I worked with Danny at UST for my recent reshaft. F3 DART 90 in the irons/GW and F4 DART 105 in the 54/58. The interesting part though is that he recommended 8 iron shafts for the wedges, making them play a bit softer.
I got the F3 DART 65 in the irons so I went with the DART 90 54* but he had to order the 58*.

Teeing off at 12:53 so looking forward towards putting them all into play.

Allegedly a lot of Pros use softer wedge flex and stiffer irons so maybe that's where the 8 iron suggestion came about. Maybe something to do with spin. 🤷‍♂️IMG_1727.jpeg

Using a shaft designed for a longer club, e.g. an 8-iron shaft in a wedge is referred to as soft stepping. Depending on who you ask, soft stepping by one club (8 iron shaft in a 9 iron) will soften the flex by approximately 1/4 to 1/3 flex.

For Recoils, the 8 iron shaft is two steps from the wedge shaft. So when installed in a wedge, the 8 iron shaft will play 1/2 to 2/3 flex softer. It will also likely produce a bit higher ball flight and increased spin compared to the wedge shaft.

So Danny is probably thinking to have these wedges play slightly firmer, while benefitting from the heavier weight. It could also be a recommendation based on the fact that the 105 gram Recoils aren’t available in F3 flex!

Using a shaft designed for a longer club, e.g. an 8-iron shaft in a wedge is referred to as soft stepping. Depending on who you ask, soft stepping by one club (8 iron shaft in a 9 iron) will soften the flex by approximately 1/4 to 1/3 flex.

For Recoils, the 8 iron shaft is two steps from the wedge shaft. So when installed in a wedge, the 8 iron shaft will play 1/2 to 2/3 flex softer. It will also likely produce a bit higher ball flight and increased spin compared to the wedge shaft.

So Danny is probably thinking to have these wedges play slightly firmer, while benefitting from the heavier weight. It could also be a recommendation based on the fact that the 105 gram Recoils aren’t available in F3 flex!
This is great info and very appreciated.

It gets even better they had a pre demo today and I got a mint set with perfect launch, spin, apex, decent angle, lie and length. They were stupid long with crazy tight dispersion.

I was able to hit off the grass and you weren't kidding they cut through the turf like hot butter.

$799 with the DART F3 shaft, they gave me $475 my Stealths.

Of course my OCD now has my eye on the CBX 4 wedges. 🤣

Can't wait till play tomorrow and stretch them out.

I'm STOKED!
thats the exact combo i ordered. my first venture into graphite so a bit nervous compared to my tour lite r steel shaft. Please keep us updated on your progress i am really interested

Went ahead and placed an order this morning (the combo set is a great idea):

ZX4 6-iron, 1º weak
ZX5 7/8-irons, standard loft
ZX7 9-AW, 1º strong
+2-inches
2º upright
KBS Max 55 gram
GP CP2 Wrap standard
Great setup! Hope they work out great for you.

Has anyone been unhappy with the ZX5 mkII after upgrading from the original ZX5? I am playing the original ZX5 and am thinking ahead to when I am ready to get new. Driver replacement is a higher priority.

That’s my dream event. Full stop.
Mine would be the Srixon Event if it were closer. That long flight would kill my Back

Mine would be the Srixon Event if it were closer. That long flight would kill my Back
Not sure if/when we are doing one this year, but we often switch up locations. Keep an eye open!

Has anyone been unhappy with the ZX5 mkII after upgrading from the original ZX5? I am playing the original ZX5 and am thinking ahead to when I am ready to get new. Driver replacement is a higher priority.
I didn't have the previous version of the ZX5's before getting the mkii's, so I can't help you there. But I do know that the mkii version is simply great. You wouldn't be disappointed to upgrade. However, if you're looking into a new driver first, and you're hitting the older version of the ZX5's good, I can totally understand the priority to go driver first.

Not sure if/when we are doing one this year, but we often switch up locations. Keep an eye open!
Oh baby, let it be near Richmond. I've got a hankering to try Z Blades, I don't care how bad they are for me. Like my Buddies saying "Craig, you really need to stay away from her, She's bad news". Oh heck yes!

thats the exact combo i ordered. my first venture into graphite so a bit nervous compared to my tour lite r steel shaft. Please keep us updated on your progress i am really interested
I have 2 rounds with them now and also just came from the KBS Tour Lite steel. The lighter shaft is an adjustment as that's to be expected but it will be well worth it. They have such a sweet feel to them, the V soles work as advertised, thin shots go straight, and don't lose much ball speed, the dispersion is crazy tight and the distance is on par with my Stealth irons.

The trajectory is mid-high and has been holding greens just fine even with the long irons which was a concern. Coming from the KBS you may notice that the balance point is much different, not so much weight in the butt section which was my knock on the KBS.

Did I mention how great they feel? :ROFLMAO:

Playing a course tomorrow I've never played so it should be interesting but the irons are without a doubt keepers.

I have 2 rounds with them now and also just came from the KBS Tour Lite steel. The lighter shaft is an adjustment as that's to be expected but it will be well worth it. They have such a sweet feel to them, the V soles work as advertised, thin shots go straight, and don't lose much ball speed, the dispersion is crazy tight and the distance is on par with my Stealth irons.

The trajectory is mid-high and has been holding greens just fine even with the long irons which was a concern. Coming from the KBS you may notice that the balance point is much different, not so much weight in the butt section which was my knock on the KBS.

Playing a course tomorrow I've never played so it should be interesting but the irons are without a doubt keepers.
Welcome to the club 🤝

I actually miss that feeling from the KBS Tour Lites. My body likes everything else about the move to the Dart V though.

You'll love these clubs. They are so good.

So thankful for the Srixon experience last year as I probably never would have given these irons a look.

As I keep playing them, I think I got a little internet golfer with the combo set i went with. I'm thinking a little too much around the crossover and the gap can be tricky. For what they are the visual change from the ZX7 to ZX4 is incredibly smooth. If i had unlimited funds I would think of adding a zx7 8i one degree strong, or possibly just switching to a full set of ZX5s.

The ZX7s are incredibly forgiving for a shotmaker's iron. sacrificing very little in the way of control.
The ZX4s are just the best looking GI iron out there. It's kind of unfair to even label it a GI iron. I kind of forget how big the sole is on them at times and probably try to do too much. They just want to go high and straight and are very good at that.

So thankful for the Srixon experience last year as I probably never would have given these irons a look.
I'd never considered Srixon before (though I do have CBX2 wedges), and was in the PGASS doing a little putting and after just wandered around the store. I came upon these irons and was like, woah, these look really nice. I did some research...this is a great thread by the way...and went ahead and ordered a combo set. I'd exchanged a number of emails with Srixon and they were very responsive. Turn around is pretty quick too. I ordered them on 3/14 and will receive them 3/26. In addition, the PGASS has a 90 day playability guarantee.

The 5s are nice. I noticed Pros playing the 7s are now putting the 5s in Long Iron spot. Smart move.

After reading the majority of this thread, it was enough to convince me to schedule for a fitting this coming week for the MKII ZX4s. Taking a look at my current wedge setup I did have a gapping question. Right now I have an "A" set wedge at 46, and then 50, 56, 60 specialty wedges. The ZX4 "A" wedge is 49, which is just below my current 50 wedge. I'm thinking of replacing (or bending) the 50 to a 52, and then looking between a CBX4 48, or getting the ZX4 "A" wedge bent strong from 49 to 48.

What are others thoughts on this? I've read lots of folks on here are loving the ZX4 "A" wedge, but I also see lots of use of the CBX wedges in that slot as well.

Last edited:
After reading the majority of this thread, it was enough to convince me to schedule for a fitting this coming week for the MKII ZX4s. Taking a look at my current wedge setup I did have a gapping question. Right now I have an "A" set wedge at 46, and then 50, 56, 60 specialty wedges. The ZX4 "A" wedge is 49, which is just below my current 50 wedge. I'm thinking of replacing (or bending) the 50 to a 52, and then looking between a CBX4 48, or getting the ZX4 "A" wedge bent weak from 49 to 48.

What are others thoughts on this? I've read lots of folks on here are loving the ZX4 "A" wedge, but I also see lots of use of the CBX wedges in that slot as well.
Zx4 AW is amazing. I use it all the time for partial swings. Cant go wrong with that or something like a cbx4 in that slot. I don’t think there’s a need to bend it if you’re going with the set AW.

After reading the majority of this thread, it was enough to convince me to schedule for a fitting this coming week for the MKII ZX4s. Taking a look at my current wedge setup I did have a gapping question. Right now I have an "A" set wedge at 46, and then 50, 56, 60 specialty wedges. The ZX4 "A" wedge is 49, which is just below my current 50 wedge. I'm thinking of replacing (or bending) the 50 to a 52, and then looking between a CBX4 48, or getting the ZX4 "A" wedge bent weak from 49 to 48.

The distance can sometimes not match the loft with these techy wedges, set or not. I would hit them if at all possible before bending and trying to fill gaps that might not be there.

Don't have 4s but like how my A Wedge fits in with full Swing shots. I can do half Swings but do not care for the V Sole for Chips and Pitches. I have a 54 for full and Short Game, and a 60 for Close-up.
ZX5s here.

When I traded in my original set of Zx5 so I could get a set with Recoils, I didn’t order the AW because I had started using a 49* Edison 2.0 wedge in that slot. Just as good on full swings and even better on short shots around the green. From there I have Edison 54 and 59.

I think you’ll probably want to bend your 50 to 52, then see what your yardage gaps look like. If necessary you could definitely turn the ZX4 AW down to 48 or whatever you need.

After reading the majority of this thread, it was enough to convince me to schedule for a fitting this coming week for the MKII ZX4s. Taking a look at my current wedge setup I did have a gapping question. Right now I have an "A" set wedge at 46, and then 50, 56, 60 specialty wedges. The ZX4 "A" wedge is 49, which is just below my current 50 wedge. I'm thinking of replacing (or bending) the 50 to a 52, and then looking between a CBX4 48, or getting the ZX4 "A" wedge bent strong from 49 to 48.

I have the ZX5 AW (50), then 56 and 60 above that. It really depends on how you use the clubs. Were I to swap to a ZX4 AW, I'd likely go 54-60 (am pondering that). But I'm fine with partial swings on the AW, and typically would rather hit a partial AW than a full SW. But that's my issue of over swinging a full SW shot.

When you do your fitting, bring your 50 and 56 and hit those to see gapping - though if you're on mats you may have to take it with a grain of salt depending on your swing.

I recently ordered a combo set, which includes the ZX4, ZX5, and ZX7. I had them bent to the lofts I prefer so I have no gapping issues.

I recently ordered a combo set, which includes the ZX4, ZX5, and ZX7. I had them bent to the lofts I prefer so I have no gapping issues.

You should have gotten the PW in the Z-forged blade just to be more inclusive!

Back