Tall person, short putter?

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Any taller guys prefer a shorter putter?

I’ve been having some issues with my putting over the last few months and I was at a loss so I thought back to a time I thought I was putting well. The best time I recall was with a 34”, so I measured an inch off my current 35” putter and started choking down. Like clockwork, things improved. I’m not sure why or how, but I’m curious if I’m alone.

Well a tall guy like me uses a 33.5-34 putter. Sometimes dabble with 33.

Not sure what constitutes as tall, but I'm 6' and like a 33" putter. I have a couple 34" ones and I end up choking down.

6'4, 34" choked down on a bunch

Tall guy, long arms.

I see far more tall golfers using a shorter putter than a tall golfer in an upright stance.
The putter stroke is so unique to each golfer that you'll get a million opinions on this.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I'm not super tall (6') but I have a 6'5" wingspan. I have found way more success with a shorter putter. I use a 33" and have thought of even trying shorter. Longer putters I feel like my elbows are at my chest and the club is flailing about. Shorter club is mich easier to control.

I'm 6'1 and at one point used a 33 inch putter. I thought I did pretty well with it but I was told by the experts I should be using something longer. I've been told both 34 and 35 inches. Either one feels fine but I'm not sure I putt better with one or the other. I actually kind of like the feel of the more upright putting posture.

I’ve dabbled a bit. Even though I tend to choke down on my 35, the shorter putter seems well, short. Initially I putted well with the shorter putter but it didn’t last. I’ve recently gone back to a putter I bought a year ago but had not played.

6'2" and use a 34" putter. Have got a 35" one too. Not sure I can go any lower than 34"

I think, as some have suggested, that proper putter length is a function of the distance from the ground to the putter’s hands while the putter is in his/her stance. The distance is affected by height, the stance (upright or more like Nicklaus‘), and The length of the putter’s arms. Long arms may dictate a shorter putter, even with a taller person.

Frankly it depends on arm length and posture. If you have long arms a shorter putter can make sense.

6’4 with a 33.5” putter.

Let marms hang naturally and I feel better short and heavier with the time putter.

This thread is making me rethink everything in my life and I love it.

Currently I switch between:

Evnroll ER5 385g w SS 3.0 w 75gram CounterCore or
Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab - 20g w/ 10g Leadtape w SS 3.0 and 75g Counter Core

Both are 33.5”

I recall reading a couple years ago that the average putter length on tour was 33.5” and average height was 6’2”? Most tour pros let their arms hang totally loose, not straight but almost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall reading a couple years ago that the average putter length on tour was 33.5” and average height was 6’2”? Most tour pros let their arms hang totally loose, not straight but almost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This makes a lot of sense and I really wish I had committed to a shorter putter earlier.

6’2” and prefer 34. I Hague dabbled a few times with 33 and was ok with it. I actually think I may have putted better with it.

but practicing was a bit painful..

6’6” and I use a 35” putter, choked down a bit. My previous putter was a belly putter I had cut down to about 38 or 39”.

I have the newer Ping Anser adjustable putter and having some fun playing around with the length. I started at 341/4 and working down, currently im at 331/4 and may go a little shorter.

I'm 6'1 and I use a 32 inch putter. It is about how you setup not just how tall or arm length. My arms are not overly long nor am I bent over much. My stroke has a relatively straight and rigid left arm similar to my setup on a SW. My right hand just overlaps my left in a prayer grip and as result I don't need to bend over. My left shoulder and arm move back in a 1pc fashion. the right hand just supports the stroke but is passive

I’d say find a way to get fit.

Im 6’3 and was fit to 35.5

Back