Someone talk me out of this....(Club Face Off Time!)

Lol, you came here to be talked out of a golf purchase? ;-)

I still play the tommy armour 845 os
Got them for $80 bucks when I started playing 2 years ago. They were brand new, never hit. Love them. Tried plenty of irons and nothing has replaced these yet; and of course the lofts are weaker, who cares, club up.

I came here to talk you into doing something silly, but I'm too late. Enjoy them!!!

So my plan is once I get them, I'll swing 3 of each of the set aligned by lofts. That would be the following face off:

Tommy Armour 845s ( 1988 )Loft in degrees*Titleist T200 ( 2019 ) Loft in degrees
3 iron214 iron21
6 iron327 iron30
9 iron44Pitching Wedge43

Note: * That's assume they the stock lofts.

The lofts align pretty well although the 7 iron is 2 degrees off. I'll be checking the lofts and verifying the numbers before I hit them.

What else would you guys want to see? @BigDill has a set of S400 120's that he has volunteered to donate to use a modern shaft in the heads to see how much that makes a difference. Any interest there?

Do it!!!

So my plan is once I get them, I'll swing 3 of each of the set aligned by lofts. That would be the following face off:

Tommy Armour 845s ( 1988 )Loft in degrees*Titleist T200 ( 2019 )Loft in degrees
3 iron214 iron21
6 iron327 iron30
9 iron44Pitching Wedge43

Note: * That's assume they the stock lofts.

The lofts align pretty well although the 7 iron is 2 degrees off. I'll be checking the lofts and verifying the numbers before I hit them.

What else would you guys want to see? @BigDill has a set of S400 120's that he has volunteered to donate to use a modern shaft in the heads to see how much that makes a difference. Any interest there?
I have an interest in you doing that, because I think those shafts would be a great fit for you. Did I mention that they were also tour issue?

Confidence is the magic ingredient that makes any club work. That said, I recently re-gripped my old Bullseye Flange putter and tried to game it the other day. This is probably about the 10th time I've tried to get that putter back in my bag over the last 30 years, trying to recapture the magic from high school (I was DEADLY with that putter!).

Alas, I've never been able to be consistent with the Bullseye no matter how much time I've spent with it on the putting green and even in a couple of rounds. It's crazy too because I played Jr High and High school golf in Orlando with grainy, bermuda greens that were slow much of the time back in the late 70's & early 80's. With the smoother and faster greens today, I would think the Bullseye would be great. Not so...

Hopefully though, you'll find that confidence again with the TA's (all of my friends had a set back in the early 90's and loved them too).

Came to say buy them if you hadn't made the decision yet and now we are talking about what shafts to put in them when they get to you..I love this place lol

I was worried with everything going on that they wouldn't ship but sure enough, got a shipping notification. Set will be here Monday.

The actually testing may be delayed until we are off lock down and business are back up and running.

I was worried with everything going on that they wouldn't ship but sure enough, got a shipping notification. Set will be here Monday.

The actually testing may be delayed until we are off lock down and business are back up and running.
Please keep us updated! Like I said before I’m still using the 845 os and I just can’t get away from them. They are like blades from today considering top line but also have weight pushed to the perimeter; way ahead of their time. I know I need to be on my game with these, but the feel is so crisp when I hit it solid. Even playing partners have mentioned how when I flush it the sound/feel is effortless. They say they could barely tell I hit a ball. I’m always baffled by people saying what you’re hitting a 5 from here? When they are hitting a 7.... but the lofts and flight from the 5 are much better than any modern 7 imo. I find these clubs to be almost 2 irons off from modern irons. I’m also a high ball flight player, no issue getting the ball in the air. The ball simply STOPS on the green.
Mine are with the original shafts which are true temper tour step R. they compare to the TT-TT lites at 115 grams.

Please keep us updated! Like I said before I’m still using the 845 os and I just can’t get away from them. They are like blades from today considering top line but also have weight pushed to the perimeter; way ahead of their time. I know I need to be on my game with these, but the feel is so crisp when I hit it solid. Even playing partners have mentioned how when I flush it the sound/feel is effortless. They say they could barely tell I hit a ball. I’m always baffled by people saying what you’re hitting a 5 from here? When they are hitting a 7.... but the lofts and flight from the 5 are much better than any modern 7 imo. I find these clubs to be almost 2 irons off from modern irons. I’m also a high ball flight player, no issue getting the ball in the air. The ball simply STOPS on the green.
Mine are with the original shafts which are true temper tour step R. they compare to the TT-TT lites at 115 grams.

Oh I plan on keeping everyone up to date. In every painful detail. :p

In all disclosure, I might have been drinking a bit last night which is why I thought this was such a great idea. :D

@WillP totally get the love for these. This model was my first ever full set I played with when I was younger. Talk about needing to learn how to get quality strikes on a ball fast. :) I played a 2i thru PW in that set. Loved em. This is as much a nostalgic trip into my early playing days as anything and I figured I would take my THP brethren with me in my hot-tub-time-machine and have some fun.

$100 is basically $0 in golf money :p

Good stuff arrived.

20200324_221424~2.jpg
20200324_223506.jpg

20200324_223519.jpg

Unfortunately it will be a while before I can do some side by side testing as we don't have any place open to go do some comparison hitting.

That's why I keep all of my old stuff; if it's still right there in your basement, you're less likely to feel nostalgic about it.

Those clubs look familiar. My son has a set I got him to play with. He can't hit them worth a can of beans but then again, he's a beginner.

Back