TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I'I hitting high on the face more often than center, which lowers spin compared to centered impact. So theoretically hitting more centered is going to increase my spin, and by as much as 500 rpms.

driverspin

Orange Strike

Spin Rate - 3252 Launch Angle - 7.5 Total Distance - 256.5 Club Speed - 103.6

Green Strike

Spin Rate - 2623 Launch Angle - 9.6 Total Distance - 269.5 Club Speed - 102.9

Blue Strike

Spin Rate - 1928 Launch Angle - 10.9 Total Distance - 274.6 Club Speed - 103.1

Thanks for sharing. Your pic/number post does a great job simplifying things as they relate to changes in vertical face impact.

Nice post there CRW.
It's amazing how sometimes the real key to "high launch - low spin" is just finding that sweet spot a little higher on the face.

The thing i could think of that attribute to that effect would be the aoa relative to the face contact, as the loft is greater the higher the face contact, if you have even more of a negative aoa I believe the high face contact will overcome the loft and actually increase spin relative to the center.

However, that's great information that you have there, wouldn't think it to be the case without the launch monitors.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Just To clarify those aren't my hits, they are from a study on impact/spin with a driver.

And I could definitely see different AOA's altering the spin some and launch angle. I found one study where a guy intentionally went from a -5 AOA to +3-5* to +8 and only saw a difference on average of 300 rpms (but some big outliers of high spin at each AOA). With some shots in each AOA range having similar spin. I'm guessing it's possible that what little spin difference seen was more due to impact location and less to due AOA.

Just To clarify those aren't my hits, they are from a study on impact/spin with a driver.

And I could definitely see different AOA's altering the spin and launch angle.
Definitely noticed the club face and it not being a m1. :)

However the information is nonetheless illuminating. ?

And I could definitely see different AOA's altering the spin some and launch angle. I found one study where a guy intentionally went from a -5 AOA to +3-5* to +8 and only saw a difference on average of 300 rpms (but some big outliers of high spin at each AOA). With some shots in each AOA range having similar spin. I'm guessing it's possible that what little spin difference seen was more due to impact location and less to due AOA.
While that can certainly be true, I hesitate to think it applies to all drivers, especially given the difference in materials and cg.

I've not seen the study so i don't know the parameters and whether or not it was controlled with other factors and confirmed with different subjects.

I'm more leaning on the positive aoa and yardage trackman study that showed positive aoa and (hence?) lower spin leads to greater distance, if the location of the face contact has a greater effect, then it would seem that changing aoa isn't all that important?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I think changing the AOA is important. However, I think the studies show that hitting up 3-5* isn't going to be an end all to troubles if you mis-hit in too bad of a location on the face.

Hi guys, a quick question. Is there any different between a m1 10.5 loft head with standard loft setting and a 9.5 loft with adjustments? I bought a used 9.5 head and adjusted the loft 2 notches higher trying to bring it to 10.5 which is my normal loft for drivers. Does it really mean the same thing?

Hi guys, a quick question. Is there any different between a m1 10.5 loft head with standard loft setting and a 9.5 loft with adjustments? I bought a used 9.5 head and adjusted the loft 2 notches higher trying to bring it to 10.5 which is my normal loft for drivers. Does it really mean the same thing?

By adding the loft you will close the face. Not sure how closed it will be compared to a 10.5 head though.

I've had more time to get use to this driver and it's definitely better than what I was playing before, but getting the shaft tipped an inch wasn't enough to lower the launch/peak height to optimize the club for good hits. Specifically it's still crazy high (up to 50 yards) and not getting as much roll out as I think it's capable off with the right numbers.

I've ordered a MFS black tie 70M4 and plan to get on Flightscope in the next week or so with my instructor see which is better (Black Tie or Kuro Kage) and get it adjusted to the best settings for me.

I got to spend some time with the black tie on the range this evening and I'm kicking myself for not trying this shaft sooner. It was night and day different from the similar weight Kuro Kage shaft. With the KK I was seeing up to 50 yards peak height and the Matrix couldn't have been more than 40 yards judging by eyeing the ballflight. I didn't hit any on a monitor today though. The ballspeed and spin have to be much better because I was carrying past a ranged 270 yard post. The wind really started picking up to 15+ mph with a cold front coming through and I was able to still carry beyond a 250 yard post directly into the wind.

I've felt like the club was a little head heavy so I checked it and found the swing weight was D6 with the black tie. From the factory it's supposed to be D5 and the factory shaft and the black tie are both 77 grams uncut. I also noticed that I'm hitting consistently slightly heal side of center. I regularly missed off the toe with my previous driver that was cut to play at 44.5". Since the M1 is cut to play at 45.5" I think I'm going to cut .25"-.5" off to see if that helps with centered contact. The black tie came with a standard size UTX grip and I play Tour velvet midsize. So between the cut and grip I may alter the swing weight slightly but I should still be fine since it's currently a little heavy. My last driver was set up at D2.

Overall I'm very happy with the new shaft. I haven't had a chance to set up time on a monitor because it's going to be wet and cold this weekend. So hopefully in another week I'll have some numbers to share.

Last edited:
I picked up a M1 with the rogue 70x shaft to try out in the off season. I dunno, compared to my G30 it lacks feel and pop. G30 is also way more forgiving. Since the R9, all TM drivers have felt like composite baseball bats to me. My g30 I can feel exactly where the Ball contacts the face and I can feel the face compress the ball. With the M1 it just feels meh.

Need to try it out a bit more but I think my g30 will be safe again this year. Maybe seee if I can get a G on a trade.

Picked up an M1 yesterday on eBay for $250 USD, stock Fujikura Pro 60 X-Flex shaft. Can't wait for this bad boy to come in so I can smash some balls into my net.

Wondering if any M1 users had kept their Fukikura shaft? I've tested it at Golf Town and had some decent numbers, but I'm wondering what the go-to shaft is for the M1?

I dunno, compared to my G30 it lacks feel and pop. G30 is also way more forgiving.

I've never hit a single Ping club so I can't compare. I feel like the M1 feels/sounds better than my previous driver - Titleist 915D2.

Wondering if any M1 users had kept their Fukikura shaft? I've tested it at Golf Town and had some decent numbers, but I'm wondering what the go-to shaft is for the M1?

I think that's way too much of an individual swing/fit issue. The stock shaft is horrible for me, but was probably great for others.

Fuji

Fuji

Picked up an M1 yesterday on eBay for $250 USD, stock Fujikura Pro 60 X-Flex shaft. Can't wait for this bad boy to come in so I can smash some balls into my net.

I started with the Fuji 70 in X. I loved the feel but it spun too much for me - the launch was good but with the higher spin it would climb to a very high apex and then just fall out of the sky. With the Rogue Silver it climbs quicker but seems to stay out there longer, has more roll out and 800-900 rpms less spin. Again that is just my experience.

Thanks to the weather I haven't had the chance to get on FlightScope at my club yet, but I cannot believe how great the M1/Black Tie combo is for me. I played 9 holes with my 9 year old (from 150 yards), but hit driver on 2 holes just for fun. I tend to over draw or hook every driver shot on course so I set up towards the right side of the fairway on the first hole and hit dead straight. I actually hit the top of a tall pine on the right side of the fairway and the ball dropped straight down. I lasered the distance from the ball back to the tee box and it was 250 yards. Had I hit straight it was easily a 270+ carry (which is what I've been shooting for now for 2 years). I've had the club speed, and a decent swing, but not the right equipment. I aimed straight on the second shot and carried right at 270, but the fairway was muddy and I got about 3 feet of forward movement from where the ball hit. I think it probably bounced once and stopped. I'm very excited about this setup and can't wait to see if I can squeeze any more out of the club once I get on a monitor and possibly make some adjustments to the head settings.

Thanks to the weather I haven't had the chance to get on FlightScope at my club yet, but I cannot believe how great the M1/Black Tie combo is for me. I played 9 holes with my 9 year old (from 150 yards), but hit driver on 2 holes just for fun. I tend to over draw or hook every driver shot on course so I set up towards the right side of the fairway on the first hole and hit dead straight. I actually hit the top of a tall pine on the right side of the fairway and the ball dropped straight down. I lasered the distance from the ball back to the tee box and it was 250 yards. Had I hit straight it was easily a 270+ carry (which is what I've been shooting for now for 2 years). I've had the club speed, and a decent swing, but not the right equipment. I aimed straight on the second shot and carried right at 270, but the fairway was muddy and I got about 3 feet of forward movement from where the ball hit. I think it probably bounced once and stopped. I'm very excited about this setup and can't wait to see if I can squeeze any more out of the club once I get on a monitor and possibly make some adjustments to the head settings.
Good to hear you have found a combo that works for you. I'm really liking my M1/AD-DI 6 combo right now. Can't see it changing anytime soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I spent some time on FlightScope 2 weeks ago with my instructor and still found that the spin was higher than I wanted and costing me ball speed with the M1/70M4 combo. It occurred even on near centered strikes with good path/face angle and positive AOA numbers. So I ordered an 8M3 shaft to try and got to test it and set it up with the help of Trackman today at a Club champion fitting I went through. I learned a ton about the current state of my swing but will write more on that in a fitting thread.

Long story short, we made some adjustments and I was able to get some really good numbers. 40 yards of carry and reasonable spin.

C20F8DCC-61B2-4F14-B12A-E3E272AE27A6_zpszln8b6y6.jpg

So I was doing my golftec lesson and we broke out the driver for part of it and the numbers I was getting really show me how crazy good this driver is for me.

Hit a few drives that went over 300 yards (carried ~270) with a nice low spin rate. Average was 260 and that's with some really bad topped drives bringing down the average since we were working on a few things.

Even after a year I have to say I still really like this driver

It happened.

My ultimate driver bit the dust. High toe ball ... big dent. Likely from a near frozen golf ball.

Any chance of a TM warranty at this point? Should I even call TMCS? I see the warranty is 2 years from purchase date. :beat-up:

It happened.

My ultimate driver bit the dust. High toe ball ... big dent. Likely from a near frozen golf ball.

Any chance of a TM warranty at this point? Should I even call TMCS? I see the warranty is 2 years from purchase date. :beat-up:

No chance, but worth the call either way. Get on ebay and look for some M1 heads, surely there will be a few

No chance, but worth the call either way. Get on ebay and look for some M1 heads, surely there will be a few

TM CS is so good!

Very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back