TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

Those of you playing the P790s... Are you carrying the 4 iron? If so, does it fill a gap well? I see that it is only 2 and a half degrees stronger than the 5 iron and one half inch longer. Given the greater difficulty in hitting longer irons, I wonder if there would be hardly any difference between the 4 iron and the 5 iron distance-wise.

Played another round today with these heads with the 110 F5 Recoil combination and I’ll say these are some very pretty irons.

Shots hit square on the face have a great sound, feel and the distance is fantastic. The top line does not look bulky at all. It definitely inspires confidence at address.

I hit them pretty poor to start my round but I’ll admit, my swing felt a little out of sorts at first. Later in the round my swing came around a little more and I saw some more positive results with a nice piercing trajectory when hit well. Balls held the line pretty well without a ton of movement and that is with a lot of wind the last two days.

One thing I’ll mention from yesterday is I took them by Dicks to show a friend and he took one swing in our sim and immediately said wow these are a club to a club and a half longer for me. They feel great and not real bulky he said, as he plays a more traditional players type iron.

Overall I’m excited to get some more swings in with these and see the continued results and consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do they feel compared to your Z565's? Seems like you're seeing more distance, just curious which ones feel better - because you were hitting some good iron shots when I played with you.

How do they feel compared to your Z565's? Seems like you're seeing more distance, just curious which ones feel better - because you were hitting some good iron shots when I played with you.

Shots hit square I would rate the same. However, shots that are hit towards the toe or heel do not feel as bad with the P790s. I’m not sure if it’s those heads or if it’s my new Recoil shafts. I tend to lend towards the recoils but I’m really not sure.

The feedback is still good regardless and I can tell where I’m missing the ball on the face. And that’s always a good thing.

Overall I’m still in the getting used to phase with the irons. I’ve hit some really good shots with them but as I’ve admitted, my swing was off a little this weekend so I’m anxious to get some swings Wednesday night in the sim and then play this weekend.

Shots hit square I would rate the same. However, shots that are hit towards the toe or heel do not feel as bad with the P790s. I’m not sure if it’s those heads or if it’s my new Recoil shafts. I tend to lend towards the recoils but I’m really not sure.

The feedback is still good regardless and I can tell where I’m missing the ball on the face. And that’s always a good thing.

Overall I’m still in the getting used to phase with the irons. I’ve hit some really good shots with them but as I’ve admitted, my swing was off a little this weekend so I’m anxious to get some swings Wednesday night in the sim and then play this weekend.

My guess would be the shafts as well. The feel and feedback are the most impressive part of the SMACWRAP shafts for me.

Either way I hope you hit em well! Congrats on the sweet sticks!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

High, long and straight are the best words to describe these monsters. The top line isn't as thick as people may think, but they're beautiful standing over the ball. Confidence of a GA iron with the feel of a players iron. Cliche, but they're right.

Hit these tonight all I can say is wow!!! The DG 105 S300 shaft is a beast I need these irons asap!
Ive always loved DG shafts but find them a touch heavy(tired) by the end of the round, the 105s still come out mid but stay flat but spin more than enough for me!

Last edited:
Hit these tonight all I can say is wow!!! The DG 105 S300 shaft is a beast I need these irons asap!
Ive always loved DG shafts but find them a touch heavy(tired) by the end of the round, the 105s still come out mid but stay flat but spin more than enough for me!

Try those new SMAC wraps by UST.

I'm still playing Calloway XR Pros and love them. Can anyone compare these two who has any experience with both? Still love my current set but these are very intriguing.

Hit these for the first time tonight and was so impressed. Was in getting a golf lesson and my pro who is sponsored by Mizuno told me to try them. He loved them so much he’s getting a set. My ball speed jumped up 10mph and that was on my poorest strikes. Was hitting on GC Quad so very accurate. Liked them that much I’m getting booked in for a fitting. IMO they feel better than the PXG I’ve tried plus at less than half the price it’s a no brainer.

I don’t know why but I want the P-790s in a bad way. I was at the store and they look dang good in person.

I don’t know why but I want the P-790s in a bad way. I was at the store and they look dang good in person.

These looks of these really impressed me. They aren’t thick at the top line in my opinion and they do give confidence at address which is important.

I spent some time with my 7 iron in the sim tonight and the balls just rockets off the face. Smooth feel. I get great feedback as to where I hit the ball on the face and one of the things I noticed tonight that was with off center hits I was still getting really good distance in comparison to my more solid strikes.

This is a great offering from TaylorMade.

I must be getting serious about buying these...my local golf shop that does high business quoted me 187.50 a club for p790 with recoil shafts....anyone know a place where I can order for a better price???...my go to online guy doesnt carry Callaway or TM anymore.

I must be getting serious about buying these...my local golf shop that does high business quoted me 187.50 a club for p790 with recoil shafts....anyone know a place where I can order for a better price???...my go to online guy doesnt carry Callaway or TM anymore.

Maybe Morton’s golf sales? Seannie there may be able to work you a deal, they are great to work with.

Just bought 4-AW with recoils..wont get them for a week...will give detailed review once I have them in hand...went bit lighter than I wanted to in the shaft by 10 grams but don't think it will make much of a difference...got the smacwrap version recoils...got great deal as it was used one time on indoor range only...tried to order from dealer yesterday but they are on backorder until December so didn't.

Just bought 4-AW with recoils..wont get them for a week...will give detailed review once I have them in hand...went bit lighter than I wanted to in the shaft by 10 grams but don't think it will make much of a difference...got the smacwrap version recoils...got great deal as it was used one time on indoor range only...tried to order from dealer yesterday but they are on backorder until December so didn't.

How did they compare to your CF16s?

Well I hit the CF16 and p790 with recoils 780 in hitting bay with trackman but on a real range off of mats.

The CF16 was 3 yards longer but the dispersion wasn't nearly as tight...they also went more left...whereas the p790 were super consistent...I have never clustered 7 irons that closely together in my life...they were about 5-10 yards longer than my current CF16's with KBS tour 90 steel shafts.

I decided to buy the p790 for several reasons....one, they are really consistent and super straight, balls just exploded off the club, had a higher ball flight, had better feel on my heel and toe shots but still super forgiving, are new technology/models so not likely to get replaced anytime soon whereas CF16 will prob get replaced by the spring.

Last but not least, they look awesome as far as aesthetics...bext looking clubs Ive seen in awhile...when you look down it doesn't scare you like AP2 club would and it inspires a lot of confidence.

My only concern is that because of the deal I got, I have recoil 760 smacwraps instead of the 780 recoils I was hitting on the range...760's are approx 10 grams lighter than 780 so I am hoping I don't notice that difference much.

How did they compare to your CF16s?

10g lighter? I’d say you’ll have a little better feel of the head of the club. Also, might help with swing speed as well.

Well I hit the CF16 and p790 with recoils 780 in hitting bay with trackman but on a real range off of mats.

The CF16 was 3 yards longer but the dispersion wasn't nearly as tight...they also went more left...whereas the p790 were super consistent...I have never clustered 7 irons that closely together in my life...they were about 5-10 yards longer than my current CF16's with KBS tour 90 steel shafts.

I decided to buy the p790 for several reasons....one, they are really consistent and super straight, balls just exploded off the club, had a higher ball flight, had better feel on my heel and toe shots but still super forgiving, are new technology/models so not likely to get replaced anytime soon whereas CF16 will prob get replaced by the spring.

Last but not least, they look awesome as far as aesthetics...bext looking clubs Ive seen in awhile...when you look down it doesn't scare you like AP2 club would and it inspires a lot of confidence.

My only concern is that because of the deal I got, I have recoil 760 smacwraps instead of the 780 recoils I was hitting on the range...760's are approx 10 grams lighter than 780 so I am hoping I don't notice that difference much.
I'm glad you love them but this pushed me over the top, my club has a set with px shafts in them , someone changed there mind, im going to pick them up Monday, smh and i loved my irons to but u have to scratch that itch, also if those shafts do not work out for you lmk i will probably buy them from you and do the swap for you for free also

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Placed an order today, I’m standard everything which is great with DG 105R shafts. Like everyone keeps saying they do give confidence at address. I don’t like a thick top line but what usually goes with this is unforgiving irons but these have forgiveness in abundance.
My coach has gone from MP4’s with X shafts to the regulars in these irons, he feels so much better and his performance backs that up.

Change in plans for me, I saw that at my club they had the TM cart and had the p790 head with recoil 760 F3 shaft...as soon as I picked it up I noticed right away it felt really light...much lighter than the 780 shaft...went to UST site and they are 14 grams apart and I could easily tell every gram of the difference.

On Trackman, I was spraying the p790 much more with this shaft and it wasn't a consistent miss(some push faded and some hooked)...but before I swung this club I hit my CF16 7 iron and was consistently hitting it fairly straight.

My swing speed was only 2 mph faster with the 760 shaft and distance only a few yards further when compared to my reg 7 iron.

Luckily the ebay seller let me reverse the auction but it cost me 50.00...lesson learned, never buy clubs without hitting them first!

Will search for iron set with the 780's only from now on.

Bottom line, the recoil 760 68 gram shaft too light for me...felt like I was losing control...the 780 at 82 grams shaft feels much better.

Hoping my club has these on the fitting cart this weekend. Really want to hit the 790

Now lets take a look at the TM p790 vs the PXG 0311XF

View attachment 29640

Note the P790 has more spin than in the latest prior video. Michael says likely moisture created less spin in the first video and hence less spin.
Still less spin than the P730 and the 0311XF in both instances.
Very much same peak height and trajectory and descent angles.

No free lunch...with the 10 yards longer carry in the P790 you get less spin and that goes for all of the "distance" irons. Spin is the controlling factor in these irons. Even the 0311XF had about 300 rpm more spin with similar numbers elsewhere.

If spin is not important compared to the extra yards these distance irons can be fine........but if you are firing at tight, tucked pins on firm greens...well you know the answer.

Is 5% difference in spin really going to matter? I suspect that is well within the normal swing variance most people will see from swing to swing, in which case I'm not sure its a reason to shy away from a club.

Back