Tall with long arms....

D.Witt

Reaction score
I've been golfing now for about 5 years. I'm 6'1 and have pretty long arms. I've never been fitted for clubs but everyone tells me I should get fitted for longer than normal clubs. The fact is I feel the opposite, I feel like I need shorter clubs because of my long arms and choking down on the club is far more comfortable and athletic feeling vs gripping at the "normal" hand position. Is this normal ?? Anyone ever heard of long armed golfers geting shorter shafts?

I've been golfing now for about 5 years. I'm 6'1 and have pretty long arms. I've never been fitted for clubs but everyone tells me I should get fitted for longer than normal clubs. The fact is I feel the opposite, I feel like I need shorter clubs because of my long arms and choking down on the club is far more comfortable and athletic feeling vs gripping at the "normal" hand position. Is this normal ?? Anyone ever heard of long armed golfers geting shorter shafts?

This is me. I tend to choke up a lot, and can get good club head speed out of it. As for the fitting, let the pros decide what you need. I imagine any good fitter will listen to you and your preferences and take that into consideration.

I am 5'9 with long legs and a shorter torso - I play 1/2" long irons...

It really varies from person to person and you won't know till you go and get fit...

Sure. And truthfully there is more to it than height and arm length. At the end of the day, comfort is key.

This is me. I tend to choke up a lot, and can get good club head speed out of it. As for the fitting, let the pros decide what you need. I imagine any good fitter will listen to you and your preferences and take that into consideration.

I've found my club head speed and the speed of my hip turn all increased when I choke down on the club. But you're right, when I get fitted I'll trust the fitter with what I've found success in.

Sure. And truthfully there is more to it than height and arm length. At the end of the day, comfort is key.

Yes, and it is far more comfortable !!! I definitely believe in the good ole "swing your swing", but just wasn't sure if my comfort was abnormal.

Keegan Bradley, DJ and Mward* come to mind. All are tall and play standard length clubs.

why the *? lol

Play what feels comfortable.

The fitter should give you the proper length for your body but if you have a reason for wanting them to a bit shorter I don't see a problem with that. Some people like clubs shorter because they feel they will swing down more with them. Longer that what the fitter says, IMO, would probably be less preferred unless you like to choke down on the club.

Your height isn't really what the fitter looks for when fitting. They will measure your wrist to floor to see what length the club should be. So if you are very long in the arms you could actually need shorter than standard clubs.

I'm in the exact same boat. I am 6'1" as well and normally play everything at -.25" to -.5" in length. I am playing my current irons with graphite shafts at standard length, but my lies are all 2* flat.

take your missed shots into consideration. are you topping the ball a lot? or hitting it fat?

I think a lot has to do with stance as well. do you have much angle between your arms and club shaft? or are they more inline with each other? every swing is different. a good fitter will notice your swing characteristics and point you in the right direction for clubs or mods.

Back