Back