I remind myself about tempo beforehand, and just feel the swing (as my instructor says to do).

I've also read articles in Golf, GD, etc., over decades.

Some keep 3 thoughts. Maybe that's a refresh between shots. But that seems to be playing golf swing, not golf. Once you own a swing, I don't know because I'm still trying to own one, I think tempo would be important as a reminder.

Carolina Golfer,
I am not one to give tips, but I can give you some facts about human genetics that might be helpful in you achieving a successful golf swing. A large percentage of our brain is dedicated to our dominant hands , most of that to our dominant ( righty or leftie ) and the body will always obey their commands . That should give you some key as to * what controls the swing * . Our dominant hands CONTROL the action , but must not be used to hit, throw or release .

Carolina Golfer,
I am not one to give tips, but I can give you some facts about human genetics that might be helpful in you achieving a successful golf swing. A large percentage of our brain is dedicated to our dominant hands , most of that to our dominant ( righty or leftie ) and the body will always obey their commands . That should give you some key as to * what controls the swing * . Our dominant hands CONTROL the action , but must not be used to hit, throw or release .

Since he wants to know about swing thoughts, please relate that to his question.

Should he think right hand before a swing if that is his dominant hand?

Yes sir- he should ,

If we stand erect and fling our dominant hands around our torso parallel to the ground or either on an inclined arc as if making a golf swing we notice that the torso immediately complies obediently. No need to focus on the hips and shoulders rotating/ turning . Same thing with the DS . The mere intention of pulling downward with our dominant hand creates a sequence of events and the opposite side stretched LAT and back muscles will pull the lever down and around to provide the power. Our dominant hands control the entire action, but they must not be used to provide power. They have none. They only control. Nothing else !
Thanks for your reply.

Carolina Golfer,
I should mention also that - unfortunately for those of us trying to learn this great game our wonderful brain sends million of signals / commands to our dominant hands daily , which are embedded in our subconscious brain. And millions are on driving ranges daily attempting to hit / throw / release with their hands . And why not . That is only natural, but their is * nothing natural * about the golf swing . It is not in the subconscious. It is learned conscious task . Extremely difficult to learn as it requires overriding our embedded human genetics / structure .

Carolina Golfer,
I should mention also that - unfortunately for those of us trying to learn this great game our wonderful brain sends million of signals / commands to our dominant hands daily , which are embedded in our subconscious brain. And millions are on driving ranges daily attempting to hit / throw / release with their hands . And why not . That is only natural, but their is * nothing natural * about the golf swing . It is not in the subconscious. It is learned conscious task . Extremely difficult to learn as it requires overriding our embedded human genetics / structure .

Thanks, Lane. If you had one specific message to the brain going back and one through. If I am hearing you correctly, stretch the left lat (rightie) and pull down with the right hand/arm on the though swing?

At one point, Tom Watson (I think) advocated the silent singing of the word "Edelweiss" to manage tempo.
yep - that's where I got the notion. I use a 3-syllable "beat" more or less instead of a word

Rocullen- it is factual that the human brain can ONLY perform ONE (1) task in the 2/10 seconds of time allotted for the DS - and for any action that requires such a fleeting moment of time. So- in that case it makes no sense to try to remember 2-3-4 , whatever. That just creates anatomical confusuion.
that's why it's in a practice swing or two! not really a swing thought, highlights of what needs to get done; full back swing, lead with lower body, don't use the hands, etc.

Then step up and think/visualise ONLY the clubface path .

And 6 may have been hyperbole. Most of the time is only 2 or 4. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, Lane. If you had one specific message to the brain going back and one through. If I am hearing you correctly, stretch the left lat (rightie) and pull down with the right hand/arm on the though swing?

hmmm- we have a thinker here. Congrats!
CG- Yes Sir - you are exactly correct. When muscles on the right side of our torso PULL the shaft back up and around the muscles on the left are stretched the slightest intent/ instruction from the DOMINANT RIGHT HAND to PULL the shaft down on an inside inclined / arc will automatically kick in to provide the power necessary to propel any object.
Obviously , it’s natural human genetics design is to throw/ hit and release out and around which is what 95 % of allplayers do. . It has to be taught to perform in an entirety opposite manner than it is designed. Ahhh- the key to a successful golf swing - control of the hands within the swing. Genetics rule !
Good luck .

hmmm- we have a thinker here. Congrats!
CG- Yes Sir - you are exactly correct. When muscles on the right side of our torso PULL the shaft back up and around the muscles on the left are stretched the slightest intent/ instruction from the DOMINANT RIGHT HAND to PULL the shaft down on an inside inclined / arc will automatically kick in to provide the power necessary to propel any object.
Obviously , it’s natural human genetics design is to throw/ hit and release out and around which is what 95 % of allplayers do. . It has to be taught to perform in an entirety opposite manner than it is designed. Ahhh- the key to a successful golf swing - control of the hands within the swing. Genetics rule !
Good luck .
All well and good for someone who is right-handed and playing right-handed golf, but as someone who is left-handed and playing right-handed golf, that doesn't work

Doctor,

I respectfully disagree with that . The same thing applies to a leftie. The genetic design of ALL HUMANS are structured the same . If you PULL your DOMINANT LEFT HAND back around the opposite right side LAT and back muscles will * stretch * . That is the way we humans are wrapped .

Doctor,

I respectfully disagree with that . The same thing applies to a leftie. The genetic design of ALL HUMANS are structured the same . If you PULL your DOMINANT LEFT HAND back around the opposite right side LAT and back muscles will * stretch * . That is the way we humans are wrapped .
only problem is, Idon't want to start the golf swing with my dominant hand. I want to start it with a hip rotation. Almost all of my miss-shot can be traced back to starting the down swing with the hands instead of lower body initiation.

So much of your body movement is controlled by your sequencing, not by conscious thought.

For example, if you fan your club open on the takeaway and start the downswing with your club wide open, you WILL come over the top, guaranteed. Your brain can't let you do anything else. If you were to swing from the inside with that wide-open club face, the ball is going to go 90-degrees right or you're going to miss altogether. So, your brain will force you to throw your upper body at the ball in an effort to get the club face square, as well as dumping all your lag at the ball..aka a flip.

Similarly, if you are over the top, you're going to have a really tough time bumping your hip and rotating hard through the ball. If you did, you'd pull the ball 90-degrees left. Rotation is what the brain does in response to a closed club face and lots of lag. If it didn't rotate you from that position, the ball is going to go right.

You can't just decide "I need to rotate more" and work on throwing your hips open if the club is not in the right position for your brain to allow it. If you do, you're going to make things worse. This is where a good pro is important - to make sure you meet the criteria to improve your rotation, shallowing, or whatever it may be.

So much of your body movement is controlled by your sequencing, not by conscious thought.

well, you got one sentence right.

If you start with lower body, there is more than likely a very slim chance of coming over the top. If you start with the hands, you got a 50/50 chance and the hip bump does no good.

If you hold your right hand out in front palm facing skyward and rotate your thumb CCW you will notice you can rotate it 270 degrees . Same, but in an opposite manner with the left . More than 40 % of the brain is dedicated to our extremities aka - hands . These dominant hands that are the only attachment/ connection to the lever system ( grip end) and the human body will always position itself to accommodate the path the hands desire to travel. And- they will always roll over , turn down and ruin your shot if left unattended to perform as they are naturally designed to perform. Nothing about the golf swing is - natural !
Not trying to argue or to disagree or change your minds - just my training and thoughts if you care to ponder.
thanks for your replies .

If you hold your right hand out in front palm facing skyward and rotate your thumb CCW you will notice you can rotate it 270 degrees . Same, but in an opposite manner with the left . More than 40 % of the brain is dedicated to our extremities aka - hands . These dominant hands that are the only attachment/ connection to the lever system ( grip end) and the human body will always position itself to accommodate the path the hands desire to travel. And- they will always roll over , turn down and ruin your shot if left unattended to perform as they are naturally designed to perform. Nothing about the golf swing is - natural !
Not trying to argue or to disagree or change your minds - just my training and thoughts if you care to ponder.

Lane, Just to confirm. Are you saying pull during the backswing with your dominate hand and pull with your dominate hand on the downswing? Maybe, similar to the "right side swing", that never gained popularity?

Think I'm owing down on back swing but a bit too quick on downswing... My swing completely disappeared yesterday.
This is where I hit bad shots. Starting way to fast down which leads to deceleration at the ball for club face control. Really trying to slow down from the top and then when that club gets down in the proper pocket step on the gas from there and accelerate through the ball. That is my swing thought right now.

Doctor,

The same thing only applies to a leftie if they are playing left-handed - if someone is playing golf the opposite way to their dominant side, then it doesn't work

As a right handed golfer my main thought is to try and swing out to the right

I don't dispute the hands are very important. I am not a Golfing Machine golfer, but even those that are say "educated hands"
I just don't think you "lead" with the hands. You let them work thru your "Natural happening" via a proper induction into the swing with a lower body rotation and a strong shoulder rotation. As Hogan stated, "the hands do nothing until about hip level". Watch any tour pro and their hands are almost passive until....about hip level.
I also don't feel they initiate that hand action, I think(key word there:)) that is is a natural reaction to centripetal energy, the endless belt illustration of the GM.

I'd almost bet that if you took 50 municipal golfers, heck even most club golfers and told them to lead with the hands, a major portion of them would come over the top.
Then tell them to rotate the lower body first, and the majority of them hands will fall into a natural position to come from inside out. There will be outliers in each group, but the majority would probably follow suit.

Someone stated that you don't have time to initiate a lower body rotation; tell me a baseball batter has time to step forward when a pitch is coming at him 90-99 mph and a golfer doesn't have time to rotate hips when the ball is sitting there stationary.

As a right handed golfer my main thought is to try and swing out to the right
I don't dispute the hands are very important. I am not a Golfing Machine golfer, but even those that are say "educated hands"
I just don't think you "lead" with the hands. You let them work thru your "Natural happening" via a proper induction into the swing with a lower body rotation and a strong shoulder rotation. As Hogan stated, "the hands do nothing until about hip level". Watch any tour pro and their hands are almost passive until....about hip level.
I also don't feel they initiate that hand action, I think(key word there:)) that is is a natural reaction to centripetal energy, the endless belt illustration of the GM.

I'd almost bet that if you took 50 municipal golfers, heck even most club golfers and told them to lead with the hands, a major portion of them would come over the top.
Then tell them to rotate the lower body first, and the majority of them hands will fall into a natural position to come from inside out. There will be outliers in each group, but the majority would probably follow suit.

Someone stated that you don't have time to initiate a lower body rotation; tell me a baseball batter has time to step forward when a pitch is coming at him 90-99 mph and a golfer doesn't have time to rotate hips when the ball is sitting there stationary.
Carolina Dundee,
Would you agree that If the shoulders begin to rotate at the very start of the DS before the hands drop down and back the hands and arms would have no choice , but to go out and around and outside with them which is what 95 percent of players do?

Back