Maybe an incentive for the other twin to get into golf.

When I got selected for the experience my son took my previous gen ZX5s and replaced his TM 790s. He likes the distance control better and finds them more accurate but some of that could be shaft.
How can I politely put this...
When they handed out Sports cards, Alex never got in line. But he is the sweetest Kid, he once stopped in the middle of Soccer play to wave at the Parents.

I think my 6i loft is incorrect. I need to go get it checked. It's the only iron that I have flown my target multiple times. Setup yesterday in the fairway for a 174 approach to the flag in the middle of the green. Flew over the flag by at least 20 yards. This could be a perfect contact situation, but this will be the 5th time it's happened with that 6i.

I think my 6i loft is incorrect. I need to go get it checked. It's the only iron that I have flown my target multiple times. Setup yesterday in the fairway for a 174 approach to the flag in the middle of the green. Flew over the flag by at least 20 yards. This could be a perfect contact situation, but this will be the 5th time it's happened with that 6i.

I had all my lofts and lies checked and they were pretty close. I always recommend getting them checked. If you hit off of mats forged irons can get bent out of shape also. I try to get mine checked once a year.

I had a really good weekend with the irons. I have settled in with the new shafts and they are a good fit for me. For me the ZX5 5i is a much better fit than the ZX4 5i I hit it much more consistently well. I hit a few really good shots with it including some knockdowns and regular shots. I really like the blend to the ZX7s in the AW and PW.

I agree with you. Only 6i flying over yardage by 20 yrds, that's a lot.

I got my first real test of what thick rough looks like and how these clubs will handle them yesterday at Harding Park. Overall they performed as expected. I definitely had to club up about 1-2 clubs with the conditions. Overall the V-Soles did what they should do and helped me get the club through the grass and make good contact with the ball. I used the Aw quite a bit. I hit pretty much every shot I had from the rough 65 to 100 with it. Club really performed as I expected.

Is the 5i working ok? Or is the 6i your last iron?

I had all my lofts and lies checked and they were pretty close. I always recommend getting them checked. If you hit off of mats forged irons can get bent out of shape also. I try to get mine checked once a year.

I had a really good weekend with the irons. I have settled in with the new shafts and they are a good fit for me. For me the ZX5 5i is a much better fit than the ZX4 5i I hit it much more consistently well. I hit a few really good shots with it including some knockdowns and regular shots. I really like the blend to the ZX7s in the AW and PW.

Definitely true about mats and forged clubs. So much so that I never practice off mats. The only time I've ever hit my irons off mats is a single iron to took to warm up for my driver fitting.

I'm not having any loft issues with my ZX5's. They seem good to me and I haven't had a reason to get them checked. They are consistent, loooong, and feel great to me.

Anyone playing ZX5s in stock Recoil F4s?

Got to get a couple of swings in with the ZX7 MKII today. I want to hit these off grass, as I have a feeling mats don’t quite do these justice. We had to use the 2* flat fitting head to find a bit less left for me, but these feel absolutely powerful. Really interesting and potentially attractive combination of a thinner sole and moderately thick top line - like player-ey on the bottom and confidence inspiring up top.

Got to get a couple of swings in with the ZX7 MKII today. I want to hit these off grass, as I have a feeling mats don’t quite do these justice. We had to use the 2* flat fitting head to find a bit less left for me, but these feel absolutely powerful. Really interesting and potentially attractive combination of a thinner sole and moderately thick top line - like player-ey on the bottom and confidence inspiring up top.
Mats definitely do not do the vsole justice. Grass makes a pretty big difference.

Definitely true about mats and forged clubs. So much so that I never practice off mats. The only time I've ever hit my irons off mats is a single iron to took to warm up for my driver fitting.

I wind up hitting off mats a lot because the closest range to me is mats only and I hit indoors during the winter. The only other option it not hit balls.

Anyone playing ZX5s in stock Recoil F4s?

I had the Dart 75 F4s in my ZX5s originally. They were really good when I put the right swing on them. I found the 75g shafts a little light for me and I tended to come over the top with them. It was a me issue not a shaft issue. I found the shaft plenty stable and it didn’t curve left I just started too quick from the top. I replaced them with standard Recoil 95s and I think I have found a home.

My Srixon’s are dialed in now. At first I thought I bought to light of shafts with my KBS 75 Max and always missing left. But after small adjustment I feel like I can’t miss right now. One of my buddies gave me a tip and it’s changed my iron game. Since I have a tendency to hit the ball heavy. He told me to just focus in front of the ball and every strike was solid there after. Shot my second round in a row in 70’s, something I’ve never done in my entire life :)

I wind up hitting off mats a lot because the closest range to me is mats only and I hit indoors during the winter. The only other option it not hit balls.

I totally get it. I'm fortunate to live in an area of the country that can have grass ranges year round. Though more and more courses/ranges are starting to install mats and use them on certain days.

Two of my favorite ranges closed the last few years. One was an absolute gem. Privately owned. It had about 25 hitting stations and pristine grass. It was never overly crowded. I had a range passs at my home course and still paid him to practice there. He got a huge offer for the land and used it to fund his retirement. Haney sold his location 15 minutes away that had great turf as well.

The combination of fewer ranges and the golf boom has put a lot of wear and tear on the ranges. (This place has moved to mats only on Tuesday) The main place I got to now has about 50 stations. It opens at a 8:00 on Saturday and just about every station is full before 9:00. I went one after work last week in the 103* heat and it was still packed.

I'm in the same boat. Only grass range is pretty crappy and might as well be a dirt lot a lot of time.

I had the Dart 75 F4s in my ZX5s originally. They were really good when I put the right swing on them. I found the 75g shafts a little light for me and I tended to come over the top with them. It was a me issue not a shaft issue. I found the shaft plenty stable and it didn’t curve left I just started too quick from the top. I replaced them with standard Recoil 95s and I think I have found a home.
I have the 95s in the 3-5 U85s and love them. Just thinking for future.

I ordered my ZX5 set with graphite shafts. After one round of golf and one range session, I'm not sure I'll ever go back to steel.

Which shafts did you end up with?

Went out last night. Just a little 7 iron from 155. Man I love these things.

IMG_1013.jpeg

Best shot of the round was an 8i to about 3.5 feet. Closest I have ever come to a hole in 1. Right at the flag. the course was at a stand still and we had 2 groups on the next tee and I got a nice round of applause.

I may or may not have lipped out the birdie attempt.
IMG_7610.jpeg

Stil the best irons I've ever owned. The HC has been tumbling the last couple of months and the strength of my game has been iron play. I'm hitting way more greens than I have any business doing at my level. I hit two 6 irons to five feet today. I feel as comfortable hitting that club as a pitching wedge.

Back