TaylorMade vs. Callaway driver tech battle

What driver tech was/is the bigger announcement?

• Callaway Paradym

Votes: 62 79.5%
  • TaylorMade Stealth

Votes: 16 20.5%

• Total voters

The Dave

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
TaylorMade - Carbon Fiber face
Callaway - Carbon Fiber 360 body

Both are big tech stories on the driver over the past year... knowing one was last year and one is "right now" so some of the Stealth glimmer is gone, but...

Which had the bigger "WOW" factor to you?

I would go with Callaway for me.

Paradym for me.

Calla had their way with Taylor made

TM.

I think the red carbon face definitely drew more attention.

the one that was Pleasingly Different

One had been done before, one hadn’t. Easy answer for me.

I don’t think it’s just one tech piece that matters, it’s the sum of all tech that truly matters. Face tech, weight savings thru carbon usage, how the weight savings are redistributed and weight adjustability (front to back and side to side) are all part of the recipe that achieve new performance gains even if they are relatively small gains.

The Stealth made a big splash but I never really understood the tech story. Lighter face. Ok, but why lighten the face? I can make assumptions but I would’ve liked confirmation. Callaway explained more about the tech. Whether I heard more because of the Grandaddy and the access that allows is an argument that could be made. But Callaway seems to have bigger coverage of their releases to get the message out there to the masses. So I’d give it to Callaway for the bigger announcement. Which has the bigger impact will be something to watch in the future.

I think the disruption/hype was bigger with the Stealth. They sold a lot of those to people I see & know.

Hard to remember my personal interest then but Paradym has my full attention now.

The Stealth made a big splash but I never really understood the tech story. Lighter face. Ok, but why lighten the face? I can make assumptions but I would’ve liked confirmation. Callaway explained more about the tech. Whether I heard more because of the Grandaddy and the access that allows is an argument that could be made. But Callaway seems to have bigger coverage of their releases to get the message out there to the masses. So I’d give it to Callaway for the bigger announcement. Which has the bigger impact will be something to watch in the future.
Same story with Stealth I think. Faster ball speed across the face and redistribution of weight.

:callaway:

Too early to tell but my feeling is Stealth. I understand the two are very different, but they are both carbon fiber stories. In that regard it feels like TM beat Callaway to the punch.

Same story with Stealth I think. Faster ball speed across the face and redistribution of weight.
Yeah, that was my assumption. And the forward weight track in the Plus was to reduce some of the added spin from the weight distribution. That’s where I think telling the story could‘ve helped make a bigger splash for TM’s Stealth announcement.

Not trying to sound like a Callaway homer, but how much (if at all) did the Stealth outsell the Rogue ST?

Did the general public buy into the carbon fiber face as better?

I know the red face really made it easy to identify on TV and market as a big change, but was it?

I know throwing a 3rd driver in that the LTDx was a strong seller in the fitting bays too...which Cobra has a new driver coming out that Bryson was raving about 10 months ago...

Too early to tell but my feeling is Stealth. I understand the two are very different, but they are both carbon fiber stories. In that regard it feels like TM beat Callaway to the punch.
Stealth was 20 years in the making, back to when Callaway released their carbon-faced driver

Cally saved more weight to redistribute to the front to lower spin and back to raise MOI. Same thing every company says they do when they save weight.

I know people here are afraid to say anything bad about Callaway but …. You hit the ball with the face not the body. The results Taylormade saw with the carbon face gets my vote over a titanium face and a carbon body.

Not trying to sound like a Callaway homer, but how much (if at all) did the Stealth outsell the Rogue ST?

Did the general public buy into the carbon fiber face as better?
I'm always curious to know about club sales, wish I could find that data. Idk if the general public bought into the Stealth tech or just thought it was cool looking and had a lot of marketing hype.

Cally saved more weight to redistribute to the front to lower spin and back to raise MOI. Same thing every company says they do when they save weight.

I know people here are afraid to say anything bad about Callaway but …. You hit the ball with the face not the body. The results Taylormade saw with the carbon face gets my vote over a titanium face and a carbon body.
Wait what?

These are both tech stories I am not saying one is better than the other.

Try the drivers out and see...I hit the Stealth last year in a fitting and the Rogue and the Srixon and LTDx...the LTDx won for me running away (with the Srixon 2nd) and they didn't have any groundbreaking fancy carbon fiber stories. Yes they used carbon fiber and weight low and back...but the more interesting story of my 2022 was that I hit the Tour Edge E722 just as good as the Cobra and I wasn't fit, went straight off their "speed tested" shaft recommendation and that's been outstanding. So, it's not always the story and actual performance will come into play...but the story will get more people to try it, so sell it up which TM did a very good job of last year

I think what Callaway is doing is more revolutionary. The Stealth was interesting to me, but not like WOW....but that's just me.

I would say that it seems like there is more tech packed into the Callaway, but the TaylorMade Stealth Plus gave me the best ball speeds of any driver I have hit in years, and in the end, the wow factor for me is performance. Something about the Stealth Plus was really magical for my swing.

I will look forward to comparing the two heads.

Brand agnostic here , both will command attention from the fan clubs and impetus they derive from advertising and Tour use etc

What’s more important is you don’t hit a opinion with ball , the best choice will be the best club that compliments the individual not the compliments the individual gives the club 😁

I think the disruption/hype was bigger with the Stealth.

That's a good word here. It definitely got people talking, good and bad.

Back