Special Order mishaps.

AG47

Reaction score
Handicap
PRO
Today I got in a special order set of irons for a customer. They were from a very reputable equipment company and the club specs were way off from what the order stated even though the packing sheet had the correct specs on it. The order should have been 1/2" over standard and 3 * upright. When we checked everything in the loft and lie machine they all came out between 1* upright to 1* flat and the length was 3/4" over instead of 1/2".

This is not what I expected from such a reputable company and I have never had a set of clubs come in that were that far from Spec. Luckily I had the equipment to fix them before the customer picked them up.

Has anyone had something like this happen with a custom order?

I had it happen with my XR pros. I asked for half under and got an inch and change under. I kept wondering why they weren't going anywhere and then I put my 8i up against my bag and saw the AW was the same length. Whoops.

Quick call and they took care of it no questions asked. Even they were kinda confused on how there was so much of an error made but they rectified it fast.

Many years ago I ordered a set of MP60's from a large dealer in the area. I ordered them with DG S300, they came in with SL300. I iddmt want to take them and wamted them sent back. The sales guy told me to try them for s round or two and then if I didn't like them they would semd them bsck.

This was pre THP, hell it was barely after the intermet...ha. So I did and they were way to lite. So I go back, and you guessed it the sales guy is no longer there. They initially gave me a hard time saying they were used. Ultimately the owner told me the store and Mizuno worked it out to reshaft them.

So so in the end all was ok.

I special ordered a new set of irons - 3-P and three wedges. Ordered thru the pro at my club. Upgraded shafts, 3* up, +1 long. Midsize grips.

First, clubs arrived were the wrong model.
Then, the right model, but missing two clubs. And the grips were wrong.
Next, Wedges were not changed as to length or lie.
Then, wedges are correct spec, but the grips were wrong.

Eventually (8 weeks after ordering), I got everything squared away. Pro said that I would not have to pay anything above invoice.

Pro leaves the club about 6 months later. I get a bill for the difference as to what I paid and the full retail. I told the club what happened, they did not press the issue.

So, long answer, is yes.

Spivey, that's closer to a disaster than a mishap. Glad it all worked out!

Fortunately, I have encountered any issues. Custom ordered irons from a reputable clubmaker and woods directly from Callaway last December and all arrived to specs ordered. This was my first experience with custom orders.

I special ordered my 712 AP1s a couple years ago and the original order came in right handed, despite the order sheet saying left handed.

I special ordered my 712 AP1s a couple years ago and the original order came in right handed, despite the order sheet saying left handed.

That's just telling you to swing like the rest of us. :alien:

Fortunately, I have encountered any issues. Custom ordered irons from a reputable clubmaker and woods directly from Callaway last December and all arrived to specs ordered. This was my first experience with custom orders.

The Callaway Prototype Utility currently in my bag was a custom order that was supposed to be 3* upright and was actually marked as such with the Blue paint on the hosel but was actually only 1* upright according to two different loft and lie machines. Since its forged it was an easy fix though.

I expect it honestly. All manufacturers have tolerances I believe and if the clubs fall into those tolerances they're being shipped. If I'm not paying anything extra and just adjust loft, lie, length I'm expecting them to be anywhere from a degree or 2 off either way. Luckily working at the range with a bender it's an easy fix for me.

I expect it honestly. All manufacturers have tolerances I believe and if the clubs fall into those tolerances they're being shipped. If I'm not paying anything extra and just adjust loft, lie, length I'm expecting them to be anywhere from a degree or 2 off either way. Luckily working at the range with a bender it's an easy fix for me.

I can't imagine this being accurate. That just doesn't make sense. Especially for a custom ordered set of clubs. That would be similar to ordering a peperoni pizza and the peperoni's just being thrown in the middle and not spread out. Would you then organize the peperoni's? It fits what you asked for just not exactly what you ordered.

I would think having a "tolerance" and shipping if the clubs fit into it, would have a negative effect on the publics opinion of the company. Yeah it's an easy fix for you having the equipment to make changes, but it's not that easy for me. I've got to then drive to where ever I bought the clubs from and have them fix them or even have them shipped back to manufacturer then wait another few weeks before I get my clubs back and hopefully be right. Now the lofts I'd never know if they were wrong, but being short or longer I would hope I'd notice that.

I can't imagine this being accurate. That just doesn't make sense. Especially for a custom ordered set of clubs. That would be similar to ordering a peperoni pizza and the peperoni's just being thrown in the middle and not spread out. Would you then organize the peperoni's? It fits what you asked for just not exactly what you ordered.

I would think having a "tolerance" and shipping if the clubs fit into it, would have a negative effect on the publics opinion of the company. Yeah it's an easy fix for you having the equipment to make changes, but it's not that easy for me. I've got to then drive to where ever I bought the clubs from and have them fix them or even have them shipped back to manufacturer then wait another few weeks before I get my clubs back and hopefully be right. Now the lofts I'd never know if they were wrong, but being short or longer I would hope I'd notice that.
I could very well be wrong but every set of clubs I've ever received straight from a manufacturer has had lofts or lies wrong on at least 2 or more clubs in that particular set of irons. Off the rack clubs are even worse. We've ordered stock irons sets from just about every company and every single one has needed lie and loft adjusts to get back to "stock" it may only be a degree but it's still there.

Sometimes things happen. Most will correct the problem when there is one without an issue.

Sometimes things happen. Most will correct the problem when there is one without an issue.
That I have no doubt it. Most times it's just easier and quicker to fix ourselves but I have no doubts that any company we deal with would take them back and fix them if we asked.

I could very well be wrong but every set of clubs I've ever received straight from a manufacturer has had lofts or lies wrong on at least 2 or more clubs in that particular set of irons. Off the rack clubs are even worse. We've ordered stock irons sets from just about every company and every single one has needed lie and loft adjusts to get back to "stock" it may only be a degree but it's still there.

Wow, that's surprising. But I guess for the general public, we'd never know. Interesting.

Ordered a set lefty, dg shafts, +1/2", 2* upright. Got right handed stock graphite turned out to be an OEM mistake. Also ordered 2 wedges, dg shafts, +1/2", 1* upright and got everything right except they were right handed. That one was the golf shop not noting lefty.

Both issues were fixed at no cost, but man I can't get away from people trying to give me righty clubs

I a firm believer in the old phrase"If you have enough time to fix it the second time then you had enough time to do it right the first time."

Off of the shield clubs I can understand being off by a bit due to factory tolerances but a $1700 custom set should be spot on. The 6i was 4* flatter than what the order requested. That is nowhere near tolerance let alone acceptable.

I don't have much experience with this, but I have an old retired friend that custom makes clubs and I've talked to a few guys at the big box stores like GG and EW. The length being off I would find surprising. The loft and lie being off, not surprised at all. According to all of these guys it's not uncommon for those to be off by as much as 2 deg. As a matter of fact, it's to the point that the pro at EW was more surprised when he looked at my SCOR wedges and every spec was exactly on the spot. Once again, I'm not claiming any personal knowledge or expertise, but this is what has been shared to me by people who do have the expertise.

This is why I got into club building. If something is messed up, I'm the only one to blame.

I wish more manufacturers would sell just club heads. :angry:

Back