Southern Hills Golf & Country Club - Hawkinsville, GA (Pt 2)

T0AD

2023, you're my last hope
Reaction score
Handicap
lots
The finishing hole is likely one of the toughest in the entire area. You have to hit an accurate tee shot, as water lies left and long, all the while thinking what club you want to attack this green with, as it is a devil to hit in regulation. Playing to your favorite number is highly encouraged. The green is a bit elevated, smaller than the other 17, protected by mounds of rough, water front and left, and bunker short left. There are also very noticeable ridges cutting the green into thirds and making putts from the wrong side of the ridge almost impossible. It is a very challenging hole to complete a round, but not to the point of absurdity. It is what it is, and that is a strong finishing hole on a very nice and challenging course. To be able to pull off a par after playing all day is definitely something to be proud of on this one.

IMAG0481_zpsi3x4onlw.jpg

Looking at the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] green and clubhouse from the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] green.

There are several more up and down holes, and some more doglegs, making for a scenic day on the course away from any sort of population, among the trees and wildlife of the area. It is common to see deer strolling aimlessly across fairways while listening to nothing but the calls of the hawks in the trees. It is a very serene course, with few homes and outside visual interference.

5327ed76-24e1-4941-8338-175a23097f36_zps8c15ee1f.png

Pace of play: Grade B
There is a starter on weekends to keep everyone on time from the outset, but there are no marshals so it’s up to everyone to stay on pace. That being said, on this day, it was a bit busy and just slightly stacked up all day long. For a Saturday morning in early summer, I expect this and I had some good company in some long-time members keeping me occupied. It was this member that told me that the course has been in such phenomenal shape for so long now, that it is no longer a hidden gem in the countryside and they are quite often booked up until late afternoon. He noted that even on weekdays, it’s hard to get on before noon and he’s never seen it as busy. It took almost 5 hours to play 18, and we had to wait up to several minutes on a few shots, but there are definitely worse places to be playing for 5 hours in this area.

Course conditions: Grade A
On the day of this review, I found Southern Hills to be in what I would call at least tournament condition. Having been on course for several previous NGA tournaments, I recognized that the grounds were as pristine as I had seen them. The only exception to perfection might have been the tee boxes, which were still quite good and better than most courses in the area. However shaggy some of the teeing area grass may have looked in some parts, they were at least level and you could get a tee in the ground, something that is sometimes difficult in the southern turf.

The fairways were simply a carpet of soft grass and mown to the perfect height to make quality swings on your ball. There were never any bare or hard spots in the areas in which you were supposed to be playing, the turf was all one color and uniform, and was simply a joy to look at and play from. The separation between fairway and rough was very well defined by a precisely mowed ‘first cut’ that was at least an inch thicker than the fairway. Beyond that, you were into normal grass, maybe 2-3 inches deep that was far more penalizing.

The bunkers throughout the course were all meticulously edged and raked prior to play and were of medium density. I had to play from three of them and the touch and feel playing out was the same in all three and it was obvious that every bunker on the course was filled with the same quality and type of sand. They were nearly completely free of rocks and impediments and plenty of rakes were nearby to cover your tracks.

The greens are hands-down the best I’ve personally seen this season in the entire state. Each and every one carried the same feel and speed and there were no bumps, debris, marks, dry spots, or anything on the surfaces. You could see where previous holes had been cut, but even these areas were smooth and never altered the path of a putt. Hitting approaches into them was a joy as they were soft and accepting which allowed for a bit more aggressive shots right at the pins.

Amenities: Grade A-
There is a medium-sized, but adequate, locker room area with small shower. The area was clean, tidy, and had full soap and towel dispensers at the sinks. There is no beverage cart here except for tournaments or outings but there is cold, clean water in newly built water stations sprinkled around the course. Outside of the clubhouse on the turn, there are small restroom facilities after holes 4 and 13. They are not perfect, but they suit the purpose and are still cleaner than some seen in the area.

The bar/restaurant area is of above-average size, cozy, with a large wooden bar, super friendly staff, a large TV, and plentiful offerings. If you just want a quick sandwich, they have plenty to choose from, along with chips and candy/energy bars. There is a serving table near the bar where you can grab a hotdog, hamburger, or one of the handmade sandwiches from the fridge. Choices in the fridge are usually, turkey and cheese, chicken salad, roast beef, and if you ask nicely, they will probably go back and make a special order cold sandwich while you wait. Soda, water, and Gatorade is readily available, as are several types of canned/bottled/draft beer. I do wish their draft selection was better, but at least it is available and cold. Prices are reasonable and on par with any other facility in town.

For members there is a swimming pool and changing room area outside of the main building. Inside the clubhouse is a large dining room/banquet hall and, I have heard, a great place for weddings, tournaments, and general gatherings. Weddings are held on the immaculate grounds behind the clubhouse, utilizing both the indoor dining room and expansive outdoor deck in the rear, to facilitate gathering, photographs, etc. There is a kitchen on site and they also allow catering.

Price: A++
Considering everything noted and described above in this review, you would think this is a track that demands a bit of interaction with your wallet to get on and enjoy. That, however, could not be further from the truth, which is it is very much the most affordable dollar-value round of golf you will get here. On a Saturday morning, no specials or coupons, I walked away paying just $40.90 after taxes.
Let me say that again. Forty! Dollars!

The rate is only $28-$32 +tax on weekdays, and if you go online to their web site and make tee times, you can find deals down to $20 on weekdays. It is by far the best golf value I can think of anywhere near here.

Overall: A
I don’t know how they do it, but the Dunaway family and the staff keep this place perfect for less than the other above-average courses in the area. Even on their worst days, Southern Hills is better than most clubs within 75 miles, but you don’t have to worry about that, because for the last few months up to this review, the course has been truly wonderful. It appears it will stay that way for the foreseeable future. If you need a reason to get away from Atlanta or Valdosta and come to Middle Georgia, remember you can get one of the best values in the entire state here and play a nearly perfect track for next to nothing. Heck, play it twice, or three times, because you’ll be challenged each time and still enjoy it.

talk about value, looks like a real winner for that price. Love seeing the tee options offering about 300 yards difference between them, something for everyone.

Back