Talk Me Into Some Irons

i210 perhaps?

... Other than loft, which just about every players irons have "jacked" to some degree, the Cobra Forged Tours fit your description. I have played the Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and now Forged Tours. I have played many other irons since the original Amp Forged but always come back to this iron. Great feel for multi material, thinnest top line compared to others in this category and great trajectory control. Fwiw, I played the original AP2's and really liked them but switched to the AF'ed and liked them better in every way.

Just curious @Chisag... What caused you to leave behind the P790s? I thought you loved those irons.

Thanks for the input so far. Still not a lot of info as to why you guys think I might like the irons suggested.

The new Apex Pros check all your boxes. They're a smaller profile with a thin topline, which is especially impressive for the ones with cup faces. Compared to what you're seeing at address now, there's basically a mm more offset in the long irons, down to a half mm difference in the wedges. Its a 45° PW, and the rest of the set is the same lofts as your current irons. On top of that, the tech and forgiveness in such a small package is staggering. The low forgiveness the CF16 was so known for is still there in the 19 Pros, without sacrificing in the spin department like previous iterations and the regular Apex line.

Another vote for the Apex Pros. I've just tested them, so my experience is somewhat limited, but here are my thoughts on why you should at least try them.

Although you can find irons that are more of a true player's profile/no offset setup, the Apex Pros are very similar to the Forged Tours in that category. I loved the feel of the Forged Tours, but I think the Apex Pros are better. And in terms of both distance and forgiveness, there is no comparison (at least for me). I've been playing the XR Pros since 2015. When I played the Forged Tours for the year of the Morgan Cup, I felt like I gained a little bit of precision, but I lost about a club and a half of distance, even on good strikes. From what I've seen during limited testing of the Apex Pros, they are every bit as precise as the Forged Tours. I can't say they're better because I haven't spent enough time with them, but they sure do seem to be very straight. And I'm not sure I would lose much distance at all switching from the XR Pros to the Apex Pros--I'd say half a club at most--even though the Apex Pros have more traditional lofts.

If you want the a nice combo of feel, performance, looks, and forgiveness then it would be really hard to beat either Mizuno JPX 919 Forged or Callaway Apex 2019. Both sets are getting rave reviews here and I have looked at and hit both. You would not be disappointed in either. Seems you may want something a bit more player style, but I also see you have a toddler. Player irons and toddlers generally don't mix well due to the constraint of time.

The new Apex Pros check all your boxes. They're a smaller profile with a thin topline, which is especially impressive for the ones with cup faces. Compared to what you're seeing at address now, there's basically a mm more offset in the long irons, down to a half mm difference in the wedges. Its a 45° PW, and the rest of the set is the same lofts as your current irons. On top of that, the tech and forgiveness in such a small package is staggering. The low forgiveness the CF16 was so known for is still there in the 19 Pros, without sacrificing in the spin department like previous iterations and the regular Apex line.

Thanks, They're definitely on the list now.

Another vote for the Apex Pros. I've just tested them, so my experience is somewhat limited, but here are my thoughts on why you should at least try them.

Although you can find irons that are more of a true player's profile/no offset setup, the Apex Pros are very similar to the Forged Tours in that category. I loved the feel of the Forged Tours, but I think the Apex Pros are better. And in terms of both distance and forgiveness, there is no comparison (at least for me). I've been playing the XR Pros since 2015. When I played the Forged Tours for the year of the Morgan Cup, I felt like I gained a little bit of precision, but I lost about a club and a half of distance, even on good strikes. From what I've seen during limited testing of the Apex Pros, they are every bit as precise as the Forged Tours. I can't say they're better because I haven't spent enough time with them, but they sure do seem to be very straight. And I'm not sure I would lose much distance at all switching from the XR Pros to the Apex Pros--I'd say half a club at most--even though the Apex Pros have more traditional lofts.

This is awesome to hear. I too felt as if I lost some distance when I put the FTs in my bag. I didn't care due to how precise I was able to hit them (compared to my previous set.) So to be able to keep the precision, and add some distance is very enticing, especially now that I have been striking the ball better. Thanks!

If you want the a nice combo of feel, performance, looks, and forgiveness then it would be really hard to beat either Mizuno JPX 919 Forged or Callaway Apex 2019. Both sets are getting rave reviews here and I have looked at and hit both. You would not be disappointed in either. Seems you may want something a bit more player style, but I also see you have a toddler. Player irons and toddlers generally don't mix well due to the constraint of time.

I'm playing better now than I ever have... Maybe the kiddo forces me to focus more and work harder in the time that I have?

I've always like the looks of the JPX line, but for some reason I have never really given them much of a chance. May just have to this year. Thanks

For me the Srixon VT sole has given me the best distance control out of any iron I've tested. They look and feel as good as anything out there as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNprJHj9YkM

Looks wise, these are serious contenders. How would you compare them (distance and control wise) to other somewhat recent sets you've played?

Thanks for the input so far. Still not a lot of info as to why you guys think I might like the irons suggested.
With the possible exception of lofts - which I don’t know what you consider to be jacked - the Apex 19s meet all of your requirements. Feel off the face is superb. Distance is great. Forgiveness is very good. Looks are subjective but most say they look fabulous. They are just really really good irons. I have called them special. Jman is on the cusp of saying they are the best irons he’s ever played. Virtually nobody that has tried them has disliked them. Maybe you find something you like better, but I think you’d be making a mistake if you didn’t at least give them a look /try.

I was playing Mizuno MPH5 before The Morgan Cup. Hopped into a flow set of CB/MB combo. I was told they would be hard to hit and to be honest, it has been complete opposite. I've hit 1 really, really bad slice that went way right. Very easy to hit, really nice to look at and performance is great. 5-6 CB. 7-pw MB. Favorite club is PW. 52° and 56° have not been hit in 10 rounds so far. PW is that easy to control. I love everything about the set except I love the look of the CB just a little bit more. Give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Looks wise, these are serious contenders. How would you compare them (distance and control wise) to other somewhat recent sets you've played?

Longer and more forgiving than my Wilson Staff FG V2's and better feel and accuracy than the '17 Apex Pro's I demoed for a few weeks before buying the Z765s. I like them so much I have 2 sets!:act-up:

Player Cavities:
Standard loft: Cobra King CB
Awesome sole: Srixon z785 (or 765, 745)
Popular: Apex Pro, xforged
Green Grass: AP2 or titleist CB (716 is one piece. 718 has tungsten)

Blades: whichever suits your eye with minor details

Cobra has tungsten in their sole
Titleist looks super traditional
Callaway compact
Mizuno slightly longer blade length
Srixon, longer blade length and awesome sole

Out of those, I have a few them. I'm very partial to the v-sole on the Srixons. I have a few others of those in my possession for testing and messing around with but currently play GI irons.

Go a few releases back and see if you can find a set of Mizuno MP-15's They have all the attributes you are looking for.

With the possible exception of lofts - which I don’t know what you consider to be jacked - the Apex 19s meet all of your requirements. Feel off the face is superb. Distance is great. Forgiveness is very good. Looks are subjective but most say they look fabulous. They are just really really good irons. I have called them special. Jman is on the cusp of saying they are the best irons he’s ever played. Virtually nobody that has tried them has disliked them. Maybe you find something you like better, but I think you’d be making a mistake if you didn’t at least give them a look /try.
Oh they'll definitely get a try! As far as jacked I'm referring to the old set of TM speed blades I have in my garage. The 6 iron plays to the same specs as the 5 iron in my cobras and my TMBs

Posted by my thumbs.

Hit the Srixon Z785’s! They’re fantastic!!!

Recently I’ve played the 765’s, 718 AP2’s, and Cobra King CB/MB’s. I prefer the 785’s to all of them, they’re a little smaller than the 765’s and AP2’s, but a little bigger than the Cobras. Definitely the softest feel out of the lot of them. Srixon took everything that was great about the 745’s and 765’s and put them into the 785’s, they really knocked them out of the park.

The sole of the Srixon irons is also second to none and helps more than one would think.

Hit the Srixon Z785’s! They’re fantastic!!!

Recently I’ve played the 765’s, 718 AP2’s, and Cobra King CB/MB’s. I prefer the 785’s to all of them, they’re a little smaller than the 765’s and AP2’s, but a little bigger than the Cobras. Definitely the softest feel out of the lot of them. Srixon took everything that was great about the 745’s and 765’s and put them into the 785’s, they really knocked them out of the park.

The sole of the Srixon irons is also second to none and helps more than one would think.

Awesome! another vote for the Srixon moves them up the list.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what you want. Your OP had four criteria and the first three I'd categorize as a specific look. The fourth was standard lofts, which you later defined as "not jacked". Then you eliminated one make/model saying it didn't have a good feel. Then in another post, you suggested appearance wasn't all that important if the dispersion was great, which was the case on a past set you owned. So, I still don't feel like I've got a good handle on what is important to you.

Back