Sun Mountain Bag - Good or Bad?

Double Drops

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m looking for a new stand bag and I’ve pretty much settled on the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way. I think it offers everything for the most part that I’m looking for in a bag.
Just curious as to what the overall results have been with Sun Mountain bags? I’ve never tried one but have read several positive reviews. And if anyone has any experience with the 4.5 LS please let me know what you thought about it.

I don’t have that particular bag, but I have a c130 that is at least 10 years old and still in fantastic shape.

I have owned 3 or 4 SM bags throughout the years and they were all very good and more durable than any other brand I have used.

Best bag I have ever owned. Had my last one for over 10 years and no problems with zippers and no tears in the material.

Great bag! I lucked out with someone selling one locally for dirt cheap so I scooped it up. I have the 4.5 LS 14 way and it checks all the boxes for me.

Love my C130 cart bag, Sun Mountain is definitely top quality. I happen to be trying out a different bag right now to see if it works better on my electric caddy/push cart, but I already know I like the general layout of the C130 better.

I have a C130 and it's a tank. I haven't put the mileage on it that some members here have, but the construction is very quality and there's more capacity than I'll ever need.

I have the 2.5, for when I walk and go to the range, the 14 way 2.5 for when I ride, and I keep a 14 way 4.0 up on Long Island.
I love them all and they last forever.
If I had to keep only one, it would be the 2.5 14 way. IMO it’s the perfect golf bag. Extremely light, with everything you could want in storage capability.

I’m looking for a new stand bag and I’ve pretty much settled on the Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way. I think it offers everything for the most part that I’m looking for in a bag.
Just curious as to what the overall results have been with Sun Mountain bags? I’ve never tried one but have read several positive reviews. And if anyone has any experience with the 4.5 LS please let me know what you thought about it.
Sun Mountain 4.5 was my previous bag. I actually liked it a lot. I'm in a Bag Boy ZTF now that I absolutely love. If you haven't yet, check them out (especially if you're a walker).

Sun Mountain are solid bags, they're built well and last for years. My last three have been C-130s and I've eventually gotten rid of them after 6 or 7 years not because they wore out, but because I was just tired of looking at them. :LOL: I currently have a C-130 and a Sync in rotation - I use the Sync most of the year while I'm walking with my push cart, and the C-130 during the summer months when it's too hot to walk and I'm riding in a cart.

I have an under armor 14way which is made by sun mountain, basically the 4.5. Love the bag.

My current Sun Mountain 3.5LS (couple years old, maybe 250 or so rounds on my push cart) looks and works as good as new. Can't think of any issue I've had with it.

I did briefly own (and send back) some sort of oddball store-model Sun Mountain bag about 7-8 years ago that was just awful. Bought it mail order, off eBay maybe, and it was a model that wasn't even listed on Sun Mountain's web site. Might have been even counterfeit for all I know but it was crummy as all get out.

I also owned a couple of Titleist branded bags back in the days when Sun Mountain made them for Titleist. Those things were really nice and lasted years and years.

Have had a C130 cart bag and decided to go to a 14 way stand bag. Was down to the Sun Mountain 4.5 and the Ping Hoofer 14. Ended up with the Ping, but I think they are both great bags

Have a 4.5 LS 6 way - SM makes excellent bags - the 4.5 is terrific

I just bought my second C-130, love the Sun Mountain , and i love the Budget Golf Discount

As already said, Sun Mountain makes great bags.

I sold my C-130 this spring just did not need all the room . Bought a Sync and I am very happy with it lots of room and a little lighter.

Sun Mountain used to make great bags. They were sold and the new private equity group is in place. In my opinion quality has suffered

Sun Mountain used to make great bags. They were sold and the new private equity group is in place. In my opinion quality has suffered
I was afraid of that happening when the private equity group took over. My Sync is a '22 model and my C-130 is considerably older than that, so I don't have first-hand experience with the current year models.

My bags were all pre-2019, and I did not know about a sale.

What is the timing of the deterioration in quality that you perceive?

It was only a year ago that the sale took place.

LOS ANGELES, March 7, 2022 – Solace Capital Partners (“Solace”) today announced that it has acquired Sun Mountain Sports, Inc. (“Sun Mountain” or the “Company”), a leading producer of golf equipment and apparel, from founder and golf industry innovator Rick Reimers. The Company will remain headquartered in Missoula, Montana, and will continue to be led by its current management team, including long-time executive Ed Kowachek, who will assume the role of Chief Executive Officer, and Blake Ludwig, Chief Financial Officer. Mr. Reimers will retain ownership of Sun Mountain Motor Sports, which produces electric golf carts under the Finn Scooters brand. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

I can’t speak to it other than this year it appeared that way to me. To many good options to live on brand equity solely

I bought a new sun mountain this year because I loved my last one. I agree with @JB that the quality is not as good as my last one. I don’t hate it by any means and got a great deal from Budget Golf, but the stand isn’t as good. On my tile floor, I have to put the legs against the wall or they will keep sliding. I hear a crash one night and that is what happened

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
I bought a new sun mountain this year because I loved my last one. I agree with @JB that the quality is not as good as my last one. I don’t hate it by any means and got a great deal from Budget F
Golf, but the stand isn’t as good. On my tile floor, I have to put the legs against the wall or they will keep sliding. I hear a crash one night and that is what happened

That happens whether SM or Vessel ... you really must extend the legs when inside the house and/or put it on carpet.

Back