Talk Me Out of a TaylorMade Driver!

aggiesam1983

Old Fart and an Aggie
Reaction score
Handicap
7 ish
I currently play with a Titleist 917D2 10.5 degree driver and play it okay with an average of 284 yards but I am pining for a TaylorMade M5 Tour driver in place of the Titleist. This would be the only club in my bag that is not a Titleist so I kind of feel like I need to step out of my fanboy comfort zone. Any thoughts on this from your perspective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First of all, 284 is way better than OK.

Secondly (here comes the talking out of,) for the price of an M5 you can buy:

10+ rounds of golf
50+ six packs of beer
2 bottles of Dom Perignon 1996
15 tanks of gas
Season tickets to A&M games (because they're pretty cheap right now, I imagine :p)
75+ sandwiches
1.5 pairs of Bose i700 headphones
1+ round trip ticket to Paris
1 cool new putter
A Kia

Can't do it. I have the M5 and it's wonderful. I'm not playing the Tour version, but I can't imagine it's that much less forgiving than the standard version.

If we can ever hook up for a round, I'll let you hit my M5 and you'll be sold.

If we can ever hook up for a round, I'll let you hit my M5 and you'll be sold.

We have got to FINALLY get together! We are maybe ten minutes apart? I wish you could have made it to The Territory but we have got to go next year, it is fantastic!

10+ rounds of golf
50+ six packs of beer
15 tanks of gas
Season tickets to A&M games (because they're pretty cheap right now, I imagine :p)
75+ sandwiches
1 cool new putter
A Kia

You were okay until the tickets to the A&M games

I will buy you a TaylorMade driver if I can have 284 yard driving distance average!

The only other thing I can say is to save $250 and buy a brand new Ben Hogan GS53 driver.

We have got to FINALLY get together! We are maybe ten minutes apart? I wish you could have made it to The Territory but we have got to go next year, it is fantastic!

10 minutes? Maybe in my Cobra with no red lights and no cops. Otherwise, give me at least 20 and maybe 25-30.

We can figure out something. Even if it's your home course, Kickingbird, Hefner, or some other local course.

15 tanks of gas
75+ sandwiches
1 cool new putter
A Kia

I am dying over here :ROFLMAO: 75+sandwiches or a Kia. I will never look at golf purchases the same. The value ratio on the sandwiches has me drooling.

I won’t attempt to talk you out of it.

I’ll only offer personal experience. I’ve found it to be way more Indian and less arrow. I went nuts 2017-2018 on equipment. I bought one of everything. Two of some. 284 is great. Will you get 10+ yards more actual distance? Will you hit more FW’s? If the answer to both is definitive to the positive, go for it. If it’s not, stay away. I played most of my lifetime golf with a set of Tour Model 4 irons, 3-PW. Basically Eye 2 copies. I was a +2 with them. I now play the latest and greatest to about a 15HC.

If you're pining for a new driver and your going to pay full price there is no reason to just buy an M5. Go get fit and buy whatever you hit the best. It may be an M5, but it might be something else.

Nothing to talk out of IMO. TM makes great drivers, if it ends up working for you, it works.

From my personal experience, I found the M5 to be dreadful, but that was how I felt about it

It might be different for you

1st reply was great, lol. I'm not going to try to talk you out of M5, in fact I want one too. But maybe I can help convince you to go a little cheaper route first just to see (M3/4).

Just like any driver, how you hit M5 will all comes down to how the design aspects fit you and your typical misses. My trouble miss with everything is a hook. Especially those lazy flippy little driver toe hooks when swing gets out of sync.

Before buying my current driver (M3) I put everything to the test for a couple months. Test rounds, independent trackman fittings, numerous outdoor range sessions comparing several excellent options. My pro even got involved, going over my results and then taking me out to a tee with my top 3 candidates and a few dozen balls. He's affiliated with a rival brand but agreed Twist Face provided such a major advantage (distance and dispersion) on my misses that it was hands down my best option. (M5 wasn't out yet). There are going to be some that Twist Face hurts but the tech is one of the major reasons I've played the best golf of my life since buying that driver. Dispersion much tighter, FW% way up, average distance up a little, penalties incurred with driver down almost four fold, and I never thought I'd sniff single digits much less actually get there.

M5 could be a poor choice for you or an excellent one? Regardless, Gig Em Aggies!

Last edited:
I don't know what it was about the M3, but it didn't do anything for me. I read somewhere that the M5 is 70% more forgiving than the M3 and it's 100% more forgiving than the M1. I moved to the M5 from an M1 440 and it's night and day. If you square the face, you can hit it anywhere and it stays playable.

I can't comment on the M5, but I play the M6 D-Type and it the best TM driver I've ever played. Everything else in my bag is Cleveland. Demo it and then accept the change;)

I don't know what it was about the M3, but it didn't do anything for me. I read somewhere that the M5 is 70% more forgiving than the M3 and it's 100% more forgiving than the M1. I moved to the M5 from an M1 440 and it's night and day. If you square the face, you can hit it anywhere and it stays playable.
Agreed, M3 has been great for me but M5 is consistently better whenever I compare them. That's why I want one so bad. Price slash season is looming(y)

First off - boooooo to @Space Bandito for trashing my aggies :)

Second, I am loving my M5 and kind of wish I would have opted for the M5 Tour driver. Trying new equipment is part of the fun of this game and if you don't like it, I bet someone here would buy you 65 sandwiches in exchange for it. So you are really only risking 10 or so sandwiches ;)

10+ rounds of golf
50+ six packs of beer
15 tanks of gas
75+ sandwiches
1 cool new putter
A Kia

You win. LMAO a Kia.

Taylormade drives are great some guys I played with a couple of weekends ago were mashing theirs.

Back