Starting downswing with hip bump question

Rusty Dave

#staffproto
Reaction score
Handicap
As I continue my 6 month journey at Golftec I'm curious about the longevity of my back and hips with my downswing sequence.
I've noticed that with a noticeable hip bump to start my downswing, my hips and pelvic area have been sore for the last month or so. I brought this to the attention of my pro and we've changed my downswing to a different swing thought which produces less bump and more turn but still does a great job of getting my weight forward.

My question is this. Is more of a slide towards the target more detrimental to my back then a slight slide and more hip turn?
Thanks. I'm 45 and would like to enjoy this game pain free.

when i was working with stack and tilt, the downswing is initiated with a slide toward the target. the lead hip is almost supposed to slide beyond the lead foot. after working on this move for a few weeks, i had a terrible pain in that hip joint. going up stairs or standing up off the toilet it felt like my hip was going to rip out of its socket. this was one of the main reasons i abandoned the model, although i still believe in its efficacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A slide forward is not the proper sequence on the downswing. The left hip pulls left creating room for the arms to swing down the line.

A slide forward is not the proper sequence on the downswing. The left hip pulls left creating room for the arms to swing down the line.

I'm assuming this sequence is also better for my back, hips and pelvis?

I'm assuming this sequence is also better for my back, hips and pelvis?

The strain on your back comes from lack of flexibility, poor core strength and violent moves into the ball. This can occur with proper and improper swing mechanics

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

Tell me about it. It was a failed attempt on my part to get my weight to my left side on the downswing. Didn't even realize I was doing it as much as I was.

The strain on your back comes from lack of flexibility, poor core strength and violent moves into the ball. This can occur with proper and improper swing mechanics

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

In other words, keep working on your swing mechanics and get into the gym (with a personal trainer or other proper instruction). I'm coming up on my 60th birthday and cannot begin to tell you how much I have benefitted from the latter.

This thread makes me smile because over the past 2 months I have been trying to focus on more upper body on my downswing.

I've always struggled with getting my weight to my left side so my instructor suggested I do a slight bump to get my weight moving. Right or wrong, it seems to work for me. I may not actually be even bumping but it's the sensation I look for when starting my downswing.

In my experience...at 60 years of age...the weight transfer is not a conscious, or separate, act. The more aware I am of any aspect of the sequence, uneven lies excluded, the less satisfactory the result. The one exception is tempo. Then again, I rely on a centered pivot, so sliding my hips forward would sabotage the effort.

Back