Steel vs graphite Iron shaft - What to expect when making the switch?

CoupleQuads

Reaction score
Full discretion I'm quite unfamiliar with the world of iron shafts, and have only just recently began looking into it, so please bear with me if any of these questions seem obvious or don't make sense.

I'm currently playing a set of Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S shafts. When I got my set, I didn't have an option to select shafts apart from Regular and Stiff and all I knew at the time was that a stiff flex was needed. I have no complaints about the clubs, I love them. However now it's the offseason and I like to tinker by nature.

I was offered a set of Mitsubishi MMT 105S graphite shafts to try, and with no experience in them I'm not totally opposed but I was wondering if anybody had any feedback

Can anybody speak to the differences I'd be expecting if I were to make the switch? I know that I can always try it out and put the Nippon shafts back in if the experiment fails, but that in itself is a tedious process to go through here in Ottawa with very limited club builders.

What would some of the benefits/shortfalls be of switching over to graphite from my current Nippon ones? Like I said I feel like I hit these shafts very well, but I've also never done a full shaft fitting to see what else is out there.

I didnt really see a huge difference in terms of performance. I was fit to get the most out of the graphite side, because I struggled with some arm and wrist pain. I believe a lot has been said about short comings, although I would argue that at the performance level it is not there and in fact could be argued the other way.

Quite a while back when graphite was just breaking into the iron shaft world, there were a lot of short comings.
Today they are just as good and in some cases better than steel. It's even an ongoing thought that a better player HAS to play steel. Yet every better players that hit a high quality graphite shaft is dumbfounded when they do. As in how can they be that good.
The benefits to your joints alone are worth the switch. Graphite dampens vibrations far better than steel. They also tend to feel much smoother to most players.
When changing anything in golf there is a certain learning curve. Good or bad. A material change is no different. Most players never go back to steel once they switch.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

These days I don't think there's much difference beyond the feel and less wrist/elbow pain. Been in graphite iron shafts for almost a decade now, though, so it is harder to remember steel-life. I've hit some steel irons to demo since then, but only have steel in my wedges and putter now, and really don't take full swings with the wedges.

I actually tried the Modus and the MMT side by side during my fitting at ecpc last December.

I did not notice much difference in feel at all, and actually got better dispersion with the Modus.

I ended up with the Modus in my irons.

A few months ago I went to a heavier shaft in a recoil and can say I really enjoy the feel and haven't noticed a drop off in performance.
I know this wasn't part of the question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Overall I have learned that the Modus is a pretty nice feeling shaft for steel

If you are staying in comparable weight there could be a couple of things. First would be the flex pattern. Even in steel different model shafts of the same weight perform differently. They are definitely easier on the hands and elbows.

I have Steelfiber i95 stiff flex shafts in my irons and have used them since 2013 when I got my Nike VR Pro Cavity irons with them. I wanted to go graphite as a preventative measure against wrist and elbow issues but never looked back. I had been in True Temper S400 shafts previously and these were as good if not better.

They are much more expensive than the TT shafts, but they last forever. I can also say that on a cold morning with a mis-hit you can still get a stinger with these shafts.

Played all graphite last year. I am back in steel now. I seemed to lose accuracy with graphite. I do not think that is because "graphite" it could have been weight, profile, or some other factor of that shaft not being a good fit. But it was there.

If you are staying in comparable weight there could be a couple of things. First would be the flex pattern.
Can you elaborate?
Flex and weight in graphite is independent.

Between those two maybe just a little more feel, maybe a tad more launch. Lots of potential body benefits. If you pound the range or the mats or play a lot you'll surely notice the difference.

Been there with this shaft decision a couple of times.. I do my own club assembly so it is pretty easy for me to switch backnforth - I have KBS 105 and 110 steel and Recoil 95 and 80s to play with -- I did not feel much difference but I would say the accuracy is what led me back to steel. I am 77 yr old nd play about 150 rounds a year and have no wrist or elbow pain issues so steel is ok with me. But I'd play either one. Love the paint on the Recoil graphite shafts..

I think everything that could be said has and I would just echo what others have said. Performance will be equal ish and it will come down to feel and possible injury prevention.

Are you able to do a side by side with the steel & graphite option? As in, do you have a comparable head you could build out with the MMT and do range or sim sessions to compare?

Moved to graphite (Mitsubishi MMT) 3 years ago.
Absolutely no regrets. I am more accurate with the graphite shafts than I was with steel.
I can really sense the club head lagging vs what I felt with steel.

Quite a while back when graphite was just breaking into the iron shaft world, there were a lot of short comings. Today they are just as good and in some cases better than steel. When changing anything in golf there is a certain learning curve. Good or bad. A material change is no different.

It was a learning curve for sure. Ball flight could look like letting pigeons out of a cage.

I switched to all graphite about 9 year ago and thought the transition was quite seamless. The lack of vibration negating arthritic aggrevation in my upper arms has certainly been a game changer for me.

I like Nippon Modus Steel Shafts. And I play graphite. But if I did still play steel, it might be the same shaft you are using. I believe Nippon has less fatigue on your arms, wrists, shoulders. In that way, I find them similar to graphite although graphite does a better job of shock absorption.

I have played MMT85 graphite and enjoyed the heck out of them. I play Dart 95 Taper and they are similar to MMT but a tad firmer in flex (my belief).

I would not change unless you are having health issues with the Nippon.

There won’t be a loss of performance, that’s for sure. May need some time to get used to them like with any shaft, but that’s not unexpected.

Can you elaborate?
Flex and weight in graphite is independent.

He is in a 105g steel shaft and looking at a 105g graphite shaft. The comparison was Modus 105 and MMT 105 both in stiff flex. My point was that 105 g steel shafts can play different depending on who makes them. I hit DG105s differently than a Modus 105s even though they are both stiff flex similar weight shafts. I know you can make a 105g graphite shaft pretty much as stiff as you want.

I would expect the shafts have different profiles and will perform differently. That doesn’t mean one will be better for the OP than the other. Generally the graphite shafts are easier on my body than steel.

I actually tried the Modus and the MMT side by side during my fitting at ecpc last December.

I did not notice much difference in feel at all, and actually got better dispersion with the Modus.

I ended up with the Modus in my irons.

A few months ago I went to a heavier shaft in a recoil and can say I really enjoy the feel and haven't noticed a drop off in performance.
I know this wasn't part of the question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Overall I have learned that the Modus is a pretty nice feeling shaft for steel
My experience as well.
If i were to go back to steel, I'd play Modus 105 or 120 reg.

Fit is always the key and there are quite a few lighter graphite iron shafts that those accustomed to a 115 or heavier gram steel shaft would would struggle to deliver. However, it definitely doesn’t have to be that way and at this point, graphite is superior to steel, because it can be made to do anything a steel shaft would do, although at a significantly higher price.

Comparing a Modus 105 to an MMT 105, I think the MMT would feel just a tad smoother, although the Modus is a smooth shaft, too. I honestly don’t believe that you would see a huge difference in numbers between the two. If you did, it would be because you naturally deliver one better than the other. I do believe that the graphite is a bit easier on the joints, if you get sore at all.

Back