TaylorMade stock Aldila Rip Shafts anyone?

Hole~Out~1983

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.2
So I have a question For anyone that has an R11 or SF 2.0 with the factory installed Aldila Rip shaft. So I noticed on my driver that the lower third or so of the shaft has like a visible twisting sort of graphite wrapped look to it, if that makes sense. Its like you can see where the graphite was wrapped in the shaft and it just has like a funky little pattern going on. So I was wondering if anyone out there is using this same shaft and knows if that is just a visual effect they purposley put on the shaft or what? And if so is it distracting in the sunlight or do you not notice it when playing? Thanks for any comparisons that anyone can provide.

This is what Im reffering to.

025.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

I haven't used the R11 with the shaft but when I took the 9064LS out for a spin I didn't notice the graphics at all. Most of the graphics on the RIP are pretty muted and fade in the sunlight.

From my understand of playing around with the R11 as well as the shift in colour to the white will force your eye to focus on what your looking at as a whole, meaning you'll have problems picking up individual details like those graphics even if they did stand out.

I haven't used the R11 with the shaft but when I took the 9064LS out for a spin I didn't notice the graphics at all. Most of the graphics on the RIP are pretty muted and fade in the sunlight.

From my understand of playing around with the R11 as well as the shift in colour to the white will force your eye to focus on what your looking at as a whole, meaning you'll have problems picking up individual details like those graphics even if they did stand out.

Thanks for the feedback man, that answered my question perfectly.

I have 2 RIP shafts. One is factory installed in my R11TP, the other is directly from Aldila.
Both have the "unfinished" look on the lower 3rd of the shaft. Can't say I've noticed it
while playing.

Has anyone been playing the RIP in the R11 TP? Which versions? What kind of results are you getting? Anyone been playing the BETA? Which other Aldila models is this shaft comparable to, if any?

Thanks, all, for your input on this and every thread!

Has anyone been playing the RIP in the R11 TP? Which versions? What kind of results are you getting? Anyone been playing the BETA? Which other Aldila models is this shaft comparable to, if any?

R11 and R11 TP are the same head, the shaft is what's different. I'm playing the RIP Beta and couldn't be happier. Mid-to-high, low spin bombs.

Need to hit the R.I.P. in the R11. I think its my favorite shaft out right now.

I noticed that when looking a couple RIP-shafted drivers in the store recently. I think it's a sort of raw, or clear finish that allows you to see the weave of the carbon fiber. Being an Engineer (read: nerd), I thought it looked totally awesome. When gripping the club inside the store, I didn't notice the shaft at all, and it's pretty bright in there.

This doesn't answer your questions exactly but maybe it will help some. I have the RIP 70x in my R9 Supertri and I couldn't be happier with a driver. Never before have I hit fairways like I have this driver/shaft combo. I have used the RIP 60S in this driver as well but it just doesn't feel or perform like the 70X. I can't compare to other aldila shafts because I only hit them a few times before putting the 70X back in. The fitter was tinkering with the settings and it didn't seem to matter where the weights were or what the shaft was rotated to, the ball just kept going right where I was looking with good distance and height.

I believe this shaft would perform well with any head. My Supertri is set for neutral and neutral. (like that matters haha)

Thanks, everyone, for the input. The R11 with the Aldila Beta 60 is getting closer and closer to being added to my bag. Trust me, my bag couldn't be more excited.

I have noticed this in the RIP and R11 Blur Shafts.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. The R11 with the Aldila Beta 60 is getting closer and closer to being added to my bag. Trust me, my bag couldn't be more excited.

I just bought a R11 Graphics RIP Beta 60 Stiff for my R11, Cant wait to get it, should be here early next week. The Alpha worked so well for me in the Supertri and i figured since the R11 has been such lower spin and lower launch for me that the little extra spin and launch from the Beta would be great in the R11 for me. Im stoked to say the least

Well guys and gals im playing my first round tomorrow morning with the new RIP Beta in my R11, i will do a review of how it goes. Hit a couple on the range with it and its just as smooth as the Alpha, love the feel of it

I played my first round with the RIP Beta in my R11 and loved it just like i thought i would, very very smooth shaft with a very nice mid piercing trajectory. It was soaking wet and rained during the round so i couldnt judge roll out or anything like that. I will report back more after the mornings round.

Probably a stupid question, but I'm just wondering... Does the R11 with the RIP in it look like the default taylor made shafts or does it have some of aldila's design?

Probably a stupid question, but I'm just wondering... Does the R11 with the RIP in it look like the default taylor made shafts or does it have some of aldila's design?

It's the TM design that says RIP.

Rumour has it though that future shafts won't be done this way as the cost is getting too high for it.

Unfortunately, I'd rather get the original shaft from aldila than the TM generic one. Mine comes in the mail later this week.

Back