Super high iron ball flight

UCChris

Hack of the worst kind...
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey,

I'm a self taught golfer who started getting serious just this year. I've been hitting the range 2-3 times a week and watching a ton of videos. I feel like my swing is starting to get pretty decent, though I do have one issue that I'm not sure how to fix. I flip my wrists a lot to square up the face of the club on my iron shots which leads to me not taking a divot at all (picking the ball off the ground) and a very, very high ball flight. My PW goes about 80-85 yards and it seems like it goes almost 125-150 feet in the air (by my best estimate). I know the solution to this is to lead with the hands and "lag" the club head behind the hands/torso. However, whenever I try to keep my arms extended and not flip the wrists through the downswing, I end up digging up about 6 inches of turf 3-4" behind the ball. How do I stop doing that?

You could try more forward shaft lean at address. Tee the ball up a bit and make a shallow divot in front of the ball.

Learn about the laws of ball flight. What makes a golf ball curve and fly in a certain way, and how backspin affects height.

The more spin, the higher the ball flight. The less spin, the lower.

You're looking to put basic backspin on your shots to make them fly correctly, so hit past the ball, and make sure to take a divot in front of the ball.

Try this. Put three tees in the ground, one off of your right foot, one off your center, and one off your left foot.

Hit the right tee, then the center, then the left. If you can do this you'll control your divot. Put a tee in front of the ball, just in front not too far, but just directly in front of the ball. Tee it down so that you don't hit the ball into it, but you can still hit the tee. Hit the tee with your club. If your divot is in front of the ball you're creating backspin, and you naturally have forward shaft lean, which will lower your flight.

Hey,

I'm a self taught golfer who started getting serious just this year. I've been hitting the range 2-3 times a week and watching a ton of videos. I feel like my swing is starting to get pretty decent, though I do have one issue that I'm not sure how to fix. I flip my wrists a lot to square up the face of the club on my iron shots which leads to me not taking a divot at all (picking the ball off the ground) and a very, very high ball flight. My PW goes about 80-85 yards and it seems like it goes almost 125-150 feet in the air (by my best estimate). I know the solution to this is to lead with the hands and "lag" the club head behind the hands/torso. However, whenever I try to keep my arms extended and not flip the wrists through the downswing, I end up digging up about 6 inches of turf 3-4" behind the ball. How do I stop doing that?
If you shots are flying high and coming up short then the ball is rolling up the face. And since you hit the ball fat when you try to straighten arms, you also have an early release. More than likely the club head is in front of the hands at impact.

You may want to try to pull the handle of the club down into the ball or try to bury the knuckles of your left hand into the turf on the down swing. What will this do? It will naturally release the club at impact and the flip will go away. It will also help you to compress the ball and realize your true yardage.

If you shots are flying high and coming up short then the ball is rolling up the face. And since you hit the ball fat when you try to straighten arms, you also have an early release. More than likely the club head is in front of the hands at impact.

You may want to try to pull the handle of the club down into the ball or try to bury the knuckles of your left hand into the turf on the down swing. What will this do? It will naturally release the club at impact and the flip will go away. It will also help you to compress the ball and realize your true yardage.
Thank you! I'm going to work on this tomorrow at the range.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

This is my current battle at the moment and something my instructor had me working on as I had managed to develop an early release

Feel free to correct me here Freddie as this is something my instructor gave me to work on to start to develop the feeling so not sure if it would help

Start by using a PW and hold an alignment stick in your hands with the grip (felt awkward to me at first) and address the ball with a slight forward shaft lean so that the stick is going up past your left side (or right side if you are a lefty)
Take a short backswing as if you were just playing a simple chip and try to ensure that you hit the ball before the alignment stick hits you in the side to promote the hands being slightly ahead of the ball at impact

Once I got this feeling we moved on to a longer iron and started with quarter-half swings before removing the alignment stick from the equation and taking full swings again

My impact position is a lot better now and I found that it felt like I needed a lot less effort to hit the ball as far as I did previously due to compressing the ball better

This is my current battle at the moment and something my instructor had me working on as I had managed to develop an early release

Feel free to correct me here Freddie as this is something my instructor gave me to work on to start to develop the feeling so not sure if it would help

Start by using a PW and hold an alignment stick in your hands with the grip (felt awkward to me at first) and address the ball with a slight forward shaft lean so that the stick is going up past your left side (or right side if you are a lefty)
Take a short backswing as if you were just playing a simple chip and try to ensure that you hit the ball before the alignment stick hits you in the side to promote the hands being slightly ahead of the ball at impact

Once I got this feeling we moved on to a longer iron and started with quarter-half swings before removing the alignment stick from the equation and taking full swings again

My impact position is a lot better now and I found that it felt like I needed a lot less effort to hit the ball as far as I did previously due to compressing the ball better

I use this drill but I tel me students not to allow the stick to hit them. If the left side clears properly, it shouldn't hit you.

Back