Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Just snagged a ZX utility 4 iron to go with my ZX5s, excited to add that one to the bag
I have the prior U85s, heard the ZX are even better. That's hard to believe being as the U85s work so well.

Ahhh my bad. I saw someone post about Apex 21's and for some reason I thought it was you.

They're great irons I'm sure but nope!

Strangely I've never played a Callaway iron, although I've been close several times. Callaway has had a monopoly over my fairways for some time though (although that will change in September).

And I wish I’d stayed with the 7s instead of switching to the 5s. Haha … We’re all crazy on this bus. ;)
I may need to try both out this time around and see what plays out. I know last year playing the ZX7's I had my highest GIR % ever. Sometimes chasing that extra distance can be a hinderance.

I may need to try both out this time around and see what plays out. I know last year playing the ZX7's I had my highest GIR % ever. Sometimes chasing that extra distance can be a hinderance.
That’s exactly why I wish I’d stayed with the ZX7s. For whatever reason, my GIRs were appreciably higher with the 7s than with the 5s. 🤷‍♂️

That’s exactly why I wish I’d stayed with the ZX7s. For whatever reason, my GIRs were appreciably higher with the 7s than with the 5s. 🤷‍♂️
That is awesome!!!!
I may have a line on some ZX7 heads so see what happens.

It is interesting to see how different people classify the ZX5 irons. Some say game improvement, some say mid handicapper, some say players distance. I know a lot of the categories are marketing attempts to reach certain groups of golfers. The ZX5's are quite versatile in that respect. I'm a 5.8 index and they perfectly meet my needs.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on some irons before the end of this year and leaning ZX5's or Apex 19/21s at the moment. Anyone played all those?

Went to the range this morning with our Marine. He hasn't swung a club for a long time and just like his mother, he was hitting my ZX7's like he has been playing all summer:banghead:

He was hitting them so well, I set up a tee time at the exec 9 there for tomorrow morning!

These 7's obviously have more forgiveness than people think! Great irons!

The ZX5s aren't the largest head in the tool box. But the grooves are longer or wider than my Ping Z1656609498096108004594300035974.jpg16566095223698685154738711744421.jpgings

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on some irons before the end of this year and leaning ZX5's or Apex 19/21s at the moment. Anyone played all those?
I compared the Apex DCB to the ZX5 when I was looking. ZX5 performed better and felt better.

It is interesting to see how different people classify the ZX5 irons. Some say game improvement, some say mid handicapper, some say players distance. I know a lot of the categories are marketing attempts to reach certain groups of golfers. The ZX5's are quite versatile in that respect. I'm a 5.8 index and they perfectly meet my needs.

They cross a lot of lines and check a lot of boxes for sure. IMO they don't feel quite as good as something like a ZX7 or comparable true players cavity, but it's not that far off and the trade off is SO MUCH more help compared to an iron like that. I think they feel good enough that all but the very best ball strikers are probably better served taking that trade. I'm a 9.5 and couldn't imagine going back to something less forgiving even if I dropped to a 4.5.

FWIW I did hit the Apex 21 in my fitting and these came out on top for me. They did better with my toe miss and felt a little better to me. But that was based on maybe 10-15 swings total.

They cross a lot of lines and check a lot of boxes for sure. IMO they don't feel quite as good as something like a ZX7 or comparable true players cavity, but it's not that far off and the trade off is SO MUCH more help compared to an iron like that. I think they feel good enough that all but the very best ball strikers are probably better served taking that trade. I'm a 9.5 and couldn't imagine going back to something less forgiving even if I dropped to a 4.5.
Some of the ZX5 reviews were done before the ZX4'S came out. Thus, some concluding more of a game improvement vs ZX7. I wanted a comparison against other players distance as that is where i really see them fitting into.

Went to the range this morning with our Marine. He hasn't swung a club for a long time and just like his mother, he was hitting my ZX7's like he has been playing all summer:banghead:

He was hitting them so well, I set up a tee time at the exec 9 there for tomorrow morning!

These 7's obviously have more forgiveness than people think! Great irons!

Marines just have innate abilities that others don't...

Some of the ZX5 reviews were done before the ZX4'S came out. Thus, some concluding more of a game improvement vs ZX7. I wanted a comparison against other players distance as that is where i really see them fitting into.
I've played just about everything in this segment over the past 3-4 years including but not limited to: apex 19 combo, P790, MP20 HMB, zx7, honma 747P, cobra CB/MB, and Apex 21.
The ZX7 have been in the bag for a little over a year and my HC has dropped to my personal best ever at 48 years old. I play the ZX5 in my 4i but I am actually a more consistent ball striker with the thinner sole on the 7 than I am with the 5. I just purchased a set of P770 to try but they will have to be outstanding to kick the zx7 out of the bag.

I've played just about everything in this segment over the past 3-4 years including but not limited to: apex 19 combo, P790, MP20 HMB, zx7, honma 747P, cobra CB/MB, and Apex 21.
The ZX7 have been in the bag for a little over a year and my HC has dropped to my personal best ever at 48 years old. I play the ZX5 in my 4i but I am actually a more consistent ball striker with the thinner sole on the 7 than I am with the 5. I just purchased a set of P770 to try but they will have to be outstanding to kick the zx7 out of the bag.
I could definitely play the ZX7. I chose the ZX5 for the slightly higher trajectory and additional carry distance of about 5 yards over the ZX7.

Put these back in the bag until I can get another shaft option for the T100s.

The flight is a little higher but so much fun! Just need to control the hulksmash urge I get when looking down on them. A little more accuracy would be nice:banghead:

My score did not show it today do to several Out of Bounds from Driver (6), but the irons are starting to shape up. 225 layup fronts a ravine. Hit the U85 4 iron and almost ran it thru. A Wedge 115 to center and flew it off back. But these feel so good. And my ball flight is finally getting as high as my Zings which are more lofted.

Almost jumped on a set of ZX5's last night on the bay that went for a phenomenal price. Trying to hold off until my fitting though and also not get stabbed with a fork by my wife :ROFLMAO:

Almost jumped on a set of ZX5's last night on the bay that went for a phenomenal price. Trying to hold off until my fitting though and also not get stabbed with a fork by my wife :ROFLMAO:
My wife uses a Spork.

In all seriousness I get waiting for a fitting! Best thing I did for my game.

The only downside with waiting is your wife may beat your silly when she finds out you were fitted for the ZX5 and you didn't get the deal on eBay

So it had been a little longer than I thought since I'd played my ZX7s. I've gained some speed since then. As anyone who actually took the time to think about that prior might guess, they only get sofftterrr. 🤤 God I love the feel of these things. Blows my mind every time I go back to them.

They were predictably amazing in the turf and at 1 weak still a couple stronger than my currents, so just absurdly long. I'm glad I've never been able to bring myself to sell them, but it would take a little bit to get used to them again in a distance sense.

The soles though.. man they just beg you to hit golf shots with confidence. I still love the heel and toe notches too. That can just be a permanent thing please.

Last edited:
So it had been a little longer than I thought since I'd played my ZX7s. I've gained some speed since then. As anyone who actually took the time to think about that prior might guess, they only get sofftterrr. 🤤 God I love the feel of these things. Blows my mind every time I go back to them.

They were predictably amazing in the turf and at 1 weak still a couple stronger than my currents, so just absurdly long. I'm glad I've never been able to bring myself to sell them, but it would take a little bit to get used to them again in a distance sense.

The soles though.. man they just beg you to hit golf shots with confidence. I still love the hell and toe bitches too. That can just be a permanent thing please.
Such a Whiner...😂

Back