Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
Other can feel and timing, what else does it have affect on? If anything? I understand swing weight and that it is somewhat of an arbitrary number. I have been thinking about it more lately and have been wondering. I really cannot find a good answer.

Mainly feel I would think. You get used to a certain feel so that you can tell where it is in the swing.

Mainly feel I would think. You get used to a certain feel so that you can tell where it is in the swing.

I think so too. I just seem to be unable to accept that answer. There has to be more to right??

I think so too. I just seem to be unable to accept that answer. There has to be more to right??
Maybe but not sure how to define it.

To me it is feel and for me not as easy to tell as some can. I changed one of my drivers from around D1 to the mid C range and I really like it that way. I had one that was D6 and I could tell that and could not hit it well at all. Most of my irons are D2, I think.

Swing weight is a step too far in my knowledge. Just seems like a foreign language to me. I wish I understood.

I’m mobile so I can’t pull it but we have a great video with Danny Le from UST Mamiya talking about this including how some it doesn’t impact at all.

I don't obsess about it, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it arbitrary.

Here's the video I think @JB was talking about.

I think it matters far more and far less to certain people. I can hit a D8 iron about as well as I can a D0. What I noticed re-shafting clubs for others is what he says in the video. Some kind of consistency. Seems like the one people say they just couldn't hit is often the one that's drastically different from the rest. A buddy and I did some testing on SW this spring and what we found was if you give me a different SW club blind, it doesn't really matter much by the third swing. I adapt. The difference between the first and third swings though did seem to get wider the further from my set SW they were. Whether that's from the unexpectedness of it compared to my norm, or that a specific SW is best for me is debatable. It did seem to support the idea of consistency though. You don't get 2nd and 3rd chances on course.

Sidenote - my swing weights are not the same throughout my clubs. :p

Last edited:
I’m mobile so I can’t pull it but we have a great video with Danny Le from UST Mamiya talking about this including how some it doesn’t impact at all.

That would be great!.

Swing weight is a step too far in my knowledge. Just seems like a foreign language to me. I wish I understood.

Well many think that it is antiquated thinking and should be done away with. That to a certain extent and that MOI matching is better and more important. I am not a club builder by any means but I like understanding these things.

Well many think that it is antiquated thinking and should be done away with. That to a certain extent and that MOI matching is better and more important. I am not a club builder by any means but I like understanding these things.
I do too. I wish I understood it regardless of whether it was important or not. I have tried to research it but just haven't devoted the time yet.

I think it is feel and tempo. I was randomly paired with a retired club fitter a few weeks ago. He said that when he fit people, he found the majority were more consistent with their strikes on heavier swing weights. He would fit them based on feel and dispersion. He told me to try it on my irons. I added lead tape and I think there is something to it. I have never worried about club weight before but a lot of things seem to lead me to believe that my swing is better with a heavier swing weight.

I don’t think I am sensitive enough to think my swing with irons is great at D5 and crap at D4. But I do think that my iron swing is better at D5 compared to D2.

Watch that video above as a start. Its a good one.

Definitely think it's more about consistency, but I think once you get used to a certain SW, you kind feel lost if you swing something too far from it. I know I like my irons and woods around D4 and my wedges a little higher.

Mainly feel. It is something that I obsessed about for 3 or 4 years after getting my first swing weight scale. Luckily I kind of, but not totally, got over that.

Swing "weight" is all about balance, not weight. The words "heavy" and "light" should not even be used to describe the concept. Instead, "higher" or "lower" are more appropriate. You can take a club that has a higher swing weight than another, and it could still be physically lighter overall. Goes the other way too. Lots out there on the web as well.

Last edited:
I use it to keep things consistent, I tried all the same SW but found I like my irons heavier than the woods and wedges heavier than the irons, but I went nuts with one build and was very picky with the 5 iron @ D2 and got heavier to the wedges @ D6 and I don't have those any longer.....I can just play D2-3 all the way and D5-6 in wedges and be just fine.

The video makes sense. He discusses irons and keeping that weight similar. What about hybrids, fairway woods and Drivers? How do you go about those? Are they same as your irons as well?

When I did my driver fitting at Club Champion the only time swing weight was brought up was when we found the combo that worked for me. She threw it on the scale and asked me to guess the SW. I said it was probably a D4 and she said it was a D9 which was quite surprising to me.

Back