I’m being totally serious when I say my only real complaint is that they feel so different off a matt at the range than the way they interact with turf.
Its so true.

Had these in the bag today for a scramble and hit them pretty well. Did take home a CTP.

@o’carroll played out of my bag all day. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t placed an order yet.

Just built a combo set on the Srixon website for about the 10th time. Thinking 5 and 6 in ZX4 and 7 - PW or AW (if they ever get back in stock) in ZX5 and a 4 hybrid. In regards to shafts, I think the Recoil Dart 75 in stiff soft stepped (mainly due to not wanting to drop into the 60 gram weight class yet to get regular flex) and Recoil ES 75 Hybrid in regular flex.

Now just need to move some stuff to make this a reality.

I’ve always played the middle offerings from Srixon but I just made the switch from ZX5 to ZX4’s and couldn’t be happier. Went down on shaft weight from SteelFiber 95 to the KBS Max 75‘s. Seems to fit my swing better since SS with 7 iron is now down to 70-75 MPH.

I’ve always played the middle offerings from Srixon but I just made the switch from ZX5 to ZX4’s and couldn’t be happier. Went down on shaft weight from SteelFiber 95 to the KBS Max 75‘s. Seems to fit my swing better since SS with 7 iron is now down to 70-75 MPH.
Lots of happy ZX4 customers. They seem to be hitting the same sweet spot in the market as the Hot Metal HLs that give distance back as guys lose a little swing speed. I think they may be a good fit for a good friend who has lost distance with his Zx5s the last year or two.

Lots of happy ZX4 customers. They seem to be hitting the same sweet spot in the market as the Hot Metal HLs that give distance back as guys lose a little swing speed. I think they may be a good fit for a good friend who has lost distance with his Zx5s the last year or two.
🙋‍♂️ they r just so good

I absolutely love the workability of the zx7. Currently on home 4. On 1 I had 158 blocked by a tree. Had to hit a big slinging cut 7i but stay below the first branch. Cut it more than expected, pin high right of the green.
Hole 4 206 to flag, wind off my left, needed to hit a big high hook to get out behind the tree. 6i to just short and right of the greeen with exactly the shape I wanted. Love these things!
I love Working the Ball like that. Not to mention your playing partners thinking your Stymead and you pull off a shot like that.👍

It flows pretty well. I've been using the ZX7 AW with the blades. I built it like that in a set for a friend with the last version of everything and it worked out brilliantly. Kind of became our thing. As someone who really only uses the AW as a full swing club, the continuity of it with the soles and shape and everything is great.
Same here with the AW, maybe it's the Sole but I do not do well with partial. I'll stick with the Glides for partials

The utilities are so much fun. Put a soft, high launch shaft into the 2u for fun this weekend. It had plenty of forgiveness for my silliness. A pure strike is so dang pleasing.
Too true about UT Irons. Love hitting my 4 and out driving co-players with their Driver. Them thinking the longer Ball is theirs until they look at it and have to back track. 😀

I've been a bit stuck on what to say about the ZX4 lately. Some of that is probably because my iron approach shots are probably the weakest part of my game and I'm still looking for a little magic that golf clubs don't really possess. I'm going to gut through it a bit though.

From a looks standpoint, I'd challenge anybody to find a better iron in this class. I do think there are a couple that could compete (Mizuno HM series, for example), but these are easily in a top three in my mind. I still think there's going to be a big disconnect for people that haven't seen the ZX4 in person. My perception, and I assume this is common, was that they are more in the SGI/Oversized segment and that's just not the case. Yes, they have a bit wider sole than some, and the blade length is the longest of the three core Srixon irons, but 1) you can't see the sole at address and 2) they don't appear much larger (I'm talking millimeters) than the old Z545's I have. I'd characterize these more as an iron that will make people that need more forgiveness feel like they have a sleek iron. Is there such a thing as Players Forgiveness irons? Maybe there is now.

I tried to take some garage video of the feel, because I've been so enamored by it lately, especially with slightly firmer Tour balls. I'm going to lump the Z Star in there, btw. It's soft in terms of Srixon, but not what I'd call a part of the "soft" world. Anyway, the sound doesn't translate on an iphone camera, but you know that nice crack you hear when you watch the TXG guys hitting balls on Youtube? That's what I hear when I hit balls with these. Sure, the ball speeds aren't comparable from me to them, but it's all perception. I feel like I'm hitting it that hard. It's not the higher pitched and thin sound that some hollow irons I've hit have. It's just solid and powerful sounding.

As far as performance, I guess I'm building a little more clarity about what it means to be a mid-high handicap with an iron my hand. I've been reading a book that has a lot of data on approach shots for amateurs (much of it supplied by Shot Scope) and the reality is that nailing a bunch of perfect shots really isn't going to be reality for me. GIR's with long putts, barely missed greens, and then the occasional pleasant surprise near the pin are the types of shots I should be looking for. If I go by that metric, I'm seeing some great performance, and it's translating into solid scores. I haven't really posted scores of many of my rounds this year, because frankly I feel like they are artificially low (imposter syndrome), but the truth is I'm not making many mistakes and it's really limited the number of doubles I'm putting on the card. These irons have been a big part of that.

Here are a few examples from Saturday of sub-optimal shots that were actually just the kinds of shots I should be thankful for:

Hole 1 - Pulled a PW and ended up hole high, 5 yards left greenside rough. Chipped on and made a lucky 8 footer for par.
Hole 3 - Forced carry over water from the fairway with an 8 iron. A bit heavy (sole helped me here), but made the front edge and had a very long putt over a ridge. I three putted for bogey.
Hole 9 - 7 iron, toe side and stubbed the toe in the turf a little. Greenside rough, even with the front edge. Bogey.
Hole 11 - Go-zone from 118 into the wind. Spun up a PW and ended up with a 30 foot putt. Par.
Hole 18 - 9 iron from the fairway - left the face open and my draw didn't draw. Floated to close-mowed area fronting the green. Chip and a 2 putt par.

All very mediocre on the internet, but all very much the type of results I should be looking for. Mixing pars and bogeys, limiting doubles or more, and then the occasional birdie if the starts align.

Sadly all I can say about the Zx7 irons right now is that I sure do love looking at them as I watch the rain poor down outside daily for like the last 2 weeks except when it's time for football practice and I want it to rain, but it magically stops. I keep telling our coach that he's out praying us all.

After my 3rd 9 in the last 4 days I am seeing pretty consistently that my ZX5’s are playing like I hoped they would. They are about 1/2 a club short of my old LTDx which is fine. What I have traded for is a higher and straiter ball flight. These do not want to turn much either direction. I love the way these feel off the turf. The V-Sole is almost a cheater on the hard firm ground we have right now. These have a very snappy crisp feel on well struck shots also.

I also got some play with the ZX4 6 iron the last 2 days. It’s a bit lower flying but slots in under my Apex Pro 5H perfectly. I got stuck in the rough today on a long par 4 and had to lay up due to some water. Hit a perfect shot with this one. Mid flight and strait with a little bounce and roll out. I think these feel a little less snappy than the ZX5’s. Maybe the ball feels a tad heavier on the face with the ZX4. Will need some more swings to really get a feel for the diffference.

Match Play starts this week, I am playing the Zx5's and seem to hitting them well. The ball just leaps off the face and that nice little draw looks so good coming off of them, I was amazed when i got them

After my 3rd 9 in the last 4 days I am seeing pretty consistently that my ZX5’s are playing like I hoped they would. They are about 1/2 a club short of my old LTDx which is fine. What I have traded for is a higher and straiter ball flight. These do not want to turn much either direction. I love the way these feel off the turf. The V-Sole is almost a cheater on the hard firm ground we have right now. These have a very snappy crisp feel on well struck shots also.

I also got some play with the ZX4 6 iron the last 2 days. It’s a bit lower flying but slots in under my Apex Pro 5H perfectly. I got stuck in the rough today on a long par 4 and had to lay up due to some water. Hit a perfect shot with this one. Mid flight and strait with a little bounce and roll out. I think these feel a little less snappy than the ZX5’s. Maybe the ball feels a tad heavier on the face with the ZX4. Will need some more swings to really get a feel for the diffference.
Vsole is so good! Just slides right thru rough or turf.

Vsole is so good! Just slides right thru rough or turf.

I definitely find when I feel like I have hit a ball a bit heavy with the Srixons I get most of the distance out of them as the v-sole slides through the ground so easily. I snuck out for 11 holes tonight and I had 153 with a hard cross which can tend to knock the ball down. I hit a 7i that I thought was a touch heavy but it had a nice draw and held it’s line to about 5 yards past the flag which is a totally solid 7i for me.

I've been a bit stuck on what to say about the ZX4 lately. Some of that is probably because my iron approach shots are probably the weakest part of my game and I'm still looking for a little magic that golf clubs don't really possess. I'm going to gut through it a bit though.

From a looks standpoint, I'd challenge anybody to find a better iron in this class. I do think there are a couple that could compete (Mizuno HM series, for example), but these are easily in a top three in my mind. I still think there's going to be a big disconnect for people that haven't seen the ZX4 in person. My perception, and I assume this is common, was that they are more in the SGI/Oversized segment and that's just not the case. Yes, they have a bit wider sole than some, and the blade length is the longest of the three core Srixon irons, but 1) you can't see the sole at address and 2) they don't appear much larger (I'm talking millimeters) than the old Z545's I have. I'd characterize these more as an iron that will make people that need more forgiveness feel like they have a sleek iron. Is there such a thing as Players Forgiveness irons? Maybe there is now.

I tried to take some garage video of the feel, because I've been so enamored by it lately, especially with slightly firmer Tour balls. I'm going to lump the Z Star in there, btw. It's soft in terms of Srixon, but not what I'd call a part of the "soft" world. Anyway, the sound doesn't translate on an iphone camera, but you know that nice crack you hear when you watch the TXG guys hitting balls on Youtube? That's what I hear when I hit balls with these. Sure, the ball speeds aren't comparable from me to them, but it's all perception. I feel like I'm hitting it that hard. It's not the higher pitched and thin sound that some hollow irons I've hit have. It's just solid and powerful sounding.

As far as performance, I guess I'm building a little more clarity about what it means to be a mid-high handicap with an iron my hand. I've been reading a book that has a lot of data on approach shots for amateurs (much of it supplied by Shot Scope) and the reality is that nailing a bunch of perfect shots really isn't going to be reality for me. GIR's with long putts, barely missed greens, and then the occasional pleasant surprise near the pin are the types of shots I should be looking for. If I go by that metric, I'm seeing some great performance, and it's translating into solid scores. I haven't really posted scores of many of my rounds this year, because frankly I feel like they are artificially low (imposter syndrome), but the truth is I'm not making many mistakes and it's really limited the number of doubles I'm putting on the card. These irons have been a big part of that.

Here are a few examples from Saturday of sub-optimal shots that were actually just the kinds of shots I should be thankful for:

Hole 1 - Pulled a PW and ended up hole high, 5 yards left greenside rough. Chipped on and made a lucky 8 footer for par.
Hole 3 - Forced carry over water from the fairway with an 8 iron. A bit heavy (sole helped me here), but made the front edge and had a very long putt over a ridge. I three putted for bogey.
Hole 9 - 7 iron, toe side and stubbed the toe in the turf a little. Greenside rough, even with the front edge. Bogey.
Hole 11 - Go-zone from 118 into the wind. Spun up a PW and ended up with a 30 foot putt. Par.
Hole 18 - 9 iron from the fairway - left the face open and my draw didn't draw. Floated to close-mowed area fronting the green. Chip and a 2 putt par.

All very mediocre on the internet, but all very much the type of results I should be looking for. Mixing pars and bogeys, limiting doubles or more, and then the occasional birdie if the starts align.
This is really well written @Hawk. Great thoughts on these.

This is really well written @Hawk. Great thoughts on these.
Agree w/ @ryang13 .. very well written.
As a higher cap I feel like you were speaking for me too @Hawk

I was doing some Morgan Cup prep work today after the round. Took another 9 working on different distances, position, basically playing a lot more safe. And man, the ZX7 4 iron off the tee just makes that really fun. Just a great feeling easy to hit club. I need to run down to Texas to visit my wife's family I think. I have to hit 4i off the tee a ton there.

Oh and I had a master 4i rescue from a tough spot. Had to sling it and it went amazingly well picking and turning it from that spot.

Last edited:
My ZX set is arriving in two days. ZX4 4-7, ZX5 8-PW. Modus 120 gram stiff shafts. Cant wait to hit them. Guess I can sell the Ping G's now.

Hit 40% of the greens listed and had a chance to get up and in on the others. Pretty big win imo!

Any idea when the gap wedge will be back in stock? I’m interested in getting fit for ZX5s from 5 or 6 through GW as I’m giving my son my current irons but I need a gap wedge as I use that a lot for bump and run chips

My ZX set is arriving in two days. ZX4 4-7, ZX5 8-PW. Modus 120 gram stiff shafts. Cant wait to hit them. Guess I can sell the Ping G's now.
I came from Zings which are much older than your Gs. You will find the the strike is so much softer feeling than the Pings. Don't get me wrong, my old Zings are still forgiving but the turf interaction and buttery (sorry Mizuno) soft feel is the Cats Meow.

Looking at my data from the first few rounds with the srixons the data is telling the same story that I am feeling as I play with the ZX4s. The forgiveness is absolutely helping eliminate misses. My front to back diversion is much smaller. Obviously no club is eliminating all misses. But I have seen a huge drecrease in my short misses. I am still seeing 80% of my expected distance on occasional shots. But versus maybe 50% potentially on a really bad shot with my old irons this is a huge improvement.

Directionally I actually have never had a slice or hook with the irons. I just push or pull the ball. But it was a two way miss. So far the push miss has not shown up yet.

Little bit easier to manage my game as a 20hc if I only have a miss to one side and can trust my distance a bit better.

Question for those playing the ZX4's and ZX5's. How is the workability for you?

I've never been one to work the ball on every shot. I'm happy with the ball going straight. But occasionally I'll try to draw or cut a ball slightly around something.

My last time playing i tried to draw a 6 iron around a tree back into the fairway. It worked out and actually did it. It didn't draw as much as I thought it would, but it did show me I can work these when needed. Has anyone had a chance to throw some English on these?

Back