Switching 3i, 4i to hybrids

52° is a typical gap wedge. Am I missing something else?
That's what I thought too.

Here are typical yardages I see with each club off the deck (except for driver which is off the tee of course):

Driver - 275+ yards
15 Deg FW - 245 yards
18 Deg FW - 230 yards
3i - 220 yards
4i - 210 yards
5i- 195 yards
6i - 185 yards
7i - 175 yards
8i - 165 yards
9i - 150 yards
PW - 135 yards
52 - 120 yards
58 - 100 yards

52° is a typical gap wedge. Am I missing something else?

I know this stuff isn't written in stone but then I guess I stand corrected. I though a typical SW was 54 but I know this stuff can vary. I suppose (via his post) he seems fairly covered. Plus it all about what one wants and not necessarily anything text book anyway but it did cause me to ask. Just was curious

My cobra AMP irons are = pw-44, gw-49, sw-54 and then I have a higher lofted LW of different make and model

Last edited:
I play a 3 and 4 hybrid and a 4 iron.

That's what I thought too.

Here are typical yardages I see with each club off the deck (except for driver which is off the tee of course):

Driver - 275+ yards
15 Deg FW - 245 yards
18 Deg FW - 230 yards
3i - 220 yards
4i - 210 yards
5i- 195 yards
6i - 185 yards
7i - 175 yards
8i - 165 yards
9i - 150 yards
PW - 135 yards
52 - 120 yards
58 - 100 yards

No big gaps there, really. The only thing I could think of, from a utility stand point, drop the 3i, get a 24° hybrid, and add a high bounce 56° wedge. But as it stands now, if you have no problems getting out of green side bunkers, don't change a darned thing

I know this stuff isn't written in stone but then I guess I stand corrected. I though a typical SW was 54 so I thought he'd have a large gap to his PW.

The gap wedge is just a name put to the wedge that is between the pitching wedge and the sand wedge. But that isn't federal law either. For what it's worth, any wedge can be a sand wedge. It is just a name given to a club.

The gap wedge is just a name put to the wedge that is between the pitching wedge and the sand wedge. But that isn't federal law either. For what it's worth, any wedge can be a sand wedge. It is just a name given to a club.

I hear ya and understand it. However, doesn't the SW tend to have more bounce (as noted in another thread's discussions) and not really follow suit in a given set of the same brand and model clubs.

I switched out my long irons for Hybrids last year and could not be happier

I hear ya and understand it. However, doesn't the SW tend to have more bounce (as noted in another thread's discussions) and not really follow suit in a given set of the same brand and model clubs.

Sure. Bounce plays a big part in it. But it is possible to have a high bounce 52° wedge or a high bounce 58° wedge.

I swapped out my 3 iron for an 18* hybrid 3 or 4 years ago and never looked back.

XR pros ordered. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR pros ordered. Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck, hope they serve you well. As for what happened with the wife?................I'll leave that one alone :) hope all is well.

Good luck, hope they serve you well. As for what happened with the wife?................I'll leave that one alone :) hope all is well.
She won't know - shipped to my office and all clubs look the same to her.

You mean just like her outfits and pocket books and jewelry look to you? :(

This stuff is just too funny :)

I sometimes tell my wife ......."ya know, golf clubs aren't just for golf":D

You are going to love those... you will stand over the ball with no question in your mind as to what is going to happen to it! ROASTED.

Now you can tell everyone in your flight that you're gaming "stealth" hybrids. Enjoy.

Go figure. I had a playing lesson today with my instructor and we corrected my follow through. Now my drives are going where I want and I'm killing my long irons. I am actually hitting my 3i off the tee instead of my 4w when needed. I may have moved too soon on these.

The tech on hybrids suggest that if you're killing your 3i, the hybrids should perform even better.

Back