I was looking at these at the golf shop yesterday. If I was in the market for irons it would be one of these two.
The Srixon irons are fantastic and you will love them if you go that way.

sorry, I went completely the other way with Modus 120 S steel
I too went the other way. I have the Modus 105 S steel. I wanted to try some graphite shafts, but the ZX5's with these shafts are just so good for me. I'm still loving them coming up on a year later.

First two rounds in good weather of the year and the ZX5 MKiis have been great. I have hit a lot of quality iron shots including a really nice 5i that got a solid 185 out of it. I find them quite forgiving, they go through the turf really well and are very consistent.

Hey guys. Anyone playing the ZX5 with a lighter graphite shaft? Something in the 60-70g range?
one more data point. Range was closed today so to the chipping green I go. First time I'd focused on the ZX5 AW with the Dart 65 R flex in it for a chipping session. This was probably my biggest concern when spec'ing the clubs - feel shots around the green. I also brought my trusty Glide 3 Eye2 55* with Recoil Proto wedge shaft (which is a bit over 110g iirc). It frankly was no contest - I was consistently inside the Eye2 with the AW. Everything from short sided bumps to maybe 10-20 yards off the green. I do really like to feel like I can move the wedge around, and it seemed I always knew where the head was, going from putter-type strike to more flip/handsy. Totally exceeded my expectations but as always, YMMV.

There were one of two sets that got the most play from me last season, ad they did get the opening day nod earlier this week. They really do tick a lot of boxes. Yes the sole is a bit chunkier for a “players distance” iron. But the topline is in a great spot IMO, blade length is good, and the offset isn’t outlandish. Produce some solid speeds and I can launch them like crazy(naturally gifted I am). They are definitely one of my favorite sets from last year and I have zero doubt they hold up well to all the releases that we’ve seen recently.

One area I haven’t been so good in for the past…well decade…is hitting long irons. For me that starts at the 5 iron. So last night I did some work on that because part of me wants to hit a 5 iron again and remove a headcover from the bag. These are all a work in progress, but I to hit it some during random target practice, and then I decided to just set a green out at 185 yards. Some of these were beauties, obviously the first one was not.

IMG_0109.png

IMG_0110.jpeg

Here’s a couple of those individual swings

IMG_0105.png

IMG_0106.png

IMG_0107.png

IMG_0108.png

Now you're just showing off. Hitting the green at the rate is pretty killer for a 5 iron. I know they are different irons, but since they are covering close to similar yardages, do you think these are any more challenging to hit than the AI Smoke?

Now you're just showing off. Hitting the green at the rate is pretty killer for a 5 iron. I know they are different irons, but since they are covering close to similar yardages, do you think these are any more challenging to hit than the AI Smoke?
I really don’t. And if people hit them side by side indoors, I wouldn’t be shocked if AI Smoke wins more times than not because of the sole design. Probably eke out a few extra yards one some misses with Smoke, but these are pretty darn good.

I really don’t. And if people hit them side by side indoors, I wouldn’t be shocked if AI Smoke wins more times than not because of the sole design. Probably eke out a few extra yards one some misses with Smoke, but these are pretty darn good.
I don't regret going with the 4's, but I think I would have loved these too.

I don't regret going with the 4's, but I think I would have loved these too.
I think you would have, but the 4’s have worked well for you.

I too went the other way. I have the Modus 105 S steel. I wanted to try some graphite shafts, but the ZX5's with these shafts are just so good for me. I'm still loving them coming up on a year later.
These shafts right here were a perfect match for my old factory ping Zing Shafts

I have the original ZX5 in 6-AW although I have set the 6 iron aside for a 5 hybrid as the 5 hybrid gives me much higher trajectory for approaches to elevated greens. I got them shortly after they were introduced and they are holding up well. While I would check other offerings when it is time to switch, the ZX5 mkII would be the standard that others would be measured against.

I've found the SF's play pretty firm.
They were A flex. Between too light and too flexible they just didn’t get it done for me. I’m finding 95 gram, R flex, and Recoil bend profile is about right in my sweet spot.

Rounding out the run on my ZX5’s. They’ve been a good set of irons and I had great directional consistency but lacked the height and spin I need to hold greens consistently which is what I’m trying to dial in this year. Overall they look great and feel good. As far as shape and forgiveness they did a great job for me the last year.

Played 9 today in 20 MPH wind. The purity of contact and results made them very predictable. Even with the spin and high flight that I love I was able to judge the crosswinds and just adjust my aim and play it because these deliver consistent results. I also am addicted to the sound they make when striking a Pro V1X. So solid and powerful.

sorry, I went completely the other way with Modus 120 S steel
I did the same. Really like the consistency they give. Lighter shafts cause more dispersion for my swing.

That is some awesome work there. The most satisfying shot in golf to me is a flushed 5-iron. It’s just intoxicating.

But I never could get the consistency with my 5 that I had with my 6. I bought got a ZX4 5-iron bent a degree weak and hit it worst than the ZX5.

I finally broke down and got a Cleveland XL halo 5h. But it still take the 5-iron to the range hoping to master it and get it back in the bag.

After taking my first lesson at age 55 after already playing for 40 yrs off and on, my PGA pro said for the average weekend golfer he would not suggest using any iron above a 6 iron. Most will have better consistency and more improvement utilizing a hybrid. According to him the 3-5 irons are the most difficult to hit pure. I have found this to be one of the best pieces of advice I have received.

Went to Sim yesterday w/ @Scribble . Was nuking my ZX4's pretty good. I know it's sim golf so definitely taken w/ grain of salt but was happiest about being able to consistently square these irons right up. Said to Steve that I can't see myself wanting to change them for a long time.

Went to Sim yesterday w/ @Scribble . Was nuking my ZX4's pretty good. I know it's sim golf so definitely taken w/ grain of salt but was happiest about being able to consistently square these irons right up. Said to Steve that I can't see myself wanting to change them for a long time.
a few carried 20+ yds past the green. 🚀
You were definetly hitting the ball well with it being winter.

After taking my first lesson at age 55 after already playing for 40 yrs off and on, my PGA pro said for the average weekend golfer he would not suggest using any iron above a 6 iron. Most will have better consistency and more improvement utilizing a hybrid. According to him the 3-5 irons are the most difficult to hit pure. I have found this to be one of the best pieces of advice I have received.
Maybe, but not as fun. If I were looking at just improving my Score I'd remove my U85s... but. I'm back in the game to have fun now and hitting my U85 3-6 is just too much fun.
Personal opinions may apply. 😀

Even though I’m not upset I didn’t go with the ZX5 MKii’s, I cannot believe these don’t get more spotlight in the golf world. I think these outperform the P790s with ease. It was really hard not choosing them during my fitting because they offered a really good mix of distance, forgiveness and workability. The distances were also very consistent and there were no issues with stopping power. Wasn’t able to hit them outside but the Gen 1 went through turf like a hot knife through butter.

If you’re someone who is looking for distance and forgiveness without wanting to playing a more tradition GI iron, you need to give the ZX5s a try

Back