StrackaLine - Laser Scanned Green Guides

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
Has anyone heard of this? They make custom green reading books for your course. Some aren't complete though. For instance, one of my courses only has the yardages, no green reading. But another one has everything. Just depends on your course.

About StrackaLine:

StrackaLine's world renowned laser scanned greens guides have been helping golfers make more putts since 2007. Search 10,000+ courses available for greens guides and 36,000+ courses available for yardage books from across the world. Our USGA compliant greens guides offer a level of detail and accuracy not available anywhere else for the most precise green reading. Yardage books include complete tee-to-green measurements for every hole. Dual view topographic slope presented in % showing precise green slopes. Greens are scaled to no larger than 3/8 inch to 5 yards in order to be USGA compliant. 1 yard / 5 yard grid, surrounding hazards and sprinkler heads provided for orientation where available. Elevation changes tee-to-green, distance in yards, cover distances to bunkers and penalty areas, distance rings from tee and to green, penalty to penalty width, compass, and fairway arrows in areas that exceed 4% slope for most courses

1634648712220.png

1634648765625.png

I understand a lot of collegiate athletes are using these.

Here is a preview picture of the first hole at one of my clubs I play frequently.

1634648997293.png

Now that the rule is being put in place that the PGA is no longer allowed to use green reading books, is the USGA going to make that a rule for everyone? If so, then this company would be obsolete. :unsure:

Thoughts? Would you invest in something like this? Maybe for a club you play a lot?

Has anyone heard of this? They make custom green reading books for your course. Some aren't complete though. For instance, one of my courses only has the yardages, no green reading. But another one has everything. Just depends on your course.

I understand a lot of collegiate athletes are using these.

Here is a preview picture of the first hole at one of my clubs I play frequently.

Now that the rule is being put in place that the PGA is no longer allowed to use green reading books, is the USGA going to make that a rule for everyone? If so, then this company would be obsolete. :unsure:

Thoughts? Would you invest in something like this? Maybe for a club you play a lot?
I know they have them available for both our club's courses. I wouldn't necessarily say they are going to be obsolete either. They will always be useful in practice rounds, and players can still draw general arrows on their yardage book to remind them of the slopes. Just maybe not at the granular level currently available.

I know they have them available for both our club's courses. I wouldn't necessarily say they are going to be obsolete either. They will always be useful in practice rounds, and players can still draw general arrows on their yardage book to remind them of the slopes. Just maybe not at the granular level currently available.
Good point (y)

I used a greens book at TPC Vegas and honestly it was just to get an idea. We kept hearing about pace of play so I was sure to get an idea then put it away. It didn't slow me down and I got enough info to confirm my read. I would not buy one for every course but it is a nice for big tournaments.

I like the idea and got all the way to checkout and discovered $75 international shipping, think I will pass particularly as that was for the yardage only no green reading.

I’ve looked into them but they didn’t have my course. Other companies did

At those prices, I'll pass.

There are cheaper options available for sure...and many courses have them

I got a greens and yardage combination for my home course. Worth the investment to me as I play 99% of my rounds there. Does take some getting used to in using. I find myself using it more to confirm what I think I am seeing in the green.

I used one at the MC that was a gift from @Bryndom and frankly, it was awesome after I figured it out! :LOL:

Didn’t slow play at all that I saw.

I have a StrackaLine book from PGA National that for sure saved me 4 strokes around the green out there. I have a different one from my course with similar green reading stuff, I haven't used it as much as I should? But that may change with Member Guest starting tomorrow.

I used a greens book at TPC Vegas and honestly it was just to get an idea. We kept hearing about pace of play so I was sure to get an idea then put it away. It didn't slow me down and I got enough info to confirm my read. I would not buy one for every course but it is a nice for big tournaments.

we used them to, thanks @Bryndom! I would just look at which way the green was breaking before I walked up to the green. They were pretty handy.

Q: I know strackaline says these are usga legal. Are these still legal?

Q: I know strackaline says these are usga legal. Are these still legal?
Pretty sure they are...I got mine after the rule changes and they said then that they were legal.

You could just accidentally drop your phone. 🤣

4BF472F4-0721-4DC1-AD97-81B2169DCD8C.jpeg

The PGA Tour's local rule banned notes gained from any type of measuring instrument, asserting that players must use “committee approved” yardage books and any handwritten notes about the greens must come directly from the naked eye. (Amateurs are still free to use the books or other green-reading apps.

Back