TaylorMade P730 and P790 Irons

Is 5% difference in spin really going to matter? I suspect that is well within the normal swing variance most people will see from swing to swing, in which case I'm not sure its a reason to shy away from a club.

The difference between the P730 and P790 is more than 5%....anywhere from 1200 to 500 rpms out of 6900...do the math.... 7% - 17% and to someone needing that ball to stop it is definitely worth it.

The difference between the P730 and P790 is more than 5%....anywhere from 1200 to 500 rpms out of 6900...do the math.... 7% - 17% and to someone needing that ball to stop it is definitely worth it.

The 730 and 790 aren’t even comparable clubs, so I’m confused why the data is even being compared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the 730s a few days ago. Beautiful clubs, and on solid strikes sounded/felt fantastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The 730 and 790 aren’t even comparable clubs, so I’m confused why the data is even being compared.

That is what this Thread is about?
So, lets look at what the differences in performance between the two are....a blade with high spin vs a distance iron.
Now we can see with real data what the trade-offs are between the two.

Hope that helps.

The first picture shows the 730 with 167 carry, 170 total distance. 3 yards roll out.

The second picture shows the 790 with 177 carry, 180 total distance. 3 yards roll out.

So 10 extra yards and the same projected roll out with a 7i. I am not trying to argue with you, but I just don't see where the 790 is so much worse for tucked pins. It actually looks like the opposite to me - performance in all other categories looks to be about the same so why not take the extra yardage? (other than feel)

I would not use the "expected" rollout from a monitor....fact is it is significant less spin. That is important to some depending upon the shot.
Less spin with same angle of descent should produce more roll.

The first picture shows the 730 with 167 carry, 170 total distance. 3 yards roll out.

The second picture shows the 790 with 177 carry, 180 total distance. 3 yards roll out.

So 10 extra yards and the same projected roll out with a 7i. I am not trying to argue with you, but I just don't see where the 790 is so much worse for tucked pins. It actually looks like the opposite to me - performance in all other categories looks to be about the same so why not take the extra yardage? (other than feel)
I might also add that with a set of P790's you might be hitting a club less (8i for P790 vs. 7i for P730) based on carry/total distance figures...so what is the rpm comparisons there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I might also add that with a set of P790's you might be hitting a club less (8i for P790 vs. 7i for P730) based on carry/total distance figures...so what is the rpm comparisons there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very good point!
That is one of the pluses for the "distance" irons.

While the spin is less iron vs iron, ie 7 irons, essentially you are getting a +/- 6 iron distance, 6 iron spin BUT 7 iron height with that 7 iron.
So, perhaps one club less will work, ie 8 iron instead of 7 iron. The P790 8 iron will be closer in spin but still not quite as good as a P730 7 iron, but it will have higher height and perhaps a little shorter in distance.

So, now we have that "distance" 8 iron that goes as far as a 7 iron, spins like a 7 iron but has the height of an eight iron.
What about the PW, 9, etc. all one club longer! What about the short end....do we need to add another wedge to make up for the distance gap? And get rid of a longer iron?

Is there really any value to be gained?

So, now we have that "distance" 8 iron that goes as far as a 7 iron, spins like a 7 iron but has the height of an eight iron.
What about the PW, 9, etc. all one club longer! What about the short end....do we need to add another wedge to make up for the distance gap? And get rid of a longer iron?

That depends, does the club hit the target the user is seeking.

Otherwise all the debate about jacked lofts and wedges is irrelevant.

Had my best round with these today. The forgiveness on the face is really incredible. Distance is really consistent no matter where you miss-hit it at.

Overall, I hit the center of the face a lot today and the feel is pretty damn good.

Had my best round with these today. The forgiveness on the face is really incredible. Distance is really consistent no matter where you miss-hit it at.

Overall, I hit the center of the face a lot today and the feel is pretty damn good.

How was your ball flight? Liked your distance control? Can’t wait to get them out tomorrow

Yeah, ball flight seems lower to the naked eye. I made comment of it today.

Two shots that stick out to me.

Hole 12: Had 179 into the wind. Not a lot of wind but enough you could feel it. I played my 185 club and carried it 2-3 yards long of the flag.

Hole 18: Again a pretty decent wind into my face. I had 170 to the flag stick. Hit it pin high to the left of the stick. Roughly 20 feet or so.

Felt good today.

I had another hit with the 790 7i at a demo day today on an outdoor range. I hit it miles better than i did in the net at a local shop. I tried it with the recoil 780 and the lighter swing weight worked a lot better. Heaps of great shots and they felt nicer too. Still not as good as as a forged iron but a better feel than i remembered. Look sooooo good tho.

Hit the 790s today at PGA. They went a lot higher and about 10 yards farthe than my current Cf16s and felt really nice off the center of the face. Downside is off center hits mainly toe side for me felt a lot more harsh than my CF16s. Also I don’t beleive I would truly have a distance gain once I was able to get the spin up a bit.

Have to say wow going with the Cf16, F5, and P790 on the range today (and went with same lofts). All had recoil f4 (minor differences in type of recoil but still). P790 launched the highest, had best dispersion, and went the farthest. I need to get the spin numbers but I was very impressed. The price tag is holding me up a bit but they are great clubs.

How can losing a long iron and gaining a wedge be construed as a bad thing? The more scoring irons the better, imo. I know myself and most people hit wedges much better than 3 or 4 irons.

How can losing a long iron and gaining a wedge be construed as a bad thing? The more scoring irons the better, imo. I know myself and most people hit wedges much better than 3 or 4 irons.
The problem is that ypu actually lost a wedge since the pw now is a 9 iron in distance, and now you must add another wedge to offset that fact.
The only advantage is the gain in launch height for that pw, which can be also be accomplished with a change in shaft.

Not sure I see much advantage at least for me.
I talked to someone who sold his p790 as he said ...they were too long!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The problem is that ypu actually lost a wedge since the pw now is a 9 iron in distance, and now you must add another wedge to offset that fact.
The only advantage is the gain in launch height for that pw, which can be also be accomplished with a change in shaft.

but if that’s true, then you may not need as many long irons. so you buy one fewer iron (maybe 5-pw instead of 4-pw) and buy another wedge instead. i’ve done it with both of my last sets and it has worked perfectly. both times i have games a “set” gap wedge at 50* and a “specialty” gap wedge also at 50*. as long as the gapping works that’s all that matters.

but if that’s true, then you may not need as many long irons. so you buy one fewer iron (maybe 5-pw instead of 4-pw) and buy another wedge instead. i’ve done it with both of my last sets and it has worked perfectly. both times i have games a “set” gap wedge at 50* and a “specialty” gap wedge also at 50*. as long as the gapping works that’s all that matters.

I think that new 5-pw is actually a 4-9, and as a result, like you did you need to add a wedge, ie gap to make up for that gap that fills the pw slot.
I frankly dont see the value over my 4-pw set as the result is the same.

But whatever works is why we try various clubs and each of us must decide by trying.

Best,
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Talked to my pro at the range yesterday - he reps Taylormade & was hitting a demo 7i P790 but had a lesson starting. When I got home I texted him & asked him what he thought. His response:
Very impressed! After seven years I may finally break down and get a set.

I had another solid day with my 790s. Hit some really nice shots. Had 146 into hole 7. Landed it a yard from the hole and it released out some to about 10-12 feet.

The more I play these the more I like them. Getting more and more comfortable and trusting each round.

Had a pretty disappointing first home nine with these on Sunday - full disclosure, though, I couldn’t really hit anything aside from my CBX wedges. I did notice above average distance on really thin, low shots off of the face - man, I hate having to even mention that!

I continue to struggle with hitting the mid irons low, but i did have a really nice 6 iron into a par three that needs to carry about 185.
When these are struck flush, holy moly, they feel like butter.

Had a really good range session yesterday, worked on setup and committing to each swing and saw positive results. Don’t know how many more rounds I will get in here as fall arrived with a flourish two days ago, but will keep up with range impressions as well as the shaft up finale.

The recoils continue to impress.

Spoke to the Sales guy at Edwin Watts and he said they cannot keep them in stock and orders were back logged 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back