Spyglass Hill 6/28 - What will Heez shoot?

Well I wanted to thank you all for following along and a special congrats to @6ixOhFore with a correct guess of 93 on the day! PM me your mailing information and I will get that head cover out to you!

Yesterday was a lot of fun, despite having true issues with my golf swing. After a fantastic warmup an old friend that I hadn't see in awhile crept up on the first tee, the lovely smother hook! My front nine consisted of me trying to fix this issue by playing more to the right and really slinging the ball, it was somewhat playable but just dog $#!T most of the time. My buddy made the observation that instead of trying to correct a flawed swing (& getting worse because of the corrections ie. aiming further right) I just needed to try and hit a cut. So I did and suddenly I was pounding driver and making actual golf swings. I chalk this up to lack of playing time. Despite all this I was pleased with my 93, it is a challenging course and I wasn't too far off my goal of breaking 90!

As for the course, parts of it were magical (I think #1 is one of the better holes on the course), some of it was dumb (three ridiculously downhill par 3s) and all of it was beautifully maintained. I like how on #7 the pond is more an issue on your second shot if you are trying to get aggressive and really not anything if you are playing as a three shot hole. The greens were incredibly tough to read and I can't tell you how many lip outs or hard turns our ball took three inches before the cup. Also, the pins were nasty yesterday! The yardage book on so many holes said "don't want to putt from above the hole", and then the cup is five paces on, over a bunker! Add in the cool temps and the wind that seemed to always be in our face and it was tough!

I struggle to say it is worth what they charge, I think Poppy Hills is every bit the course that Spyglass is (minus the ocean holes), but I had an absolute blast playing with my friends. I think having seen the course and a little cleanup of my game I feel like I could get into the mid-low 80s (I used to be better at this game) and look forward to testing that theory in the future.

Thanks again all, it was a fun journey!
Thank you so much . Great shooting for such a tough layout. Glad you had a great time there

We played the Golds at 6,538 yards of uphill, into the wind good-ness.

The 2 back 9 par 3’s are a bit ground hog day but I still think #3 is a good hole, especially when the wind is in off the bay. I prefer it to #7 at Pebble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great read and glad you enjoyed it.

I’ve been out to Pebble twice, played Spanish Bay, PB and Spyglass, with Spyglass my clear favorite. Fantastic course.

Back