Srixon Z-Star Driver

Well played my first 9 with the new Z-Star 9° head (replacing the 10.5). Set shaft to Neutral and put 11g Rear and 7g Heel (all done to reduce launch and back spin numbers) While I don't have anyway to tell what the #s now are the results speak for themselves. Used on 7 holes and hit every fairway. Avg'd 235 total driving distance and even busted one 253 yards! Played using the old (not dual dimple) B330-RX that I used to play with. Ball flight was definitely lower and no ballooning effect. I saw only 1 fade and either had a nice middle line or a soft draw to the flight. I'm sure I'll be testing this config out some more!
Amazing what knowing what the numbers are can help change things to the better!

Glad it's working out for you so far. I've always found the Z-Star to be a great combination of distance and forgiveness.

If you want a lower flight with less backspin you actually want the 11g in the heel and the 7g in the back. (More weight in the back = higher flight/more backspin/less sidespin, more weight in the front is the opposite.)

Does anybody by chance have one of these clubs that would be interested in trading a R flex shaft for my S flex? Stock shaft for stock shaft, although the grip on mine is a blue/black NDMC.

Really looking forward to trying this driver and 5 wood. I got them on the way soon.

Really looking forward to trying this driver and 5 wood. I got them on the way soon.

I love the 5 wood. You're in for a treat.

I think you'll like both! I've never had a driver and 3 wood last this long in my bag. Over 1 year and no thought of changing

Well, just hit the 5 wood and driver for the first time. I got to say, while I don't really like the way the club adjusts, I'm really liking the feel/performance of these clubs.

I bought these clubs from a fellow THPer at a great price. They were both sent to me in the neutral position.
I went to the range to try and get used to them. I haven't played in 6 months because of my knee surgery.

At first I didn't like the 5 wood at all. But I tried it in a few different settings and ended up getting it dialed in.
I now have it set at L "whatever that means" and I am really liking the ball flight.

As for the driver, I actually had it set at Neutral with 7/7 grams for the weights and I hit it pretty good.
Occasional heavy fade so I set it to match the 5 wood at L setting and we will see what happens next time out.

I really like the clubs so far.

But a big complaint I have is that the cool app is only available on Iphones??? WTHeck???

Well, just hit the 5 wood and driver for the first time. I got to say, while I don't really like the way the club adjusts, I'm really liking the feel/performance of these clubs.

I bought these clubs from a fellow THPer at a great price. They were both sent to me in the neutral position.
I went to the range to try and get used to them. I haven't played in 6 months because of my knee surgery.

At first I didn't like the 5 wood at all. But I tried it in a few different settings and ended up getting it dialed in.
I now have it set at L "whatever that means" and I am really liking the ball flight.

As for the driver, I actually had it set at Neutral with 7/7 grams for the weights and I hit it pretty good.
Occasional heavy fade so I set it to match the 5 wood at L setting and we will see what happens next time out.

But a big complaint I have is that the cool app is only available on Iphones??? WTHeck???

That is because iPhones are the gold standard, bro.

Really though, the Z-Star driver is a great club. I just couldn't get over the sound at impact. It wreaked havoc on my head.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I actually made some major adjustments to mine the last couple of rounds. I've been taking some new lessons at a little shop by my office and my teacher has my swing more upright and less behind my body. As a result I needed to adjust the driver especially. Previously I had been good at Neutral with a 3g/11g weight setup. That started to hit it far too high and short and also right. So a little tweaking later and I've settled on NU (neutral upright) one click closed with 7g/7g weights. My last round I only missed 2 fairways and both of those were playable, and I blasted a couple of drives in the 270 range (my old "long" drives would go around 255-260 at most) and it was not a windy day or a dry course - one of those was even into a slightly uphill fairway. Needless to say I'm quite pleased and very happy to have an adjustable driver instead of needing to spend $400 on a new one as a result of the swing change.

L means correct your ball flight to the left or in a closed position promote more a draw. I've tried numerous settings over the past year and have found that 7/3 in N-OP1 to be the best for me in a windy condition, and 7/7 or 11/3 in N for a calm/sunny condition.

I actually made some major adjustments to mine the last couple of rounds. I've been taking some new lessons at a little shop by my office and my teacher has my swing more upright and less behind my body. As a result I needed to adjust the driver especially. Previously I had been good at Neutral with a 3g/11g weight setup. That started to hit it far too high and short and also right. So a little tweaking later and I've settled on NU (neutral upright) one click closed with 7g/7g weights. My last round I only missed 2 fairways and both of those were playable, and I blasted a couple of drives in the 270 range (my old "long" drives would go around 255-260 at most) and it was not a windy day or a dry course - one of those was even into a slightly uphill fairway. Needless to say I'm quite pleased and very happy to have an adjustable driver instead of needing to spend $400 on a new one as a result of the swing change.

I completely agree! It is not unusual for me to have couple 280 to 300 yards drives in a round. I've found the stock shaft to be a bit longer than I would like. I've them cut down to 44.75/45 in hopes to find more fairways. I also very fond of the Miyazaki kusala black shaft. I've been rotating 5 shafts, Dromo 61s, Dromo 73 x-stiff, Kusala Black 72s, C. Kua 59 s, and Devotion 6 S and love the flexibility of an adjustable driver and various shafts.

Anyone have a picture of the alignment settings for this driver? I don't see them on the Srixon website anymore. Thanks!

All - Made my first adjustment in about 9 months which is about 2 weeks after I got the driver. I normally play on neutral and weights 11 back/3 front which give me a nice high ball flight.

Today I adjusted it to 1* degree closed and 11 back/7 front...which lowered my drives slightly and on average gave me an extra 10 yards. I also noticed a few of my drives had nice draws. Overall, I'm going to stick to my current settings.

I love having an adjustable driver!

Need advice from fellow Srixon Z-star driver users

Need advice from fellow Srixon Z-star driver users

It seems like a lot of the peeps on here used the Z-star driver at some point, as there used to be a really active thread about it. I'm hoping you guys can give me a bit of advice. After making some swing changes to smooth out my swing, the stock dromos in stiff doesn't quite feel as nice as it used to. I'm looking to reshaft, the leading candidate right now being a VTS 65 silver in regular, since i absolutely love the VTS silver in my J40 hybrid. I'm hoping that some of you guys reshafted yours z-stars and can help me with a couple of questions...

1) Where did you get the adapter? There are a couple going on Ebay right now, one looks more legit than the other, but they are both being sold out of hong kong, which makes me just a bit wary.

2) Did you have to tip prep the shaft any differently to allow for the adapter? I know that with Callaway adapters, you don't do anything differently. For the Titleist adapter, you are supposed to tip and extra half inch. Something about the lengh of that adapter makes the shaft play a little soft for whatever reason. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3) Does anyone have a shaft pairing that worked particularly well? Obviously, everyone has a different swing, but i'm just curious to about what has worked well for others. I'm leaning towards one of the VTS shafts since they seem to work well in my hybrids, and also they are very reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'm not sure if any shaft length adjustments/results have been discussed in this thread, but I know there have been a couple of general threads around on the subject.

After really struggling with the driver for a while this season, I gave it an extended rest and was hitting my Mashie M1 pretty much exclusively off of the tee. That experiment has yielded pretty good results (for me, at least) - distance wise, I am certainly giving up some yardage as my average tee shot is probably in the 205-215 range (but I am not the longest driver/fairway wood player to begin with) but much straighter than my average shot with a driver. (Just as a point of reference, my average 7 iron is probably right around 150 yards. No pro to be sure.) I am starting to feel a little better in the tee box and wondering if maybe trying out a shorter driver shaft would help me out.

I am thinkining about taking maybe 1.25" off of the stock 45.5" length to put me in the 44.25". Has anyone tried this with any success? Would that change the flex of the shaft too much? What kind of launch changes should I expect? And how much of SW change would this be?

I've not cut down my shaft, but I do just choke down on it an inch-two inches sometimes and play a more controlled swing with it on tighter holes just to keep it in play and have had good success with that. I still have the full length on wide-open holes where I want to go after one. It's a very versatile club, our Z-Star.I lose a little yardage on those choke down drives, but not much, and keeping the ball in play is worth it.

I am thinkining about taking maybe 1.25" off of the stock 45.5" length to put me in the 44.25". Has anyone tried this with any success? Would that change the flex of the shaft too much? What kind of launch changes should I expect? And how much of SW change would this be?

I cut mine down to 44.5" and don't see a difference in distance, but I feel like I have better control & hit more fairways.

All - Anyone use the iPad app for this driver? I got an Ipad in December & just downloaded the app. The STAR fitting works like a champ...but when I click on WeatherFit I get an error saying to check my internet connection...but my internet is working good.

Anyone have this problem? If so, how did you fix it? I just tweeted Srixon to see if they can help.

Thanks!

Back