Take An Extra Club

I don't think you can place a number percentage on it at all. especially as our caps rise. You simply cant count the rarer very best ones nor the poor screw up hits no matter how many there are. Imo you simply use all the shots that you hit while swinging well enough.

I think 10% is probably okay for a 10 HDCP (like OP and myself). I'd throw more away the higher your HDCP is, and less the lower.

I think take the extra club ideology is overrated when used as a generality. It only works if one does indeed wind up short on most of his good strikes. .

I agree. I was taught to club up and I think it was wise when I first started playing because I didn't really know my yardages. I hit everything on the number today and some a little farther than usual. If I would've clubbed up I would've flew the green multiple times. There are still times when I do club up, but to just do it as a reflex isn't good for me.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Take An Extra Club

I agree. I was taught to club up and I think it was wise when I first started playing because I didn't really know my yardages. I hit everything on the number today and some a little farther than usual. If I would've clubbed up I would've flew the green multiple times. There are still times when I do club up, but to just do it as a reflex isn't good for me.

What I am advocating is a little bit different. I didn’t club up and swing the same.....thus flying greens. I clubbed up and then consciously throttled my swing way back to try and hit it the right distance.

Last edited:
What I am advocating is a little bit different. I didn’t club up and swing the same.....thus flying greens. I clubbed up and then consciously throttled my swing way back to try and hit it the right distance.
I was speaking in general, not to your specific experience. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot for me depending on the day.

Take An Extra Club

I was speaking in general, not to your specific experience. I'm glad you found something that works for you. Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot for me depending on the day.

Years ago, I got to play a round with Lee Trevino and he confirmed a story I read. He asked his caddie once during a practice round what the yardage was. Caddie told him it was an 8 iron. Lee said, I’m not asking for the club, I need to know the yardage. Caddie said, I told you, 8 iron (Lee told me it was about 150 yards). Lee went berserk. He proceeded to take every club in his bag.....from driver to lob wedge, and he hit a ball onto the green with each club from 150 yards. He told his caddie, I can hit every club in my bag any distance I want. You tell me the distance, and I will decide what club I will use to hit that far.

That’s kinda’ what I’m trying to do.

Last edited:
It's all about knowing where the right miss is, not always necessarily picking the club that you theoretically hit X yards. Our ball striking isn't as consistent as we'd all love so if long is a bad miss, I don't club up. I'd rather just chip up with a wedge then risk thick rough / water behind a green.

This is great advice.

Years ago, I got to play a round with Lee Trevino and he confirmed a story I read. He asked his caddie once during a practice round what the yardage was. Caddie told him it was an 8 iron. Lee said, I’m not asking for the club, I need to know the yardage. Caddie said, I told you, 8 iron (Lee told me it was about 150 yards). Lee went berserk. He proceeded to take every club in his bag.....from driver to lob wedge, and he hit a ball onto the green with each club from 150 yards. He told his caddie, I can hit every club in my bag any distance I want. You tell me the distance, and I will decide what club I will use to hit that far.

That’s kinda’ what I’m trying to do.

That wasn't really what I was thinking about per say with this thread but I can appreciate that ideology. Its always good to hit the different clubs multiple distances. it adds up to that many more choices of ammunition in our bags. Though most of us mid to high/higher cappers probably struggle enough with consistency just trying to place a similar repeatable swing with each full club as it is let alone manipulate the speeds. Unless of course we face the in betweener distance which we often can be at. And sometimes we discuss just that on the forum which goes to show that its not really a norm for us nor the easiest thing.

The only one thing I would say about that is that it can make sense to hit the shorter club for sake of descent angle and spin. Most of us don't generate the spin we really need to and taking the longer club will of course not only spin less but also have a shallower descent angle. Both together makes it even more difficult to hold greens than it already might be for plenty of us to begin with. And also ...lol, but plenty amateurs don't get the ball up enough either which is another added reason to go with the steeper descent shorter club on top those others reasons. Then also ..lol i keep thinking more things, but many and maybe even most use lessor spinning distance balls so here yet again anther reason a higher descent angle of the shorter club means alot. Sounds like a lot of negatives I know , but they are real.

Not saying the ideology you've mentioned is not a good one especially for the reason you mention. I think it is and I even like it but just that like anything has pros and cons.

Last edited:
This is great advice.

It’s what I teach my high schoolers.

Yes, know your distance.

Yes, sometimes you take more club and swing less.

But, you must ALWAYS know YOUR miss and how it plays on that hole. Play to the miss the hole gives you.

Back